Thread: PLX power source and hp tuners eio ground?

Tuner in Training

PLX power source and hp tuners eio ground?

First off, I am a complete noob.

I have looked all over the place and can't find a good answer for my question. I just got the PLX SM-AFR with DM-6 gauge. I adapted a cigarette lighter to the power plug that comes with it. I picked one up from radio shack rated at 10 amps and also has a switch on it so that I can turn it off when needed. I was trying to just make it portable. I have read some places that say that this power source is sufficient and will work just fine and others say it is a poor choice. It seems to work fine, but will I have trouble with noise or something along those lines?

Also the SM-AFR has a single 0-5v analog output for data logging with things like hp tuners, but hp tuners also shows that a ground is needed for port 5 for example. I was playing around with it the other day and I still get readings without a ground for port 5. Just had the single wire going into port 1 on the eio. Will this be an issue or do I need to ground the thing with port 5?

I have noticed that the LM2 comes with a cigarette lighter adapter.

Just trying to make sure I get the most accurate reading from my wideband so that I can do some tuning. Thanks for any help.

Tuner in Training
    Forgot to mention that the car is a 1999 Trans Am 6 speed

Tuner
    i did not use the ground on the port. i did ground the guage though. i seen a post a while ago about hooking it up, and there were others who stated that there was no difference in signal wether the port was grounded or not.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah I haven't even tried to ground port 5 from the eio to see any difference. I just plugged it up the way the instructions had it that came with the PLX. Still looking around to see if the cigarette adapter is a good enough power source.