Thread: Help with '10 Camaro SS Alternator Output

Potential Tuner

Help with '10 Camaro SS Alternator Output

I had a friend contact me with the local Police Department and they have five 2011 Camaro SS Automatics they are having issues with retaining a charge on the battery at idle. Their equipment causes a draw on the battery to the point that if the car idles long enough, their electronic equipment will begin to shut down and in several cases, has killed the battery. I saw a whole segment related to the alternator's performance for the 2010 and up Camaro in the System section. Can someone who has experience with this issue assist in what changes would need to be made to the alternator segment to increase the output at idle or lower speeds?

Thank you -

Idle higher or get a better alternator. That's really the only option.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Idle higher or get a better alternator. That's really the only option.
    OK - the alternator section of HP Tuners cannot improve output at idle? I was not sure if it turned down the duty cycle or not at lower engine speeds. I also wasn't sure if the AFM on that car had any effect on alternator performance. I suppose a higher amperage DC Alternator may be the best solution.

Senior Tuner
    open the truck and look on the ground wire/negative terminal. there is going to be a black round clip, with a harness on it about 6-8 inches away from the terminal. unplug it.

this removes the ecm's control of the alternators output.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
    open the truck and look on the ground wire/negative terminal. there is going to be a black round clip, with a harness on it about 6-8 inches away from the terminal. unplug it.

this removes the ecm's control of the alternators output.
    Thank you for the info on that. Have you successfully done this to your car or others out there with no negative effect?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellenium View Post
    Thank you for the info on that. Have you successfully done this to your car or others out there with no negative effect?
    i have it done in my truck with a mild system in it. no codes or anything funny.
    voltage is steady at 14.7

The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.