Thread: What is the best way to limit boost spikes?

What is the best way to limit boost spikes?

What is the best way to limit boost spikes, I get a spike up to 27psi and I want to limit that to like 24psi max.

Tuner in Training
    Wgdc
    Boost Lover

would over boosting cause KR?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by brycerice View Post
    would over boosting cause KR?
    Sometimes it can, sometimes it won't, hard to say. Like yoecotec said, adjust your wastegate duty cycle in the area that the spike happens.

spikes can be very bad for the pistons and ringlands over time, it also can make the turbo put out more heat which means less efficiency up top. Spikes look cool on a dyno sheet but thats about it in my opinion haha

I retuned it using both the wgdc and the by smothing out the MALT curve to hit 100% at 4k, now get a small spike to 24 holds at 22.5 until 5.5k

I retuned it using both the wgdc and the by smothing out the MALT curve to hit 100% at 4k, now get a small spike to 24 holds at 22.5 until 5.5k
    I'm glad my post in the cobalt forum helped you..

Quote Originally Posted by Freakotec View Post
    I'm glad my post in the cobalt forum helped you..
    Thanks always appreciate the help. So when you gonna help me start on a e47 tune? I can only get e85 out here so can I just mix 50/50 with 91?

Thanks always appreciate the help. So when you gonna help me start on a e47 tune? I can only get e85 out here so can I just mix 50/50 with 91?
    Yeah that's basically it. Just mix 1 part e85 with 1 part 91 (or 93.. whatever you have access to). I would recommend getting an ethanol tester just to be absolutely sure you are dealing with actual e85. Depending on the time of the year and what part of the country you're in, the blends can vary to as low as 70% (e70), so it's a good idea to just test the fuel first so you can keep your blends consistant. Trust me, it sounds WAY harder than it really is. Search on Jegs for ethanol tester. I think it's like $20, and it's just a simple test tube that you mix water and ethanol in to get your % of ethanol content. Easy peasy....

ok i will look into getting one... hey quick question should i upgrade my intercooler first?

It never hurts just to play it safe so you don't have to worry about blowing out the plastic endtakes, but performance wise....ehh.. the stocker really isn't all THAT bad. I quite honestly didn't really notice a whole lot of difference in my iat2's when comparing the stocker to the zzp or hahn ic's. I personally just feel more secure not having to worry about the stupid endtanks blowing out on me though.