Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issues with XLR-V tune

Potential Tuner

Issues with XLR-V tune

I'm having some issues with a XLR-V that has a D3 pulley kit. No matter what I do, I can't get it to boost above .77 bar (11 psi). The pulley is supposed to bring boost up to 15 psi. I set the boost map enable and disable values up higher (210 and 230), I turned up desired torque under the supercharger section of TM to the highest values for 85 and 100% throttle (going off of memory here). I'm beginning to think that there's a mechanical issue and not the computer pulling boost, unless there's something I missed. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Probably mechanical. What was boost before the pulley?
    1971 Corvette-LS3 swap with custom cam. Stainless headers and sheet metal intake built by the owner. 442rwhp.

2007 STS-V-Billet Precision 67mm turbo swap. 563rwhp@15psi.

1991 Camaro-6.0 swap with LS6 heads and custom cam. Headers and other swap bits fabricated by myself (wife's car)

Log your boost bypass to see when its opening. Can you post the tune and a scan?
    2013 OBM A6 CTS-V Coupe
    Mods: Headers back Billy Boat Exhaust, GripTec 2.65, 8.6 PowerBond Lower, LSX Innovations Solid Isolator, ID850's, NGK TR7IX's, Accel 9070CK Wires, Spectre CAI, SRI Ported Throttle Body, SRI Catch Can, NGK AFRM, 160* T-Stat, 0fx2gv Brick, Hard Line Delete W/3/4" Lines, FB 101 FMIC, Pierberg CWA50, Stoptech Drilled/Slotted Rotors, EBC Redstuff, Cut Stock Springs, Flat Bottom Steering Wheel
    2006 Black Raven STS-V (Traded In)
    Fully Modded: 459RWHP@5888rpm/451lbft@4696rpm

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TimC View Post
    Probably mechanical. What was boost before the pulley?
    Not sure. I didn't get a chance to log the car before the pulley kit was installed.

Quote Originally Posted by PGA2B View Post
    Log your boost bypass to see when its opening. Can you post the tune and a scan?
    I didn't think of doing that, that's a great idea! When the car comes back to the shop I'll try that.

I have the last scan when it was on my dyno and the current tune, would you like me to attach that?

Quote Originally Posted by kaosman View Post
    Not sure. I didn't get a chance to log the car before the pulley kit was installed.

I didn't think of doing that, that's a great idea! When the car comes back to the shop I'll try that.

I have the last scan when it was on my dyno and the current tune, would you like me to attach that?
    I would like to see that. What's your altitude?
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    Good question ? And also what is your ambient temp ...seen small variation between summer Above100f and winter 60f ... About 1.5 to 2 psi ..
    specialize in: V8 Conversion & Tuning (UAE- DUBAI)
    supercharge installation
    Salah clutches for Nissan, Toyota and GM car

Potential Tuner
    Roughly 700 feet at my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by 4evervette View Post
    Good question ? And also what is your ambient temp ...seen small variation between summer Above100f and winter 60f ... About 1.5 to 2 psi ..
    Ambient temps were in the 90s at the time we were running the car on the dyno.

When will the car be back?
    2013 OBM A6 CTS-V Coupe
    Mods: Headers back Billy Boat Exhaust, GripTec 2.65, 8.6 PowerBond Lower, LSX Innovations Solid Isolator, ID850's, NGK TR7IX's, Accel 9070CK Wires, Spectre CAI, SRI Ported Throttle Body, SRI Catch Can, NGK AFRM, 160* T-Stat, 0fx2gv Brick, Hard Line Delete W/3/4" Lines, FB 101 FMIC, Pierberg CWA50, Stoptech Drilled/Slotted Rotors, EBC Redstuff, Cut Stock Springs, Flat Bottom Steering Wheel

Well the way I see it on most blower cars is that you see 1 pound of boost loss per every 1,000 feet in elevation. You're not going to quite hit 15 psi, especially if the car has less restrictive exhaust as opposed to factory.

Now it should make 14psi at least unless either one of two things are happening. Either the main accessory pulley is spinning on the crank under high load, or the bypass is opening probably due to a MAP overload of some sort. Can you locate the bypass and wire it closed and then make a pull?
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Potential Tuner
    When will the car be back?
    The owner will be bringing it back over this Saturday morning so I can try to get this figured out.

