Thread: Stop idle surge in gear

Tuner

Stop idle surge in gear

I was wondering what is the best approach to stop idle surging in gear while rolling. I have the neutral and park idle pretty good and I am satisfied with it. However when I put the car in drive and let my foot off the brake it will roll forward then after a few seconds it will start surging / pulling and RPMs will increase and the surge will continue. Any idea what I am missing?

Log and tune attached

can't see your tune on this computer but make the timing tables match (high, low, idle, coast, etc) and make them smooth. also make the timing values in and all around the idle cells the same number and smooth it out to the rest of the table.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    can't see your tune on this computer but make the timing tables match (high, low, idle, coast, etc) and make them smooth. also make the timing values in and all around the idle cells the same number and smooth it out to the rest of the table.
    Okay all my timing table do match in the idle area. I did notice one thing however I was just trying things and reflashing but not driving the car in between. After I drove the car for a bit everything seems to be okay with a slight surge barely noticeable. Is there some sort of idle parameters that get reset each time you flash the VCM?

Also I would like some more info on what these parameters do:

Effective Area Max & Min, and also Effective Area Percent Max & Percent Max Brake

don't adjust those unless you change the size of or port your throttle body. if the timing fix helped the rest is in your airflow tables, throttle follower etc.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    don't adjust those unless you change the size of or port your throttle body. if the timing fix helped the rest is in your airflow tables, throttle follower etc.
    The car has a 102mm NW throttle body

Then you will have to adjust the numbers to match 102mm vs stock size (you will have to search this site for that, I don't know it offhand) and then you may or may not need to adjust your Base Running Airflow (Base Idle Airflow).