Thread: Fan won't turn off?

Senior Tuner

Fan won't turn off?

08 Corvette with one fan. Ideally I would only like for the fan to run only when coolant temp. gets to 192* or above as indicated in my file. I've tried both the stock file and the file I would like to run. The fan runs around 17-20% with either when engine is cold or anywhere less than 192*. Don't know if something is wrong in my file or if I have an electrical problem.

The fan will turn off with the VCM controls. Indication to me that something in my file is causing the fan to run at all times.

First attachment is my stock settings.

I've seen it do that when you have anything more than ~25% in the 192 cell but strange that it does it with the stock settings too. I wouldn't worry about it, how long are you under 192 degrees anyway?
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Senior Tuner
    Thanks Bill, I run 180s on the freeway with my 160 tstat even in 90s ambient. No reason to have the fan running at that time. When I first tuned my car the fan ran only with my file somewhere above 25% @ 192*. It did not run at 25% as you are indicating. Don't know why this has changed.

Guess I could run my lap top all the time and use the VCM controls to keep it off. Some how I don't see that should be necessary!

Yea I agree it is strange. But only a minor inconvenience.

PS: 180 degrees in 90's ambient..... nlnnln. Iron block and two turbos heating up my oil I can MAYBE keep it at 200 but a few blasts and it'll go to 220 and have a hard time coming down. I need an EOC.
    Bill Winters

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    Yea I agree it is strange. But only a minor inconvenience.

PS: 180 degrees in 90's ambient..... nlnnln. Iron block and two turbos heating up my oil I can MAYBE keep it at 200 but a few blasts and it'll go to 220 and have a hard time coming down. I need an EOC.
    Almost 900 hp may have something to do with that. LOL Do you have the stock radiator?

Yes, my problem is minor incovenience but If an easy file fix might let the fan live a little longer.

yea stock fan and radiator, z51 radiator with built in oil and transmission coolers except I had to delete the oil cooler when the turbos went on. I know what I have to do; More cooling capacity, more airflow and oil cooler.
    Bill Winters

Senior Tuner
    I'm sure you have checked for bugs and dirt in the evaporator and bent fins on both evap and radiator but with yours being an 05 might have some solidification in the radiator cooling tubes. Do you use distilled water? Tap water tends to clog those radiator veins quickly.

I found too that I had bent fins on the engine side of my radiator. Had to pull the fan to straighten them. Just another thought. But again with those turbos a bigger radiator might be the only solution.

Yea the radiator and condenser are clean and straight. I don't use distilled water so that is possible but when I had the LS2 and blower I was able to operate closer to 180 like you.
    Bill Winters

Senior Tuner
    Used to be able to just open the radiator cap and you could tell if solidification was a problem. Not sure how to determine with these new type. I bet that is some of your problem though if you have not been using distilled. And too I'm sure an intercooler in front of your radiator doesn't help.