Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Super Cool LNF Config File...

Tuner in Training
    Can we get the pics back from the OP?

That would help!

John is very busy and moved on to larger projects. Doubt he'll post over here much. Last I talked to him he was stuffing a built LSA in a Solstice for a girl.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Hahaha wow!! No biggie, it's understandable. Thanks for the update!

Tuner
    A built LSA in a Solstice? Wow.. that'd rock so hard! /jealous

He never told me who it's for. Hoping Danica Patrick.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    He never told me who it's for. Hoping Danica Patrick.
    Lolz. I wish! The LSA is going in my personal Sky. My EFR setup went to a gal in Texas that I've worked with on her car, that's probably how you got that mixed up. She got my entire turbo/manifolds/5th injector setup. My ~500whp/500wtq LNF has been de-tuned and is running in a World Challenge Series GTS car right now. That's partly what made me do the LSA swap, what I got for the engine and turbo stuff paid for the brand new LSA crate motor.

The Sky is gonna be pretty sick, I have lots of things planned for it. The LSA is gonna be a fairly mild ~650hp or so, and I'm also putting a brand new TR6060 behind it. Everything under the hood will be brand new. I'm working on frame bracing right now, I want this thing as stiff as possible. The trans will be mounted to the front of an extended length, 1/2" thick 6061 backbone. I've removed the stock crossmember under the engine and built a heavier, stronger one from scratch. I seriously doubt I'll ever do it, but this frame and chassis will be able to handle twice the hp I'm starting with on the LSA.

I'm also doing huge brakes all the way around, with all OEM equipment from CTS-V's, Saab SUV's and some Brembo parts. No aftermarket brakes parts at all. (I am building the brackets myself though.) The interior is getting a make-over too, with some Centennial Edition 'Vette parts and some CTS-V stuff too. The cluster will be from a CTS-V, with PLX digital gauges built into the top of the cluster. I'll be able to use the PLX gauges for any OBD2 data I want to look at. I'm moving the A/C vents and putting an iPod Mini in the dash for Nav, music and also to use as a web based video feed alarm system. (Seriously! I'll be able to have the exact location at all times, and even have video of who's in the car and where it's driving! I will get an alert email if the vehicle location changes or if the interior video shows a change. lolz. I know, I'm sick.) The center console will be from a C6 C.E. 'Vette, to match my steering wheel, shifter and park brake lever. I might actually ditch the park brake lever since I picked up an entire electric parking brake setup from a CTS-V. The park brake calipers are separate Brembo's, like the Viper's and Maserati's use.

Lots of work, but it's gonna be my daily driver again when it's done so it will all be worth it! Here's a quick shot of the engine. There's more pics in the link too, but don't get too excited, I literally just threw a few on my photobucket page. Too busy working on it to take or post pictures! Add in our daughter getting married, the dealership being super busy, lots of projects I'm involved with around the country and my own personal projects and I rarely have time to sit down! That's ok, because when I sit I get fat. And go crazy. Nice to hear you're still contributing to the online community Tom, you've always been a good asset. Check out what I posted in the lounge here, it's right up your alley. You can help these new C7 'Vette tuners a TON!

http://s841.photobucket.com/user/j16...%20Swap%20Pics

I've always been easily confused. I still like my Danica fantasy better. Glad all is going well John.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    i always thought you never officially left. That's one cool project man. It will without a doubt be awesome.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner
    Just the thought of having such an engine in such a light car is awesome already.. being built and then tuned by John will make it even better.. I read his crazy plans for the car, but 650 mild hp? Lol.. He can probably get that with an entirely stock LSA with just a good tune. Wish I had that kind of talent, tools n such; I'll be sticking to my lowly Cobalt for now.. maybe someday I can have a real car too :P But I do love the Balt anyways.. just wish Gm had a small lightweight car with an LS engine in it.. ya.. like that'll ever happen.

Advanced Tuner
    Having some trouble setting this up on my tablet... set up easily on my PC, but this time I am going through and adding everything according to the OP or my personal preference and now it won't add things. For instance, I am loading up the cam intake and exhaust readings per the OP, and it will add to the user configured setting, but will not show in my table view. In fact, the table view will show up correctly when I have a log file open, but the second I close it, it will change the view of everything... any suggestions? I pulled the config from my PC onto the tablet, I would assume it would work without setting everything up again... not the case.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mkriebs View Post
    Having some trouble setting this up on my tablet... set up easily on my PC, but this time I am going through and adding everything according to the OP or my personal preference and now it won't add things. For instance, I am loading up the cam intake and exhaust readings per the OP, and it will add to the user configured setting, but will not show in my table view. In fact, the table view will show up correctly when I have a log file open, but the second I close it, it will change the view of everything... any suggestions? I pulled the config from my PC onto the tablet, I would assume it would work without setting everything up again... not the case.
    Matt if all you're trying to do is copy your scanner setup onto another computer there's one more step you might have missed. Go to the "HPTuners" folder on your PC, look in the "Settings" folder. There's a config file in there for the "entire" look and setup of the scanner and editor programs. Copy that file from your PC and paste it into your tablet in the same location. It will ask if you want to replace the config file that's there, say yes. If you only move the config file that's in the "VCM Scanner" folder, in "Configs", you won't get all the changes you've made on your PC setup.

