Thread: 5.3 engine, ls2 ecu, best method?

Tuner in Training

5.3 engine, ls2 ecu, best method?

I have a latemodel jeep with a swapped 5.3 that i am trying to get running right. Up till now I have used HP to tune older stuff and was always able to find my answers by reading and searching, but this one I need a little bit of guidence.

The ecu is a GMPP ls2 ecu and harness assembly. I have attached the factory read from the ecu. It looks like a standard ls2 manual trans calibration to me.

The engine is an ly9 engine. New, not "out of anything" it was bought as a new complete engine. It has the factory map sensors, cam, crank, coolant, ect. It also uses the factory throttle body and pedal assembly to my knowledge. I know nothing about the particulars of this engine in regards to what its pecs are from the factory, what systems it has (varable cam, mds, ect) I am "ly9 ignorant"

My question is what is the best method for getting the values and tables for the engine into this ecu?
    Does this engine code have variable cam?

I was hoping to find a suitable calibration in the repository, but I am not sure exactly which to use for this engine, any ideas? After I download a suitable file, should I register it, spend the 2 credits and write entirly to this ecu? Or should i spend the time cuting and pasting tables? Cutting and pasting seems like alot of room for a missed value. Also will the calibration from that engines original ecu "fit" in the ls2 pcm? Things like the zone based ve, mds, variable cam, ect.

As it sets now i get a bunch of codes for trims, and the occational limp mode and DBW codes.

Thanx alot for the help.
    Last edited by FastSpec; 07-30-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Ly9?

Tuner in Training
    Thats what I was told.

Tuner in Training
    nevermind
    Last edited by jpracing01; 07-30-2012 at 12:33 PM.
    2008 Twin turbo TBSS, Precision 6766, 385 LS2, ID2000s

Quote Originally Posted by FastSpec View Post
    ... The engine is an ly9 engine. New, not "out of anything" it was bought as a new complete engine. It has the factory map sensors, cam, crank, coolant, ect. It also uses the factory throttle body and pedal assembly to my knowledge. I know nothing about the particulars of this engine in regards to what its pecs are from the factory, what systems it has (variable cam, mds, ect) I am "ly9 ignorant" ...
    If it is a "new" 5.3L crate engine, odds are it is an LC9. These came equipped with VVT (Variable Valve Timing) & AFM (Active Fuel Management), and were Flex Fuel compatible.

Take a look at the front engine cover in the area directly behind the water pump. If the front engine cover is a perfectly flat, uninterrupted piece - then no VVT. If it has a circular impression (typically with a connector) then it is VVT.

Also, if the front extension harness from the CMP has a 3 wire connector - no VVT. If it has a 5 wire connector - then VVT.

Tuner in Training
    I will go look right now.
    Thanx alot.

Tuner in Training
    Went and looked. The front cover is flat with a sensor that pops out on the drivers side with 3 wires. red black and white. So that looks like no vvt.

Tuner in Training
    Borescoped front of engine behind PS pump. Looks like a "IV" cast into front of drivers side bank, but I do not see any 6.0 or 5.3/4.8 numbers there as well.

I can get any other pics if it helps.

Thanx alot so far, you guys rock.
    Last edited by FastSpec; 07-30-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Tuner in Training
    So research so far. KNK sensor indicates gen4. 3 wire front cover indiactes no vvt.

Anything else I may have missed? Also assuming this is just a 5.3 liter non vvt engine, my origianl question comes up, what is the best way to get the proper values from one stock tune file (the 5.3 truck) onto the ecu that I have? The ecu I have supports vvt and the zone based ve but I'm not sure if the proper values for a 5.3 without vvt exist in the same ve format and logic this ecu runs.
    I was under the impression that all the 05 up gen4 5.3 liters had vvt and active fuel (wich also dictate the zone based ve). Or am I wrong?
    Last edited by FastSpec; 07-30-2012 at 06:31 PM.

First you need to figure out what engine you have, before you can start plugging in known values into the tune - injector / MAP / etc.

The engine looks a fair bit older than your original post led me to believe. The photos were helpful - not a 6.2L nor a 6.0L.

Two more things to check - take a look at the rear of the block behind the intake manifold. Does the original oil pressure sensor thread into the block, or into the top engine cover under the intake manifold ?

Is the MAP connector a Delphi or a Bosch style ? Unplug the MAP connector from the MAP, and post a photo of the connector if you want.

Tuner in Training

Hope that helps.

... Hope that helps ...
    Yes sir, it does help ... the engine is a 2007 or 2008 model year.

Once you let me know about the configuration of the OEM Oil Pressure Sender - will be able to determine if its a 4.8L or 5.3L.

Tuner in Training
    Oil pressure sender screws into the cover not the bock. Also, having had to crawl around behind the manifold, there is a conector in the cover that is not plugged in. I assume that is for the cylinder shut off, but i do not know.
    Last edited by FastSpec; 07-31-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Oil pressure sender screws into the cover not the bock. Also, having had to crawl around behind the manifold, there is a conector in the cover that is not plugged in. I assume that is for the cylinder shut off, but i do not know.
    Yes sir it is ... means the engine is a 5.3L with AFM.

Now that we know what the engine is ... to your original tuning questions.

The tune you posted is a standard GMPP E67 Crate Engine tune. It uses two MAF tables (Low & High). The 2007 truck tunes also used two MAF tables - the 2008+ truck tunes use a single MAF table.

So sourcing a 2007 5.3L AFM truck tune should provide reasonably accurate parameter data - if the engine is otherwise stock.

You may have some compatibility issues ...

The GMPP OS you posted is for use with 2005-2008 Corvette style TB (silver blade - sometimes referred to as an LS2 TB). It won't like your truck TB.

The GMPP OS is also configured for a GMPP APP (gas pedal). Again, it won't like your truck APP.

Hence the DBW (TB & APP) related DTCs you have been experiencing.

Your choices are - use the GMPP ECM and purchase the compatible TB and APP, or - use the truck TB and APP, and use a production E38 ECM.