Thread: HELP!!! Is this my Knock Sensors fault

HELP!!! Is this my Knock Sensors fault

Hello all,

I rebuilt the top end of a 98 Gen VI 454 swapping out the stock cam and injectors for modestly "bigger" ones as well as replacing a lot of other things along the way with new stock equivalents.

Anyways, I managed to get it up and running ( with help of course ) to where it the engine sounds and feels like its running fine under no load in my driveway but its a different story when I took it out on a test drive.

First of all it, I am throwing DTC code
    [PCM] P0327 - Knock Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Old) (History) (Current) (Immature)

Also, only "tuning" I did was tell it the flow injector rate was increased and I added 200RPM to the target idle table.

While seemingly running ok on straights, down hills and slight up hills ( other than stalling at the stop signs ) I took it up a fairly steep hill, starting right about 3:27 on the scan log. That's when the trouble became noticeable.

It was constantly registering knock, my TPS was about 46, my MAP was low 90s, MAF 11+, RPM ~2400, Spark Advance ~9, Knock Retard ~6, Surprisingly my lambda didn't seem all that bad hoovering around 1 +/- .05

To put that in perspective at idle TPS is like 0, MAP is in the 40/50s, MAF is low 1s, Spark Advance 24*, Knock Retard 0* and lambda more or less hoovering around 1 with a little more range

also injector pulse width was ~11ms when going up the hill as opposed to ~4ms everywhere else

and afx wideband was pretty much always in the mid 14s

First question of many, I don't have much experience so any help is truly appreciated.

Being I am not happy at all with how the connector fits on the end of the knock sensor I am pretty sure that its just not even connected properly. I have tried every which way and it just doesn't seem right for any of them.

Could that cause the above mentioned problems?

What happens when you only have one working knock sensor? Does it go into fail safe mode??

Why when my max knock retard is 6*, does my spark advance drop to 9* at 2400 RPM when it was at 24* at 900 RPM??

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by knowledge; 06-26-2012 at 07:49 PM. Reason: forgot to add

Ok very rough description of "road course"

0- 59 sec

Started up, reved engine a few times, let it idle for a bit while I was doing last minute checks, reved it a few more times and then backed it up my driveway that as a little bit of a grade.

60 to 90 sec

backed up the driveway and coast down a few times

1.5 to 2.5 mins

Started driving slightly down hill to stop sign roughly 100 yards, then continued slightly down hill approx 200 yards where I stalled out ( and then some guy keep flashing me to go after I had already flashed him a few times first, never fails )

2.5 to 3 mins

restarted reved it a few times and then continued slightly down hill for approx 100 yards to another stop sign, it almost stalled but I reved it soon enough to keep it going

3 to xxx 3.5 mins

continued slightly down hill approx 200 yards to yet another stop sign

3.5 to 3.75 mins

after never coming to a complete stop at the last stop sign, I get a good rolling start up the steep hill where things really went south

3.75 to 4.5 mins

continued up steep hill ( 300 yards ) chugging along until I get to the top for yet another stop sign and I proceed to blow through that because I still have another little ( 75 yards ) but steep hill to get up before I can coast down into my driveway

4.5 to just before 5 mins
    chugged up hill and then let it stall out to be safe

just before 5 mins to about 5 mins 10 secs
    coasted down fairly steep hill but only for like 100 yards then started it up to get power steering to make the turn into my driveway with minimal causulties

5 min 10 sec to until the end

sat in truck trying to see what went wrong, probably reving it a few times here and there