Thread: HPT and a HHR PANEL, Problem???

Potential Tuner

HPT and a HHR PANEL, Problem???

I have been collecting my parts for a M62 Supercharger install on my 2008 2LT Chevy HHR Panel with a 2.4 motor and auto trans.

I researched it and even checked on the HPT website for Compatability, HPT lists the HHR 2.4 as a supported car. NO mention that if you have an HHR Panel it may or may Not be reconized by HPT?

I have collected just about all the parts needed to do this install over the past year buying the parts as I found them, spent Hours and Hours sanding buffing and Polishing the Eaton M-62 Supercharger.

Mentioned on a HHR forum that I was ready for my install as other HHR owners have done and I get a PM from a JoeR on that forum telling me to hold off buying my HPTuners Pro Suite, as there is a Problem with HPT and it reconizing the VIN of HHR Panels.

Joe asked for my Vin # and said he was in contact with HPT trying to work on a solution, he also got some other HHR Panel owners Vin numbers.

Is this being FIXED and When should I expect it to be corrected?

I live about 40 miles from your guys offices if I bring my HHR Panel in prior to the Superchager install to you, would/could that help get this Vin Problem Fixed sooner?

Ive spent about a year collecting the parts and was ready to go here, now hearing this news about it not working with a HHR Panel is pretty disappointing to say the least when the website made no mention of HHR Panels somehow not being supported.

Last edited by HHR Panel Man; 06-30-2012 at 12:28 AM.
    '08 HHR 2LT Panel 2.4

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    We're just waiting to hear back from joe as we hope to fix it this weekend with his help
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    We're just waiting to hear back from joe as we hope to fix it this weekend with his help
    Cool. I was ready to pull the trigger a couple weeks ago on the pro suite for this little project when he told me to hold off buying it.

He explained about the Vin #'s and asked me for mine, glad to hear a fix is near. I will buy as soon as I hear the Fix is in.

As I said, I could drive to the Chicago area offices/shop for testing if needed.

Thanks.
    '08 HHR 2LT Panel 2.4

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Actually now that I reread over your thread you have a 2.4, as far as I know we haven't seen any issues with these.

Joe R reported having an issue with the 2.2 HHR's and as far as I know hasn't had an issue with the 2.4's(completely different pcm's) so I wouldn't hesitate to purchase if thats your concern since he's referencing 2.2's which you do not have.

Potential Tuner
    Actually now that I reread over your thread you have a 2.4, as far as I know we haven't seen any issues with these.

Joe R reported having an issue with the 2.2 HHR's and as far as I know hasn't had an issue with the 2.4's(completely different pcm's) so I wouldn't hesitate to purchase if thats your concern since he's referencing 2.2's which you do not have.
    Joe R knows I have a 2.4 and he told me to hold off buying until it was fixed completely. Told me that some are accepted, and some aren't.(HHR Panels)

The last time I heard from Joe on 6/24/12 he said- "The VIN issue with the HHR Panels has been hit and miss. I've accumulated data and sent to HPT with no resolution at this time."

He said a 2.2 Panel was recently recognized, and that he knew mine was the 2.4, he suggested -
    "My suggestion to you is: Before springing for HPT, knowing there may still be an issue for you, can you get with someone with HPT (it would HAVE to be a very recent beta!)?

Without having to pay ANY credits, that person should be able to pull your tune, actually do a short data log, create a HPT "info log" and verify that your tune is valid to go forward. They may charge, but NO license fees are involved at this point."

Before spending $650.00 Plus shipping and tax, I want to know for a fact this is a now non issue.

Does your Chicago area office also have a Shop?

I'd be willing to drive there and have my 2008 HHR 2LT 2.4 Panel tested to be sure it's good to go, if it recognizes my Panels Vin i'd buy it on the spot.

Not thrilled of the idea of having to go with Trifecta.
    '08 HHR 2LT Panel 2.4

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Its a non issue. Our Chicago office does not have a shop. We currently do not list 2.2 HHR's on our supported page partly because of the vin recognition issue, however 2.4's are supported and are listed on our supported page so they are not a problem.

Bill, admittedly I may be wrong, but with all the info I have the 08 and up 2.2 and 2.4 HHR ECMs are the E37 and even share the exact same OS#.

So... at this point I stand by advice, unless HPT will guaranty this guy that either the Panel issue will get resolved quickly or refund his purchase.

Other than that, I will reply to you via email.

Good engineering is simply finding the right wrench to pound in the correct screw.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I guarantee it will work and if not it will be resolved very quickly if it doesn't

I guarantee it will work and if not it will be resolved very quickly if it doesn't
    Over the years, I will agree with the "resolved" part and I thank you for that!

But on some "quickly" issues lately....

Good engineering is simply finding the right wrench to pound in the correct screw.

Potential Tuner
    I haven't forgot about this thread. In fact I just bought a Used HPTuners Pro, no credits left on it from someone on the Cobalt SS forums.

Price was right so I bought it. I can always buy a few credits for my 2008, 2.4, Auto Trans, HHR Panel for about $100.00 right?

Seller is shipping it out in the morning to me.

The seller already sent me the Interface Serial # and the Application Key. Plus emails from were he bought it so I have all that info. (Edited to Add-) He just sent me the Password, he forgot that I'd need that as well.
    In the emails, looks as tho it was originally bought in April of 2009, then the person I just bought it from bought it in August of 2009.

On August 6, 2009 Joshua Barrington of OTTP sent the buyer (now seller) a copy of an email direct from HP Tuners, that says thank you for your purchase, Has installation directions and the Interface Serial # and Application Key #.

States it had 8 GM Credits.

Also info on purchasing additional Credits, tune repository and says you will need to Activate your Account with a Link.

Then it has > As a valued customer, purchase information and product updates are sent to
    the email address in your profile. If you prefer they be sent to a different
    address please login in and edit your profile:
    http://www.hptuners.com/

What other info if any do I need to Change this HPTuner Pro VCM Suite to MINE ? And how do I go about it?

Thanks very much.

A few more parts and I am ready to go.
    Last edited by HHR Panel Man; 08-09-2012 at 09:05 AM.
    '08 HHR 2LT Panel 2.4

Potential Tuner
    Good to know.

Just got my ZZP Downpipe now only need a few gaskets, 7 bolts, and the 2 Credits and I can start.
    '08 HHR 2LT Panel 2.4