Thread: H2C Cam Installed. Now a small miss on wot

Advanced Tuner

H2C Cam Installed. Now a small miss on wot

Right after the install at around 5200 rpm in first and second gear at wot I get a little blip before accelerating hard again. It is probably just coincidental and something else is wrong.

I have double lunati double springs. They have 30000 miles on them. I ordered the livernois spring package and it will be installed this Wed.

Is this a good starting point? Anything else to look at? update. livernois spring package installed. no difference.

Cam is a 117 lsa 646 lift on intake and exhaust. 224 236 duration
    Last edited by CactusG8; 08-12-2012 at 12:49 PM.

tune n log please. sounds lean to me. Should've just ordered your springs direct from PAC IMO. I have a hatred towards Livernois.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Advanced Tuner
    well this wed. the spring package will go on and then my tuner is going to tune it. i just put the reckart 102 maf meter on and switched the pins and used the ls3 multiplier. i know what you are going to say. but it is not the maf meter. it was doing it with the stock one. how do you scan for afr on wot??? i see in the scanner it gives me stft and ltfts. but that is for partial throttle. and that actually is a little rich. Andy from Livernois sais it may be the cam dynamics. I asked him to clarify what this is. It has been over a day. He has not responded. If it still does it after the spring package install and all other items are ruled out I asked Andy for an exchange to a cam with so called less dynamics. 2rmax. i had the regular 2c and thought the high 2 c would be nice with my ported gmpp heads from landspeed.

Quote Originally Posted by CactusG8 View Post
    well this wed. the spring package will go on and then my tuner is going to tune it. i just put the reckart 102 maf meter on and switched the pins and used the ls3 multiplier. i know what you are going to say. but it is not the maf meter. it was doing it with the stock one. how do you scan for afr on wot??? i see in the scanner it gives me stft and ltfts. but that is for partial throttle. and that actually is a little rich. Andy from Livernois sais it may be the cam dynamics. I asked him to clarify what this is. It has been over a day. He has not responded. If it still does it after the spring package install and all other items are ruled out I asked Andy for an exchange to a cam with so called less dynamics. 2rmax. i had the regular 2c and thought the high 2 c would be nice with my ported gmpp heads from landspeed.
    You can't see AFR without a WBO2. Be safe, add about 10% to your MAF on the WOT part then smooth it out. That'll richen shit out, and make sure it is going into PE mode.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Advanced Tuner
    thank you. will do. at any rate a combo of the spring package and a dyno tune should help. it could be so many things. bad injector, fuel pump, it could even be my yank 3600 stall or transmission. update. spring package did not make a difference.
    Last edited by CactusG8; 08-12-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    ok, i learned how to insert the pid for tcc slip. here it is. mind you i have a 3600 stall. i got the livernois spring kit installed. no difference. still that miss/slip. please look at it and tell me if it is normal considering it is a stall converter.

In order to view it you have to go to recent configurations, then choose the sliptcc config. which I believe is listed first and then go to displays and charts. Fram 5000 on seems to be good for a view. You will notice it is at full throttle with an 88 percent tps and when it shifts into second you will see the tcc slip go way up. That is where it hesitates and then the tach will jump a moment later a few hundred rpm. It seems that the tcc's efficiency is only around 80 percent there. But I have never read a log before so I may be wrong.
    Last edited by CactusG8; 08-12-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    so can anyone analyze the tcc log i have?

Tuner
    I see nothing.
    You've got a bit of wheelspin on the 1-2 and the tcc slip rpm could be a function of the converter itself. Most refer to it as "shift extension". At a 6400rpm shift you're only dropping back to 4900 in 2nd, yet my car with a stock converter drops to 4400.
    O2's look lean, for what they're worth. And please don't think you need to spend money on a different cam.
    Where exactly are you at?
    2013 ZL1 A6

Advanced Tuner
    In Tucson. I am stumped then. Someone told me the transmission clutches are done. But they did not go inside the transmission to confirm.

My tuner who is in Phoenix is betting he finds something electrical.

He is booked up until the 22nd and will analyze it then.

