Thread: Tuning for a rough (cammed) idle.......LSJ Ecotec.

Tuning for a rough (cammed) idle.......LSJ Ecotec.

I know you can tune for a rough cammed idle sound with HPT on LS motors....can the same be done for the LSJ/Eco motors?

FWIS in the LS world its all to do with idle spark/underspeed/overspeed...like retard a degree or so...........any thougt?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    the lsj has fixed position camshaft gears so no you cannot.
    if you move the timing to bandaid this you risk damage
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Just pull vac line off manifold and that will do it but you will have good chance of killing your engine with sucking crap in to it.

wow guys. you misunderstand me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY2phcqg5Tk
    Last edited by bonylad; 08-19-2012 at 06:41 PM.

so basically you want your car to idle rough.. thats going to hurt something down the road.. all that is doing is making a lope with settings in hptuners and makings to extreme so the car idles rough and to be honest thats not good..
    2003 Ford excursion 6.0 PSD
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    KC billet single plane compressor wheel
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    AEM progressive water meth
    Custom suspension air bags
    8" lift
    35" tires

Quote Originally Posted by projectlnf View Post
    so basically you want your car to idle rough.. thats going to hurt something down the road.. all that is doing is making a lope with settings in hptuners and makings to extreme so the car idles rough and to be honest thats not good..
    Im thinking about it. I had Trifecta before this and Vince and tuned for a rough idle. Sounded good.

Quote Originally Posted by bonylad View Post
    Im thinking about it. I had Trifecta before this and Vince and tuned for a rough idle. Sounded good.
    my main concern is yeah they can tune it for a rough idle.. but whats the advantage?
    2003 Ford excursion 6.0 PSD
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    KC billet single plane compressor wheel
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    AEM progressive water meth
    Custom suspension air bags
    8" lift
    35" tires

Quote Originally Posted by projectlnf View Post
    my main concern is yeah they can tune it for a rough idle.. but whats the advantage?
    sounding tough..........lol!

no advantage just sound. if it can be done safely i dont see a problem with it but according to post 2 it cant be done without risking damage.

i dont think the lsj has the cam adjustability of the lnf or the new 5.0 which seems to be popular for the cam thing.
    2008 Sky RL

the ls tables are in the lsj so follow his guide and play with it if you got to have it.

ive learned this through the lnf and i bet it ties to you seeing as ur an ecotec family block as well.
    with 4 less cylinders is its easier to throw missfire codes.
    the crank sensor test is designed to constantly look for a continuous smooth signal that fluctuates. if the signal harshly dips then picks up (as in ms of time) the computer throws a code. if you dissable the crank sensor (no error reported or dissable) the car will not have cruise control and quite possible may not start.
    the extra 4 cylinders in the v8 smooths out the signal dips and rises caused by the cams or sweeping idle recalibrations and allows the test to be passed. in short the extra cyl in the v8 makes it a heck of alot easier to fake the crank sensor test and its harder to roughen up the clarity.
    v8 tdc compression occurs every 90* of rotation
    i4 tdc compression occurs every 180* of rotation

its quite obvious if a hole misses once in the v8 that the next cylinder is close enough to help maintan a smooth signal.

There is almost always concequences for forcing a motor to run in a state that its wasnt designed for....(ex: flasifying sensor and output data to achieve a style of sound that would normally come from upgrades that are already designed to run safely with the correct calibration information)

Not trying to make this a lecture just putting out food for thought.

Tuner in Training
    That is my video guide. All you are doing is making the idle adjustaments more dramatic.
    2019 Camaro SS A10
    Long Tubes, CAI, Ported lt2 intake, Ported TB, and Flex fuel.

quite possibly the dumbest thing i've ever heard..........most people tune for a smooth idle. If you want a cammed sound add a set of cams.....
    2001 Z06
    JCR fabbed Twin Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by jimbos'ss View Post
    quite possibly the dumbest thing i've ever heard..........most people tune for a smooth idle. If you want a cammed sound add a set of cams.....
    im not looking for a full on lope....just a lil roughness. just a thought and question to post to the forum, no need to make comments like that?

I understand where you're coming from, OP, and I do agree with liking the sound.

I wish us LNF guys could get a set of cams to get that sound but with the cam phasing and whatnot it'll never have it when in closed loop

I would just recommend saving for some ZZP cams and gain power as well as sound in your LSJ.
    Total Masshole.
    2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost - STOCK
    2013 Mustang GT Premium - Lots of Mods, 424 RWHP SOLD
    2009 Cobalt SS/TC Black Sedan
    227whp/224wtq Stock. Dejon CP, K&N SRI, Forge BPV, Catless, BadMab Catless DP, MPx 3" Catback, HPT Tuned 328whp/425wtq. SOLD
    2004 GTO Pulse Red 1 of 512 - R.I.P. 5/31/09

Matt and I already did it for the lnf.. Why didn't release it to public: misfire codes and disabling the crank sensor causes loss of cruise and other problems.