Thread: Procharged 2011 6.2L Broke Piston

Tuner in Training

Procharged 2011 6.2L Broke Piston

Well long story short the motor is coming out here in the next couple days. We are not positive but it sounds like a piston let go.

My question is I was lucky enough to be logging while this happened and from the log it looks like the truck should have gotten into PE and didn't. So it stayed lean, pre detonated and I now have a broke 6.2

I attached the log, tune and config. Can anyone smarter than I figure out why it did not enter PE. I have it set to enter at 45% TPS and I was well into 50% and it was still commanding 14.68

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20842657/HP...une%206-13.hpt
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20842657/HP...0Something.hpl
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20842657/HP...20missfire.cfg

2010 GXP Maloo ute, LS3, 6L80E.
    MM heads, 240/252@50 solid cam, 12.75:1 compression, 4500 Dominator converter, 3.46 rears.
    Shooting for 10s eventually.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    These use weird calculation ie ETC % area - idle offset %. You need to set it to values like 15-20% for traditional TPS/ETC% of 40-50%
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Bill
    Do u have link to download any software for iphone ?
    So we can see files and logs ?
    Even if u guys know someone can build
    I myself. Dont mind buying it

Thanks

I havent looked at the files
    Im in iphone mow
    I will have a look and give u good details

specialize in: V8 Tuning (Kuwait)
    Abdullah Al-najdi
    00965 99369929
    www.youtube.com/alnajdi83
    Tuners ! Quit Raping your PE TABLE !
    instagram : alnajdi83
    best number in 1/8 mile 4.54 ( My Driving + My Tune ) !

Tuner
    looks from the log your power enrich comes in at 60% as per 5m38s
    stock 99' LS1 + powerglide
    gt42 a/r 1.06
    #80lb siemens @ 43.5psi rail pressure on E85
    return fuel system runing 1:1 FPR
    aeromotive A-1000 pump
    2 bar SD tune

below 4000 RPM you are running on VE table
    as Vltrb-0 said ,, you have entered WOT on 60% throttle
    you have messed up with your open fuel table open lope
    i hope this comments would help u for next time

specialize in: V8 Tuning (Kuwait)
    Abdullah Al-najdi
    00965 99369929
    www.youtube.com/alnajdi83
    Tuners ! Quit Raping your PE TABLE !
    instagram : alnajdi83
    best number in 1/8 mile 4.54 ( My Driving + My Tune ) !

Though the problem is likely due to delay in the PE, any procharger setup you need to enter boost enrich far earlier than stock if based on TPS alone since small amount of TPS can give you boost especially in the higher (+2500) RPM's. I think the 2012 Vette has PE come in as low as 19%?

BTW, after I reload a tune or reset the PCM I can feel when the 02's are swinging rich/lean under power but below "enrich" since there's a slight swing in power as it goes rich/lean, long story short.. I used to wonder why they had "power enrich", then realized simply cause since I can feel the power difference from an 02 sensor swinging, there's no way they can create a steady fuel stream/avoid a lean condition under critical WOT situation since the NB 02 sensor can only detect stoich.. and during WOT you dont want to be anywhere near stoich... so... just "enrich" fuel based on the stored fuel trims.

It's crazy this crude method hasn't changed since 1983 or even earlier other than a few WB02 enabled cars. Guess you just cant trust the WB's.
    Last edited by 10_SS; 06-15-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for all the responses. I feel bad but I completely forgot about this thread.

The motor got a complete overhaul and is far from what it was before she decided to blow a few pistons up.

Bored and honed, forged pistons, 1.8 roller rockers, custom speced cam, 3400 stall, Injector Dynamic ID850, ARP stud kit and tons more I am sure I missed.

Last night the shop fired it up for the first time and is going to start working on the tuning Monday I believe. I will forward this thread to him for some reference. I think this go around I will keep my hands out of the tune a lot more and leave it all on him. Dunno if this was an issue lurking from the original tune or something I changed down the line.

This is just a short clip of it running. Very basic tune to get it started.

Last edited by ak2007r6; 07-28-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Senior Tuner
    simple fix to this. you have a blower. set the enable map kpa to 110 {3psi}. zero out the hot tps table.

zero out everything in those three remaining boxes under the map kpa.

tps loads vary upon gear. kpa is a constant number . 3 psi is 3 psi regardless of gear or tps.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Tuner in Training
    That actually makes perfect sense.. even to me. I sent this link to the shop, will chat with him Monday

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
    simple fix to this. you have a blower. set the enable map kpa to 110 {3psi}. zero out the hot tps table.

zero out everything in those three remaining boxes under the map kpa.

tps loads vary upon gear. kpa is a constant number . 3 psi is 3 psi regardless of gear or tps.
    So I am still a little confused on my old tune still and why it didn't enter PE. At 9min5sec I am at 60MPH, 3900RPM, 52% TPS and 117KPA.