Make sense or did I just tell you a bunch of stuff you already know? lol.

edit...
    Just realized I never said the name of the actual file you need to move! It's called "VCM Scanner.cfg". Not the ones in the "Config" folder, this one is in the "Settings" folder. It's a little confusing since they call them both config files. It also has to stay named that, otherwise the program will create another VCM Scanner config file. I actually keep a few of these on my desktop. When I need to scan a car with a totally different engine/ECM setup, all I have to do is pull the config file from my desktop into the settings folder. When I keep them on the desktop I name them something else in case the program sees there are two config files with the same name in the computer. Something like "VCM Scanner LNF.cfg". When I pull it back into the settings folder I just rename it VCM Scanner (take the "LNF" off the end) and it uses those settings I've already setup. That way you can have several completely different looking scanner setups by simply changing the config file.
    Last edited by gmtech16450yz; 10-24-2014 at 05:13 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Ah! I did not know that. Only issue now is I went through and redid it all, the graphs looks the same as my PC graphs, I just cannot get the intake/exhaust cam angles (corrected) and the boost PID to show up. Doing it just like I did on the PC, but just won't show up for me... so weird. I will do the user configured PID and set up the exh/int cam stuff and boost, hit save, open a log, and it will show it unsupported. I am sure it's something stupid im missing, but it's annoying haha. I attached some pics of what's going on...

HPT 1 is with a log file opened, you can see only 3 unsupported parameters.

HPT2 is with the log file closed, many more unsupported parameters.

And HPT3 shows the graph view, which is just how I want it and how I changed it earlier in the day..

HPT 1.pngHPT 2.pngHPT 3.png

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mkriebs View Post
    Ah! I did not know that. Only issue now is I went through and redid it all, the graphs looks the same as my PC graphs, I just cannot get the intake/exhaust cam angles (corrected) and the boost PID to show up. Doing it just like I did on the PC, but just won't show up for me... so weird. I will do the user configured PID and set up the exh/int cam stuff and boost, hit save, open a log, and it will show it unsupported. I am sure it's something stupid im missing, but it's annoying haha. I attached some pics of what's going on...

HPT 1 is with a log file opened, you can see only 3 unsupported parameters.

HPT2 is with the log file closed, many more unsupported parameters.

And HPT3 shows the graph view, which is just how I want it and how I changed it earlier in the day..

HPT 1.pngHPT 2.pngHPT 3.png

So wait, you're opening a log you already had? Of course it's going to be "unsupported", when you made the log you didn't have those custom PID's in it. Or did you?? IDK. Try setting up your scanner, hook up to a car and do a log and save that log. NOW close the program and then open that log back up and see how it looks.

Advanced Tuner
    Ok, I will give that a shot. I pulled up a log i had from my PC which was set up on your config file, with minimal changes (boost PID). I will give that a try here in a min and see what's up. Still won't load the table like I want it to, though, unless I have a log file open. I know you're not a PM guy but I need to ask a few other, unrelated questions for curiosities sake, so I will PM you! Thanks buddy! Glad to see you around still.

Advanced Tuner
    Go for it. I promise I'll respond! (You're right, I'm not a big PM guy! I think it's something about HAVING to answer questions as apposed to WANTING to answer questions. lol.)

Advanced Tuner
    Got the cam ones to work but not the boost, but I always set the boost PID up wrong, I'll get that panned out.

Quote Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
    Go for it. I promise I'll respond! (You're right, I'm not a big PM guy! I think it's something about HAVING to answer questions as apposed to WANTING to answer questions. lol.)
    off topic but i HAVE to see more of your car!
    2008 Sky RL

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by |V3nom| View Post
    off topic but i HAVE to see more of your car!
    Yeah I really have to get some pictures and videos online. Lots of guys have asked to see more of the car but I've just been too busy driving it! I literally just got back from a couple hour run through the hills nearby my house. I could drive the car all day, it's just so much fun and so nice to drive. My goal actually wasn't to make a super fast car, it was to make a nice daily driver with plenty of usable power. The CTS-V stuff was because I wanted a roadster as nice as our CTS-V Wagon. I built it super strong chassis and frame wise, super quiet insulation wise and super plush electronics wise. I ended up with a hella fast car that still drives like a Cadillac and has all the onboard goodies you'd ever need. I even do all my logging and tuning in the car with it's built in PC and 10" touch screen monitor. If I make a new tune on my laptop, a copy of it will be in the car's PC the next time I get in it. Same with logs. When I save a log in the car, it saves a copy to my "cloud" through the car's onboard WiFi so when I open my laptop it's there for me to look at! That was one of my goals with this build, no more laptop on the passenger seat or in the passengers lap!

Here's a link to my Photobucket. I didn't update it with LSA build pictures for a long time so there's a ton of stuff missing. There are several pictures there of the build though, feel free to poke around in whatever I have on there.

http://s841.photobucket.com/user/j16...%20Swap%20Pics

Here's a video of the car. I need to steal my son's GoPro so I can get some good video of the car in action. These were just phone videos so far, hopefully I'll get some more soon. I want to do a video from inside the car while I'm going through the gears. It sounds exactly like a ZR1! No surprise since the engine is very similar, I'm actually using more ZR1 calibrations in my tune than LSA. I'll also put a screenshot of my last dyno run up here. I didn't do any tuning on these runs, just drove it in and ran it with my everyday tune and 91 pump gas.

Thanks guys! It's kinda nice to come back here and see some familiar screen names. Enjoy!
    John

Advanced Tuner
    Awesome!!!!

Awesome!!!

Awesome!!!