Thread: regal pcm vs gtp pcm

Tuner in Training

regal pcm vs gtp pcm

i am swapping my unlocked 02 regal l67 engine/tran into an 99 monte carlo that had the 3.1. i have the wiring harness from a z34 monte which should allow a clean swap. however, i was told the regal pcm would NOT work and must get a 98+ gtp pcm. i don't understand why my regal pcm won't work and the gtp will and if there is anyway to get the regal pcm to work.
    01 SS Camaro, aps TT, 60# inj, SDOL, lonnies fuel system with return, AFPR, lots of bolt ons, no more money.

Tuner in Training
    bump - anyone? since i should be able to turn off vats then what other problem would i have?
    01 SS Camaro, aps TT, 60# inj, SDOL, lonnies fuel system with return, AFPR, lots of bolt ons, no more money.

It may be due to the Regal PCM (i.e. the operating system) needing to see the body control module, even if VATS is programmed out of it. I know that was the issue I had with using a 2005 Impala PCM when I ran it in my '97 Bonneville. No matter what I tried, it absolutely had to see the BCM. I reflashed it with an '03 GTP OS, which didn't require it seeing a BCM, and it worked flawlessly.

Tuner in Training
    so - i can take my existing regal pcm and just flash in a gtp os? i.e. i don't have to buy an actual gtp pcm?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mterveen View Post
    so - i can take my existing regal pcm and just flash in a gtp os? i.e. i don't have to buy an actual gtp pcm?
    Does anyone know the answer to this question? I believe I'm in the same position as the OP.

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    You should be alright if you disable V.A.T.S. correctly. That's why we have that feature. If that doesn't work, contact support and they will probably ask you for an infolog. Worse case, hook up a BCM, or fool the PCM to think it is hooked up to one.