Thread: Whipple Tune - Is it full flash or cal only?

Whipple Tune - Is it full flash or cal only?

Hi, wondering if the supplied Whipple tune they send out on the Super chips programmer (in the kit) will be a full flash or a cal only flash. Based on the notes at the bottom, it may just flash the cal info since it says the cal has to be stock. If it was a full flash I would think it wouldn't matter what's in the ECU unless it reads it, apply's the changes, then writes the new tune.

Reason I'm asking is the kit is prob. 3 weeks from getting here and I just got 2bar support thanks to the latest 2.23.731 update so I want to start tuning that in (VE tables, etc) so when the Whipple kit gets here I'll be ready for it.

I was thinking if it's cal only i can just flash the PCM with the whipple tune, then copy it out and apply some of the changes manually to my 2bar tune.

I don't want to have to copy the Whipple tune and re-apply the 2bar enhancement and spend more money if I spend money doing this to my tune right now.

Notes in the Whipple Instructions:
    Your computer must have a stock unaltered file or programmer will not load.
     If you car has been tuned you will need to return it to stock before proceeding
     If you’re unable to return it to stock you will need to take it to a GM dealer and have them update the computer.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Could be either. Without the .hpt file and an infolog while connected to the vehicle in question its only a guess as to which though.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

I was hoping someone would chime in with a "just read" .hpt from their Whipple.. there seems to be a few around here or confirm the Whipple files in the repo are as loaded and read from an ECU (confirm it's not locked).

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    Notes in the Whipple Instructions:
    Your computer must have a stock unaltered file or programmer will not load.
     If you car has been tuned you will need to return it to stock before proceeding
     If you’re unable to return it to stock you will need to take it to a GM dealer and have them update the computer.
    I would just leave it and wait, good chance it will cost ya more in the long run if you dont.

If you apply 2bar before using the whipple programer, you won't have to pay twice... Once the custom is licensed and modifies the OEM OS, it's yours. Even if [credits are] needed to edit (and they're not), you don't have to license the Whipple cal to be able to use it in compare.

So you can do this... Go ahead and apply the custom OS and do what you will. Once you get the Whipple kit and programmer, do a full write to get back to to the OEM OS. Do this with your STOCK OEM FILE. Use the Whipple tuner to flash the car. Read the file out with HPTuners. After that, use the Whipple programmer again to set the car back to STOCK programming. Now, the handheld is no longer locked and can be re-used. Use HPTuners and do a FULL WRITE of your 2bar file again to get that back on. You will have the copy of the Whipple file to use in compare. You are better off to use the actual IFR that matches those 60s and tune it on your own.

That said, I'm sold on Whipple; I really like them for a lot of reasons.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Thanks Frost, that was kinda what I was thinking with the flashing/reading/borrowing info from the Whipple tune.. I didn't know the Whipple Superchips programmer would lock to the car though (if I understood you correctly).

I'll try it in that order thanks for re-assuring me. I agree, staring with as much of the Whipple tune is what I want to do. The one thing that makes me nervous is I don't know what they used to program their tune... if they adjusted something we cant see in HPTuners.. well.. we'll never know.

In the meantime I did apply the custom 2bar.. it went great no problems with full flash on a 2010 Camaro.. didn't have to relearn anything related to Vats, clutch, etc. Full flashed it and it started right up.
    In the past I had problems with a full flash on a spare E38 in this car... never got any of the Vats, clutch.. etc. working.
    I did have to pay $100 since I was out of credits so lets hope all goes well with the Whipple tune!

It doesn't lock the car; the tuner is locked TO the car once the car is programmed until you use the handheld to again return the car to stock. At that point, that programmer could actually program another same year/trans setup. If you program the car back to stock with HPT INSTEAD of the handheld, the handheld will never be able to flash ANYTHING again and will be just a code reader. It has little value as a programmer that can program a car still, but I just wanted to point that out.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    It doesn't lock the car; the tuner is locked TO the car once the car is programmed until you use the handheld to again return the car to stock. At that point, that programmer could actually program another same year/trans setup. If you program the car back to stock with HPT INSTEAD of the handheld, the handheld will never be able to flash ANYTHING again and will be just a code reader. It has little value as a programmer that can program a car still, but I just wanted to point that out.
    Yea that's a very good point you have there since I surely would have turned it into an overpriced code reader. Thank you very much!!

What else do you know about this programmer? Using this method can I only flash and unflash the Whipple tune or is there more you can do with it without spending extra money to download tunes from Superchips?

I don't think there is much of anything else that you can do with it.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

every supercharger tune i have edited (edelbrock,magnasun) have been just 1 bar and stock op.
    they basically just tune the maff for fueling ve is close to stock on the gen4's
    97 k2500 ecsb 5.7l/4l80/4x4 0411 pcm,thorley tri-y's,true duals(no cats),msd ign.,zz4 cam, tuned with efi live