Thread: Catalyst and Oxygen Sensor Heater incomplete

Tuner in Training

Catalyst and Oxygen Sensor Heater incomplete

Hi all,
    I have been driving my car every day for the last 7 days, the Catalyst and Oxygen Sensor Heater are still showing incomplete, today I drove about 20 miles out stopped for a while and then drove back and they are still not cleared but I now also have a P0300 engine misfire, I had not had the misfire until today. I do not have a secondary air system anymore so I removed that one. Is there anyway to get the others cleared or do I just keep driving. If I try to clear the P0300 then I will be starting back at the beginning. Please send me your thoughts and suggestions. I am attaching my latest tune and it seems to be close.

Thank you for your time
    Mark
    Have a great day
    Mark

2002 Trans Am; Kooks Long Tube Headers; Comp Cam 112LSA, 232-236/574-578; Patriot Dual 'Gold' Xtreme Springs; JP Double Roller Timing Chain; SLP Cold Air intake and Lid; Magnaflow Exhaust

Potential Tuner
    What's the current status now? Are you due for a smog check? If so, and a majority of the monitors have already passed, I would just fix the cause of the P0300 without clearing all codes (and resetting monitors). A P0300 clears fairly quickly once the cause is addressed.

If you're not in any rush to have all monitors pass, then just the clear codes once you believe you've fixed the cause of the P0300.

If the monitors still haven't passed, perform a...

General Motors Driving Cycle:

A complete driving cycle should perform diagnostics on all systems. A complete driving cycle can be done in under fifteen minutes.

To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following:

1-Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C (122°F) and within 6°C (11°F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

2-Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.

3-Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.

4-Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

5-Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

6-Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.

7-Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.

8-Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the response, the misfires come and go,I did clear out the code and it did not come back for several days, but then I turned on the airconditioner and it came back. I put a misfire config on the scanner and they totally go away when I change the absolute timing in the VCM controls, but I am having trouble adjusting it in the editor.
    Have a great day
    Mark

2002 Trans Am; Kooks Long Tube Headers; Comp Cam 112LSA, 232-236/574-578; Patriot Dual 'Gold' Xtreme Springs; JP Double Roller Timing Chain; SLP Cold Air intake and Lid; Magnaflow Exhaust

Tuner in Training
    What I*read*I really liked it.*Thank you for*your information!

While I dont 100% believe it, I've seen lots of posts here claiming misfires to be unavoidable with cam changes. No doubt they an issue but I seem to have mine fixed and our cams are fairly close in size. Can't say whether your old PCM will act the same as my E40....also I see lots of things(parameters) that I would expect allow one to control what is considered misfiring by the PCM/SES system. But again, your mileage may vary

'06 BOM M6 Widebody RA6 GTO
    Trick Flow 550 kit( 225 heads, Track Max cam, springs, chain etc)
    ARH longtube , MBS HiFlow cats, Corsa Touring X-pipe SS exhaust
    Wilson FAST 92mm manifold #42 DeatschWerks Injectors soon
    Vararam Intake Duspeed not installed yet
    B&M shifter 3.91 rear,Monster level 4 Harrop diff cover
    CTS-V V2 brakes BC BR coilovers Whiteline everything
    DSS AH axles, Spohn LC arms, Toe Bar
    CCW 505a 10.5x19, 12.5x20 Nitto Invo 285& 345
    SCSS oil & afr Innovate LC2