Thread: Low load tuning with stock O2?

Tuner in Training

Low load tuning with stock O2?

I have a '93 RX7 with a L92 from a '07 escalade and a T56 manual trans and the car runs/drives pretty darn well. I've gotten high load A/F sorted on a dyno, with the wideband in the tail pipe, but it has a slight stumble at 1700rpm and light throttle and the LTFTs are all over the place at low rpm. I cruise in the 1500-1800 rpm range so this gets annoying. I have a wideband but no bung in the exhaust for it.

My question is this: am I okay to tune the part throttle stuff with the stock O2 sensors or should I pull a stock sensor out and put the wideband in there? Or, option three, just suck it up and get a bung welded in for the wideband sensor? This is all very light load stuff, just cruising around on city streets or at "slower" freeway speeds. Thanks for the help!

Advanced Tuner
    There's no reason you can't try using STFT(as long as your narrowbands are working well) while in open loop MAF and then SD to try and get your non-WOT air fuel situated.

Wideband is the preferred method though.

Is the engine stock or do you have something done to it?
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 1LT RS

Formerly - 2004 GTO, 2002 Z28, 2007 Colorado, 2008 Silverado

Tuner in Training
    The engine is stock internally, I swapped to a LS3 intake and injectors and am running a credit card style maf as well. Other than that I just have a free flowing intake, long tubes and full exhaust.

I do all my part throttle tuning with the narrow bands/fuel trims. I do both at the same time with a filter. One histo plots STFTs (LTFTs disabled) against the VE table (or MAF if you're running a MAF tune) while commanded AFR (sens.121) is > 14 and another histo plots AFR Error against the same table when sens.121<14. Just have to be sure not to overlap when you're making corrections.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the replies guys, I've been logging my trips to work (~6miles) and then doing a little playing at night. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time but I seem to be working in the right direction. I'll just keep making small changes. The car already seems to drive smoother. I think smoothing out my spark tables helped that too. I'm in no rush and I know it's a bit of a process.