According to my tune PE is suppose to enable at anything over 45%TPS and anything over 55KPA. Unless I am reading it wrong, which is a very likely answer. In my eyes it looks like I meet everything I should have to gone into PE and it never did. I know it's another table or something I am missing. I think the TPS tables over ride the KPA enable boxes and I think there is more than the HOT TPS table I had set at 45 that controls it, just not sure what.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ak2007r6 View Post
    So I am still a little confused on my old tune still and why it didn't enter PE. At 9min5sec I am at 60MPH, 3900RPM, 52% TPS and 117KPA.

According to my tune PE is suppose to enable at anything over 45%TPS and anything over 55KPA. Unless I am reading it wrong, which is a very likely answer. In my eyes it looks like I meet everything I should have to gone into PE and it never did. I know it's another table or something I am missing. I think the TPS tables over ride the KPA enable boxes and I think there is more than the HOT TPS table I had set at 45 that controls it, just not sure what.
    Look at what Bill said a few posts up. I need to try it because I noticed my truck wasn't entering PE at the values I commanded it to for TPS either.
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 1LT RS

Formerly - 2004 GTO, 2002 Z28, 2007 Colorado, 2008 Silverado

Tuner in Training
    I have the PE delay set to 0 RPM and don't see any other ones that I need to zero jumping out at me. Is there more delay options under another area besides the PE tab?

Senior Tuner
    mine is set at 45% tsp. doesn't do shit for kicking in at 45%. still kicks in at wot.

one parameter must be met before another can be activated. in a sense. even if you set the kpa trigger to 40, it still wont kick in until the tps requirement is met, and the pe delay trigger is met.

if the tps is set to zero it voids this table. if the pe delay is zero, it voids this table. if map kpa is set to 110 kpa, or somewhere above 100, it will use this trigger regardless of tps. using tps as a trigger is a null idea in my eyes on an FI setup. tps% varies gear to gear. 30% in first is not the same load as 30% in 6th. one is in boost, one is not. by setting the kpa trigger to something above 100, this is the final number it will use. 3 psi trigger in first is the same trigger in 6th.

Tuner in Training
    Gotcha. I agree that 30%TPS in 1st gear is nothing like 30% in 5th.

This is what mine is setup like now, will zero out the hot table and other options below MAP

Senior Tuner
    it works.

Quote Originally Posted by ak2007r6 View Post
    Gotcha. I agree that 30%TPS in 1st gear is nothing like 30% in 5th.

This is what mine is setup like now, will zero out the hot table and other options below MAP
    I see he got it working, however with a blower/supercharger, 30% TPS is the same load at say 2000rpm regardless of gear. Load and tps are linked to rpm, not gear. Turbo's are more linked to gear since they need time to build boost.

Map is the best way to do it but are you sure you want it only going to PE at 3psi boost? PE should come in during high load, well before boost, say <90kpa.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    I see he got it working, however with a blower/supercharger, 30% TPS is the same load at say 2000rpm regardless of gear. Load and tps are linked to rpm, not gear. Turbo's are more linked to gear since they need time to build boost.

Map is the best way to do it but are you sure you want it only going to PE at 3psi boost? PE should come in during high load, well before boost, say <90kpa.
    50% in 3rd could be 10 psi and 50% in first could be 2 psi. there is a load difference due to torque multiplication from the gear ratios.

it was given as a reference on the kpa setting. i set my last car to 3psi, and had zero problems with it for 110k miles.

Procharger on my setup (LT1) always had the same psi at a given TPS and RPM since the procharger is spun of the crank. Had it for 9 years it made 600rwhp, always had the same boost per TPS/RPM. Didnt matter what gear it was in.

Your talking about multiplication of the gear ratios in the trans, which changes engine RPM. Superchargers build boost based on RPM. Now, stock GM ECU's do dump boost in first gear to limit power and protect the drive train, but this is intentionally dumping generated boost. Procharger don't do this, and any supercharger/blower doesn't do this, this is the problem with Turbo's since they take a few seconds to spool up based on load.. so your simply not in first gear long enough in most cases to build boost.

I just wanted to ensure he didnt go PE at 3psi since he just blew up a motor from running boost out of PE, trying to avoid a repeat rebuild.
    Last edited by 10_SS; 08-01-2012 at 10:19 PM.

Senior Tuner
    tps/rpm, yea i get it. what else changes? load. air flow differences. set the cruise and go up a hill.

tps will increase, rpm remains with in a constant +/-100 rpm. what happens to the g/cyl? it goes up.

you keep using your tps theory. i will use map. and everyone else will do whatever they want.