Thread: LSJ KR and Misfire issues?

LSJ KR and Misfire issues?

Hey guys. I was wondering if someone could maybe give me a hand in figuring out what's going on with my tune here?

Mods are k&n cai, catback exhaust, siemen 60's, 2.8 pulley, zzp s3 h.e., lightweight flywheel, and clutchmaster s3 clutch.

I know some cooling mods are definitely needed, and to also get rid of the stock dp (which will soon be done), but even before I start building up alot of heat I am getting some pretty heavy kr at wot in 3rd gear. I'm also getting a decent amount of random misfires while just cruising around. I'm contributing alot of the misfires to the lightweight flywheel, but i could be wrong with that. Any ideas?

Now I know the tune isn't exactly perfect here, but I'm still trying to get my chops up and get this things dialed in, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I attached a recent log, and the tune file that corresponds with the log. Thanks in advance everyone!

Advanced Tuner
    Havent seen your tune yet but misfire could be from the larger injectors. Also I have heard that lightened flywheels can cause misfire.

If you have KR at WOT reduce timing in those cells.

Yeah I actually had a TON more misfire with the original injector tables I used, but with the current injector tables the misfire is substantially less, however it's still present at light accel. This is sort of why I'm thinking that it's maybe the flywheel.... hopefully.

As far as the kr goes, if I just pull the timing from the cells showing knock in the histo then my timing tables ar all sorts of jumpy and just aren't smooth at all.. ya know what I mean? At the moment the issue is in the .92-1.00 g/cly rows at wot where I have timing ramping from 10* at 3000rpm up to 17* by 4600. I tried pulling a few degrees out to 14* and it still knocks. Makes no sense. Plus I'm going pretty conservative in the pe tables so it shouldn't be a lean issue. I'm currently commanding 11.5a/f so I don't really want to richen things up TOO much to here.
    Last edited by Freakotec; 05-25-2012 at 03:19 PM.

when i had the spec lightweight flywheel, i was getting a misfire code that stayed for the entirety of the time i had the flywheel. i did not have hpt at that time, but i do bet thats whats making you see misfires on your scanner. does it actually feel as if it would misfire?? because mine never did actually misfire

Okay you need to STOP doing wot pulls with your iat at 180-223 degrees. Thats one big reason you are getting knock for two you need to log the wideband so you can dial in your afr. If you don't have a wideband stop doing wot before you melt your car or blow it apart. Go to a stg2 timing table or stock one for now till you get the iat2 under control. I bet the intercooler pumps dead or you are losing water from your intercooler system.

Quote Originally Posted by laser_racer View Post
    Okay you need to STOP doing wot pulls with your iat at 180-223 degrees. Thats one big reason you are getting knock for two you need to log the wideband so you can dial in your afr. If you don't have a wideband stop doing wot before you melt your car or blow it apart. Go to a stg2 timing table or stock one for now till you get the iat2 under control. I bet the intercooler pumps dead or you are losing water from your intercooler system.
    haha.. funny you should mention that. I tested the pump last night and it's definitely kaputski! Needless to say, a new pump is on the way. As far as logging with a wideband. Unfortunately I don't have hpt pro so I have no real way to actually log a/f. Is there a way around this without having pro? I do however have a pillar mounted aem widband which I monitor constantly particularly during wot pulls. I simply had a bung welded into the stock dp pre-cat (obviously). So far I'm registering pretty nuts on with my commanded pe, except for of course when the ecm starts dumping fuel for COT.

So aside for the high iat's and kr due to the pump crapping out, does everything else look pretty solid with the tune itself? I'm very much open and happy to hear any suggestions and tips anyone has.

Let me look again I just took quick look at it really. Also for wideband you can hook it to ac pressure switch but you won't have ac till you hook it back up. One guy used a three position switch to go between wideband and ac.

You should go under engine diagnostics and disable cat test. Then set your dynamic settings under airflow tab to 300 disable and 200 enable. Under power enrich change your enable by throttle at minimum of 50% so you won't go in to pe before you want to. Under cot lean cruise cot adders should be zeroed out also max out temp threshold table. Thats about it for now lol.

Here is afr settings for the aem hooked to ac pressure switch. ([PID.7101]/.5)+9.5
    Here is afr error. 100*([USER.9005]-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121] The user.9005 part will pend where you put the first pid.

Let me look again I just took quick look at it really. Also for wideband you can hook it to ac pressure switch but you won't have ac till you hook it back up. One guy used a three position switch to go between wideband and ac.
    Yeah I've heard of this one a few times. I'll have to try to mess with the aux output of my wideband and see if I can get everything scaled properly. (I can see a headache coming on from that one.. lol)

You should go under engine diagnostics and disable cat test. Then set your dynamic settings under airflow tab to 300 disable and 200 enable. Under power enrich change your enable by throttle at minimum of 50% so you won't go in to pe before you want to. Under cot lean cruise cot adders should be zeroed out also max out temp threshold table. Thats about it for now lol.
    Ok so a few questions here. Considering that I'm still working with the stock dp at the moment (yes this I know is a bit of an issue in itself), shouldn't I leave the cat test enabled, leave the cot adders, and leave the temp threshhold where I have it? I know with where things are now, the ecm will obviously start dumping fuel to save the cat, but isn't that sort of the point if I'm trying to dial in the tune with what I have for right now? Once a catless dp is thrown in, then I'll of course disable all cot tables, but is it a good idea for me at the moment?

Also, by lowering my dynamic airflow enable/disable that low, I assume I'm basically running purely off of the maf all the time? Is it safer/better to stay in ve mode in the lower rpms and part throttle stuff, or just run basically purely off of the maf.

Sorry for all the questions man. I'm still trying to perfect all this stuff. I really really do appreciate the help though!

Here is afr settings for the aem hooked to ac pressure switch. ([PID.7101]/.5)+9.5
    Here is afr error. 100*([USER.9005]-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121] The user.9005 part will pend where you put the first pid.
    Woah.. You were WAY ahead of me on this one! lol

I just finished typing my reply back to you from your previous posts and BOOM, there's the answer to avoid my impending headache.

Lol you can tune ve if you want but you have to tune the maf all the way one way or another. Also you cut all those items off so while tuning car doesn't power fuel in cylinders while setting it up. If you want after tune cut them back on but I just leave them off.

Yeah that makes sense. It sure does make things alot easier, but I sort of cringe at the thought of the maf failing and having no ve tables to fall back onto.

I'm still doing my best to get better at ve tuning as well to be honest. I'm a little too used to lnf's so I'm kind of relearning things here a bit ass-backwards.. lol

So what exactly is it that I am logging in order to adjust the ve tables? I set up my histo as map vs rpm vs ltft+stft.. Is this correct or am I way off here?

Doesn't the lnf run on straight maf already? To tune ve you got to fail maf to tune ve. I can't really say I have had a maf fail before. We got 170k on our redline and replaced maf twice.

Yeah the lnf runs straight off of the maf, but there's no ve tables to adjust. I'm pretty sure it runs off of dynamic load when in limp mode though which is set in the dal table.

Maybe I'll just keep it simple and run straight off of maf like your saying. Just for my own knowledge though, is the way I mentioned above the correct way to dial in the ve table?

It's map vs rpm with the sensor being logged of stft+ltft. In the tune you have to set maf fail high to zero and under dtc set the maf fail high code to go off one first error not second error.