Well the way I see it on most blower cars is that you see 1 pound of boost loss per every 1,000 feet in elevation. You're not going to quite hit 15 psi, especially if the car has less restrictive exhaust as opposed to factory.

Now it should make 14psi at least unless either one of two things are happening. Either the main accessory pulley is spinning on the crank under high load, or the bypass is opening probably due to a MAP overload of some sort. Can you locate the bypass and wire it closed and then make a pull?
    The owner was told by D3 that we'd only see 11-12 psi post intercooler, which would make sense with the 1.77 kPa I'm seeing, but a 3-4 psi drop seems pretty large?

I did try forcing the bypass closed and it did not like that. Ended up running on 6 cylinders after the pull, that's how it sounded anyways. My laptop glitched up during the run so I never saw how much boost it made. It set several codes and idled very rough, MAP was 80ish kPa, for a minute I thought the engine let go, that's how bad it sounded. Cleared the codes, set the bypass valve back to stock, and it fired up smooth.

Another question, you can see in the scan where a bunch of timing gets pulled out around 4000-4500. I know this has to be because of the torque management settings...there's a pretty big dip in the power recorded by the dyno where the timing gets pulled to 0 degrees. Looking in the TM section under the General tab, it seems that the max torque per gear values and max torque per RPM are already maxed out. How can I go about removing TM on this car?

This might help. It was tuned by the shop that tunes all D3's cars in CA.
    Last edited by PGA2B; 08-22-2012 at 11:21 PM.
    2013 OBM A6 CTS-V Coupe

Potential Tuner
    Thanks!

No problem. Maybe you can find something to help you in it.
    2013 OBM A6 CTS-V Coupe

Tuner in Training
    This might help. It was tuned by the shop that tunes all D3's cars in CA.
    PGA2B, I don't think this file you posted is from a D3 car...

I did a compare on this file with the one in this thread (below) where the tune was done by D'Agostino Racing in Boston and its a 100% match.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14512

Maybe you meant to upload a different file?
    Last edited by deadringer; 08-23-2012 at 10:43 PM. Reason: typo

Tuner in Training

kaosman,

could you upload the stock XLR-V file you're working on so we can do a compare and see whats been adjusted?

Quote Originally Posted by deadringer View Post
    PGA2B, I don't think this file you posted is from a D3 car...

Maybe you meant to upload a different file?
    When I got the file that is what I was told.

If it was from Boston then it's Boston. My bad.

I don't have any other XLR-V files.

There are very knowledgeable members of this forum and maybe they can help.
    Last edited by PGA2B; 08-24-2012 at 11:15 AM.
    2013 OBM A6 CTS-V Coupe

Tuner in Training
    When I got the file that is what I was told.

If it was from Boston then it's Boston. The fact still remains that the car has a D3 Pulley, Intake and was tuned. He can still compare it to his and see what differences there are and maybe see something he has not addressed.
    Ya this file from boston is not from the D3 tuner... I don't know if its going to of much value (to anyone)

if you read the other thread where that file was posted, the guy was having all sorts of issues with this tune which is why he posted it so he could get some help... he said the car wasn't even drive-able as he was having lean issues and couldn't control the AFR nor spark. He said the car basically wouldn't work without installing the D3 MAP device - it wouldn't be a good idea to use it as template.
    Last edited by deadringer; 08-24-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: typo

Ok, then what is your suggestion?
    2013 OBM A6 CTS-V Coupe

Tuner in Training
    Ok, then what is your suggestion?
    I feel like the smart thing to do is the wait to hear back from kaosman and get the stock file to see whats been changed.

If you do a compare on this XLR file against an STS file its different in a lot of ways.

Once we get that then we can start contemplating what could be wrong.
    Last edited by deadringer; 08-24-2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: typo

You can't compare an XLR-V to an STS-V. There are too many variables that are vastly different. Even though they share mostly the same engine, as far as tuning the files are not even in the same ballpark. Seems like the only thing they share is that they are a PITA to tune right.

The car will be at his shop tomorrow and hopefully the forum can help him.
    Last edited by PGA2B; 08-24-2012 at 11:54 AM.
    2013 OBM A6 CTS-V Coupe