Thread: Car is slower with new heads/cam???

Advanced Tuner

Car is slower with new heads/cam???

I know the gmpp heads are not the best. But I purchased them and Landspeed polished the ports and did a 4 angle valve job. Before the new cam I had a 2c livernois cam. 224/236 620/620 117 lsa. I went with a patrick g cam. 114 plus 4. 231/238 638/615 cam.

This is a g8. Before my best time at a da of 5300 was 12.41 at 115 mph. Now I go 12.47 or higher at 114.

Then I went to a track a while ago when the da was 1500 and ran a 11.9 at 116. I went this time when the da was 2300 feet and the best i ran was a 12.1 at 113.

With the new ported heads and this cam I was told I would make another 60 rwhp.

I am not. I am right at about the same as I was before. I have no power up top.

I have not had a dyno tune yet. But I did go on the dyno and power is about the same as before. I will see my tuner next week to actually do a dyno "tune".

The installer swears everything was done correctly.

Is the 2c that good of a cam or is something wrong> Maybe she is starving for alot more fuel. Today I upped the maf by 15% just to be safe. I do not have a afr meter connected. It seemed a little stronger. But I just do not think this cam is performing. Maybe I just need more patience and when I see my tuner he will perform miracles.

Any insight?

You have a huge heavy car that needs alot of bottom end torque to get the car moving. That 224 cam was probably working better with the car's setup. Also alot of times ported LS3 heads on a stock bottom end car are about worthless. They have PLENTY of cylinder head from the factory. Furthermore it's unfair to compare track results without a retune after completely different induction parts are on the car. Quite a bit bigger camshaft will change alot in the tune.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400