It's easy to know if you have a bad fuel pump, INJ DC will be through the roof. You don't have a Wideband? No more WOT for you until you get your fueling/tune lined out.
    Last edited by IDRIVEAG8GT; 08-13-2012 at 01:23 PM.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Advanced Tuner
    lol, idriveag8gt. for kicks what should be O2 sensors read around wot? At wot mine are between 860 to 905. I looked around the board. Probably around 900 to 925 would be safer until the tune. I added another 2 percent to the maf table and smoothed it. The 22nd I will get the tune.

Is INJ DC something I can look at and something I can add as a PID? And once I add it what should I look for?
    Last edited by CactusG8; 08-12-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I added two percent to the maf tables. I know, I should not of gone wot IDRIVEAG8GT. At any rate when the tps is at 88 percent, wot, I got the readings in the 890 to 910 arena. There was no kr before and certainly not now.

Also I set the engine diagnostics back to stock. The tuner had them at 32768. With all cams you get small counts of misfires at idle. very minor. 2 here and then it goes to 0. So with the stock settings I looked at the misfire count for every single cylinder. NONE while cruising or on WOT. only at idle a couple here and there which is normal.

So if it was internal in the engine I think we can eliminate that. Also low fuel would cause a misfire. None. So I think we are back to the TCC or Transmission. It is probably the transmission.

Tuner
    Log input and output shaft rpm. If you think it's slipping that might show it.
    2013 ZL1 A6

Advanced Tuner
    actually i got a code a couple of weeks ago cruising around. something about the turbine speed of the input and output shaft being different. i looked it up. said it could be from one of four things.

low transmission fluid. it is full

faulty solenoid. i do not know

faulty solenoid wiring. i do not know

transmission or torque converter toast. i do not know

i cleared the code and it never came back.

will do what you say some time tomorrow.

Advanced Tuner
    ummmm, ok, i do not mind patting IDRIVEAG8 on the back and saying he is at least partially right if not 100 percent correct. This miss at 5100 in first and second only happened after my cam swap. Nothing bad against Patrick G. But I did not like the cam for the street and I thought it was not performing that great. I think it was a 227/238 .648/.615 114 lsa. My tuner had tuned for it. I thought I was putting in a cam which would need less fuel, a mellower cam. 224/236 .646/.646 117 lsa. H2C Cam. So whether it was with the old maf or the new one I was getting that quick miss. With the new maf I even said what the heck and took the stock ls3 maf frequency tables and multiplied them first by 5 percent and then by another few percent. Still the quick miss at 5100 in first and second. Mind you though hp tuners said there were no misses. But I guess when you are lean the cylinder is still firing and maybe no miss is recorded. Then for giggles I went into an 09 corvette's ls3 maf table on here who was running a hefty cam. I loaded it in and I saw his maf frequencys were even higher than mine multiplied out. Well at 5100 rpm all the misses are gone. Now I am getting a little miss at 4100 rpm. What maf frequency part of the table controls 3600 to 4600 rpm? I see my tuner next Wednesday. Thank goodness!

Advanced Tuner
    If you had your vehicle tuned none of this would be a problem. Get a wideband and tune your vehicle please.
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 1LT RS

Formerly - 2004 GTO, 2002 Z28, 2007 Colorado, 2008 Silverado

Don't feel bad. I'm going to have fun tuning my G8's new cam. 227/239 .651/.651 on a 112. :O

And Cactus, since it appears that you've got run time on it being WAY lean because it wasn't missing it was (LEAN POPPING), it would be wise of you to pull out your plugs and go ahead and install a set of NGK TR55GP's when you get ready to correctly tune tour WOT fuel. I'm really digging the GP series for ease of tuning.
    Last edited by IDRIVEAG8GT; 08-17-2012 at 12:11 PM.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

What do the GP series plugs do differently from a tune perspective?

Quote Originally Posted by camarochevy1970 View Post
    What do the GP series plugs do differently from a tune perspective?
    In my personal experience they just make for a cleaner fuel burn and can handle more abuse of high cylinder pressures and knock doesn't usually cause the internals to break.

By that I mean that the ECM can do a better job telling you what the tune needs with these plugs.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray