Thread: Need help with dreaded p1516 code

Potential Tuner

Need help with dreaded p1516 code

Hello all! I need some help and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I brought a 2006 C6 with a cam, CAI, long tubes, x pipe, routee 66 exhaust and tuned. When I picked it up it wouldn't start. (Should have walked away). Guy said it was running fine but washed the outside and may have gotten some water on PCM. Ran good with no issues once it started. Would not start after every 10 to 15 times of running fine. Would go into "reduced power mode". Would have to disconnect battery and reset, then it would run great. PCM was under warranty, so got a new one and took it to get tuned. First with stock tune then performance tuned it. The car and ran like a beast. No problems with it not starting or going into reduced power mode upon start.

Here's my problem...Now when I turn the traction control "OFF" and bump the throttle (maybe have way down or less,) even just sitting with the clutch in it throws the REP code and p1516. I also get P0606. I never had the trottle have that issue before. If it started fine it would run hard no matter what setting I had the traction control on. I am almost positive it is in the tune, but the guy who tuned it has never heard of that happening.

WHAT OR WHER DO I LOOK? thanks for any suggestions.

Tuner in Training
    Is the throttle body ported?

Potential Tuner
    No not ported. Stock throttle body.

Potential Tuner
    question. is there 2 maps...one for traction control on and one for when I turn the traction control off? Could the map for the traction control off be too aggressive and throw my car into limp mode? Someone suggested that, but I know nothing about the maps. Thanks

May have to get a Tech Ii reflash and work forward from there.

Potential Tuner
    That's what we did to start. I just don't want to go back and start over and have the same problem. I just wondered if anyone else has had that problem. I guess I am going to have to start from scratch and keep my fingers crossed.

Well if you think the occurances of throwing the codes are unrelated, you can try troubleshooting the throttle body code by checking all connections at the throttle body, and swapping out the TB itself as well as the gas pedal sensor. It's a tedious process...in my case it ended up being my TB. I was getting throttle plate flutter when I came off of boost. Not sure if the spring was tired or it had something to do with the config of the porting, but as soon as I replaced the TB it stopped.