Thread: Adding advance in non WOT situations

Tuner in Training

Adding advance in non WOT situations

I have noticed in many tune guides that the only place advance is really addressed is in WOT scenarios. I personally drive a very heavy 07' Avalanche and rarely go into WOT. From what I've been reading, you cannot add power with just HP tuners VCM unless you change the AFR and/or modify spark advance. So, my question is. How can I add power in non PE driving? Let's say 1500-3000 RPM range at 0.40 to 0.50ish grams per cylinder range. I assume it is not possible to change AFR unless you are in a PE environment because the VCM will go for stoich, so I assume my only choice would be to add advance in those areas? Is that advisable? I've haven't seen any articles yet on adding advance in those "cruising" area cells. As a note, I tried adding only 1 degree of timing this evening from 1400 to 2400 rpm and 0.28 to 0.48 g/cyl. I was greeted with a decent bit of knock retard immediately in those "cruising " cells.

Advanced Tuner
    If you're running 87 octane, you're probably not going to be able to advance much of anything in non-wot timing. This isn't truth always, but in my experience I've found the timing to be "ideal" for the fuel GM tells you to run most of the time.
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 1LT RS

Formerly - 2004 GTO, 2002 Z28, 2007 Colorado, 2008 Silverado

Tuner in Training
    I forgot to say, I run 93 octane only. Or it's supposed to be. I'm already pretty sure it isn't non ethanol because my commanded AFR (according to VCM scanner is 13.43 now) last week it was and always has been about 14.5, but last two weeks have been in mid 13 range.

usually the stock timing map pings and learns down to the low octane map even with 93....

Tuner
    I run premium as well and the stock was still showing some KR in places. The most I could gain was 1-2. It is fairly aggressive stock. I added 1-4 in the DOD - high Octane and picked up 1-3 MPG. The other area is high load, low RPM. Stock was negative. Some guys go pretty aggressive but I simply removed the negatives.

If you want power get a WB and tune in the MAF, VE and PE. It's a completely different truck when everything is in alignment.
    07 Avalanche Exhaust & CAI

Tuner in Training
    Here is my current tune.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm going to have to take a peek at your tune because my Silverado is taking a lot of timing over stock on 92 octane with no issues.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
    I'm going to have to take a peek at your tune because my Silverado is taking a lot of timing over stock on 92 octane with no issues.
    Is most of this advance you have in the power enrichment mode area or in regular cruising? All the knock i'm getting is in the 0.40 to 0.52 g/cyl range from 1200-2000 rpm, and that is not in PE state. I'm not getting much knock at all in PE. Maybe the cruising areas are about maxed out from the factory.

Advanced Tuner
    Post up a log showing the knock so we can see what is going on. Unless you aren't running 93 as you think you are, I'm not sure why you'd be getting real knock.