Thread: 2012 Chevy Cruze 1.4L turbo tuning and basic mods expected gains...

Potential Tuner

2012 Chevy Cruze 1.4L turbo tuning and basic mods expected gains...

Hey everybody,

I'm new to the forum. Hurray for newbz?

Anyways, my friend just bought a 2012 Chevy Cruze 1.4L turbo, auto (as she gets stuck in rush hour sometimes on her daily commute). I was wondering what kind of gains could be produced by adding an intake kit, catback exhaust, and a good tune. (All of which would have to be "warranty approved" upgrades, unfortunately.)

Like I said, it's her daily driver, so the exhaust note cant be too ridiculous either. And the power gains should (if possible) be reletively smooth/even accross the board. She's also on a relative budget, so the cheaper, the better.

I've only got theorhetical knowledge on tuning turbo engines, but I understand the basics of car tuning. I know that for turbos, (as well as most engines) the exhaust, a tune, and an intake are the basic starters. But am I missing anything else really basic, like throttle body spacer, or blow off valve, or anything that would produce great dollar to hp ratio gains? If anyone is running a similar budget friendly, warranty approved setup, some links to parts/tunes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Gorack

P.S. Would 200hp and 200lb~ft of torque be achievable for say $2000?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Doubtful. They only make like 100hp at the wheels stock from my understanding. You arent going to double the output for 2kthe imo. 40hp to the wheels i think is possible though.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Doubtful. They only make like 100hp at the wheels stock from my understanding. You arent going to double the output for 2kthe imo. 40hp to the wheels i think is possible though.
    Au contraire mon frère! Chris has kindly provided us with all the necessary calibration parameters to boost this little motor into the stratosphere. I just ran a 15.1 second 1/4 mile at 90mph http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-C...lip-24443.html on a hot sunny day with only $1K in mods (2011 Cruze LT Automatic, no weight reduction, 93 octane pump gas, street tires). I will be back on the dyno today and then at the track again tonight (nice cool 70F weather predicted) and expect a 14.8-14.9 second run (I have recorded these times already using a GPS based measurement system, so I just need the weather and track conditions to make it official ;P ).

Any performance modifications will effect your warranty until the official GMPP Stage 1 kit is released.

Cheers,
    Brian
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LT: 15.110 @ 89.380 MPH

Vermont Tuning LLC
    1806 Sweet Hollow Road
    Sheldon VT, 05483
    Ph: 802-393-7305
    email :[email protected]
    www.vtunerperformance.com (Now Live!)

Hey Brian, great to hear you are pushing the limits

How are the driveshafts and CV's holding up? Can they take a beating or are they weak?
    I count sheep in hex...

also, BTW, does anyone want the ability to disable the neutral idle in the auto?
    I count sheep in hex...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    Hey Brian, great to hear you are pushing the limits

How are the driveshafts and CV's holding up? Can they take a beating or are they weak?
    So far no signs of any issues - I have raised the automatic trans torque limiters in 1st gear and can easily smoke the tires and am pulling 2.2 second 60 ft times at the track.

Vermont Tuning LLC
    1806 Sweet Hollow Road
    Sheldon VT, 05483

Senior Tuner
    What HP TQ numbers you putting down on the Dyno?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by VTuner View Post
    Au contraire mon frère! Chris has kindly provided us with all the necessary calibration parameters to boost this little motor into the stratosphere. I just ran a 15.1 second 1/4 mile at 90mph http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-C...lip-24443.html on a hot sunny day with only $1K in mods (2011 Cruze LT Automatic, no weight reduction, 93 octane pump gas, street tires). I will be back on the dyno today and then at the track again tonight (nice cool 70F weather predicted) and expect a 14.8-14.9 second run (I have recorded these times already using a GPS based measurement system, so I just need the weather and track conditions to make it official ;P ).

Any performance modifications will effect your warranty until the official GMPP Stage 1 kit is released.

Cheers,
    Brian
    I know the times, he was asking about hp/tq...I'd like to know what type of numbers you were able to make before/after...doubling the factory hp to the wheels seems like a bit of a stretch to me.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Cool VTuner Stage 1 Meth/Water Results - 170whp@6100rpm /185wlb-ft@3700rpm

Quote Originally Posted by planethax View Post
    What HP TQ numbers you putting down on the Dyno?

2011 Cruze LT Automatic trans, Ported intake manifold, K&N Typhoon intake, Snow Performance Stage 2 GM MAF system running 21 psi max boost pressure (VTuner Stage 1 Meth/water).
    Way more power under the curve over 5000 rpm compared to the stock -Peak power is now at 6100 rpm! That is also over 200hp at the crank, for ~$700 in mods plus tuning.

Cheers,
    Brian

Vermont Tuning LLC
    1806 Sweet Hollow Road
    Sheldon VT, 05483

wow, you can see the meth/water kit really helps it up top

this was one of mine, it wasn't the best one, but close to it. Big gains in the mid range This one has a little bit of a knock at about 4500. Ignore the top end being lower than stock, we were screwing around with the boost limits.

This was around 240kpa max boost (~20-21psi)

my numbers are on a load cell dyno, hence they are lower than yours.

Last edited by Chris@HPTuners; 07-25-2012 at 06:16 PM.
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Very promising achievements guys. I've been away from tuning for the most part, and had been waiting patiently for the 1.4L to be tunable.

Also been waiting for the hyundai Kia 2.0T to be tunable also but havent seen any good news from any companies in regards to that one either.