Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Everyone! Im new here so Ill introduce myself!!

Tuner in Training

Hey Everyone! Im new here so Ill introduce myself!!

So my name is Blair

I have owned a 2008 Cobalt SS Turbo for three years. After getting the GMS1( which I got bored of). After having shotty work done to my car over and over again I decided to start doing my own work and have never been happier.

After hearing horror stories about Tuners destroying customers engine I wanna learn how to Tune. Not for money, not for glory, but so that I can tuned my own car and learn more about how modern engines work. I love learning new things about cars.

Only problem is I dont have HP TUners software yet and I am having a tough time finding it for a decent price. Someone told me that I should buy it used as I will not need all the credits that come with the program if I buy it new. Im not looking to spend ALOT on the HP Tuners program as I am kinda of on a budget. Any help or advice on finding this software for a good price would be greatly appreciative please.

So...........lay it on me. What advice would you give a new kid on the block( who has patience and is willing to learn/listen) for Tuning the LNF?? im not in a rush to break LNF tuning records and I prefer to learn at a decent pace over a grenaded Motor.

Thanks Everyone!!

Advanced Tuner
    All your lnf info is right here, as for finding hptuners you'll probably have better luck in the ls/vette forums.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38868
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38357

I seen you around someplace. lol. Welcome.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

arent you the rpd guy?

Tuner in Training
    yup, im the RPD guy........i was at one point under this name on css.net( now under another name) tho i really dont use that forum much I moved on to others.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Welcome
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    thanks man!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dayhoff35 View Post
    arent you the rpd guy?
    lol.. let's maybe keep that one to a minimum so the knuckleheads from "that" forum don't feel the need to start any bs on here with him.

Welcome op! There's some good stuff to learn here. Just keep it clean and respectfull..
    09 Cobalt SS - E47+EFR6758 =

07 Silverado ECSB LBZ Duramax - Bunches of goodies

Tuner in Training
    Not a prob I'm here to learn. As for the knuckleheads.....it's not my business to start stuff but I will not back down

oh god.....
    HP-Unlimited Tuning and Custom Fabrication
    Houston area performance parts dealer
    MD800 Mustang Dyno 713-560-3889 Taylor
    2016 Camaro A8 "shop car" FIRST 6th GEN CAMARO OVER 200mph IN THE MILE 203.5mph

Tuner in Training
    ^ hater

welcome. this is definitely a great place to learn. everyone is willing to help if they can so if you have a question dont be afraid to ask.
    2008 Sky RL

Tuner in Training
    thanks V3nom..........im looking forward to learning how to Tune. To me it looks so complicated almost like another language but I know that if I put enough time in ill figure it out

Tuner in Training
    just wanted to know if anyone out there knows of a good FIRST thread that a NOOB could read to become familiar with the theory/practice of Tuning. Im as green as grass and do not have HP TUners yet so I would like to know as much as I can about Tuning and especially all the TERMs and Parameter meanings before I dive into how to use HP Tuners

Im very eager to learn guys so please help me get off to the right foot and learn in the right order so that can go on to become a competent tuner.

Thank You

Tuner in Training
    ^ thanks man.......I was thinking more of the very basics......like explaining fuel trims, KR, Ignition Timing . All ogf the things and theory that HP Tuners will change or modify on a car during a Tune. Like I said, im new hahahah

Quote Originally Posted by HydroTurboss View Post
    ^ thanks man.......I was thinking more of the very basics......like explaining fuel trims, KR, Ignition Timing . All ogf the things and theory that HP Tuners will change or modify on a car during a Tune. Like I said, im new hahahah
    fuel trims are basically the percentage that the fueling is off based off of the narrowband o2. ltft are corrected and stft stay uncorrected from what ive read. maybe some one can confirm or deny this

ignition timing is when the spark plug ignites in relation to the rotation of the camshaft in degrees. youll tune advanced timing to advance it so many degrees.

kr is the amount of degrees that are taken off when the narrowband sees engine knock. if knock still occurs, itll keep retarding it until its gone.

like i said, if anythings wrong, some one will collaborate. the lnf guides are pretty good from what ive heard. your gonna need to set up a good config before anything. im an lsj guy and dont know squat about the lnf so good luck.

Tuner in Training
    hmmmmm......there got to be more to know then just those 3 things when starting out. I dont now if im getting acrossed what im hoping to achieve.
    At the moment I do not have HP tuners software. What im looking to do at the moment is educate myself with the "what Tuning is" and the different types of tuning tweaks and changes that can be made to increase efficiency etc.

I would like to have a clear understand of what Tuning is and all of the different things that a new tuner should know while going into learning how to Tune

Quote Originally Posted by HydroTurboss View Post

welcome btw.. once you get hptuners you can use cobaltssoverbooster and gmtech16450yz i follow both of those buys religiously and there are alot of great guys on here that have helped me out. hope it all goes well
    2003 Ford excursion 6.0 PSD
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    KC billet single plane compressor wheel
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    AEM progressive water meth
    Custom suspension air bags
    8" lift