Thread: overlapped trifecta tune

Tuner in Training

overlapped trifecta tune

How do I get an overlapping trifecta file?

If you mean a layer or switchable tune, you have to get it from Trifecta and use their hardware to load it. If a layer tune then you can write cal on top of it. No need for it anymore since HPT opened up the tables last year.

I'm not sure if they offer a layer tune in the switchable version.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    I'm not sure if they offer a layer tune in the switchable version.
    They do...

P&P Tuning

Thanks for the info, I haven't talked to Vince in over a year.

Tuner in Training
    ya Im looking for the switchable version

Once you load his base layer file you can HPT write cal over the tables but you will not be able to read entire the ECU.

Tuner in Training
    So how do i get that trifecta base layer to make it a trifecta/hptune? What do you mean i wont be able to read the entire ecu? How much is that overlapping layer? Im buying the hpsuite pro tomorrow probably. And what did you mean "since hpt opened up the tables last year"? What does that mean? Haha sorry im quite confused about all this stuff but im trying to learn. Thanks for the help.

You don't need the pro version if you are only tuning an LNF, it has a factory wideband 02 sensor already. If you plan on tuning other cars, then get the pro for the aux inputs later.

You will need to buy the trifecta tune & rent his hardware to install the layer tune, then tune with HPT on top of it. You will not be able to save the entire tune, only the HPT layer.

WHen you start with HPT you will need a Read Entire of your ECU before you do anything.

The advantage in the past was better boost & wastegate control but since last year, HPT has all the tables available to do everything except the switchable tune.

IMO, you need to learn HPT tuning & logging before you start on the layer tuning with TF.

Small steps, grasshopper.
    Last edited by Iam Broke; 05-24-2012 at 07:59 AM.

IMO, you need to learn HPT tuning & logging before you start on the layer tuning with TF.

Small steps, grasshopper.
    Agreed!

P&P Tuning

Tuner in Training
    Oh ya i was just curious its definatly not worth buying the trifecta tune then. Thanks for the help. Oh and the pro version has the blackbox datalogging feature is that good? Could you just have a laptop with the normal version and it do the same thing?

Tuner in Training
    "With our Pro interface, you can integrate 0-5v signals from various sensors such as EGT, Wide Band, fuel pressure and others" would any of these be useful for tuning a cobalt?

Tuner in Training
    Eh ill just get the pro. Just to keep the option open to tune friends cars and trucks.

Tuner in Training
    Whats the best way to really learn how to tune well? Just read on here?

To use the pro version aux inputs you would need to buy and install a wideband 02 sensor on your buddies cars. Not a cheap accessory.

Pro not needed on an LNF Cobalt. Cars without a WB can be tuned by tying in the WB to a A/C pressure sensor or EGR input in a pinch but it takes a lot of learning also.

Best way is to get a mentor, buy an e-tune and have them teach you along the way. That's how I learned from Terminator2 a few years ago. Read BYT's and CobaltOverboosters guides and ask questions. The LNF is different to tune than LS1's, LSJ's ect. It's a Bosch ECU & system.

Last I knew the Pro BlackBox logging function was MIA on the LNF. I know a few autox'rs here that wish it worked. Can't have the lappy in the car when at the track or course.

To use the pro version aux inputs you would need to buy and install a wideband 02 sensor on your buddies cars. Not a cheap accessory.

Pro not needed on an LNF Cobalt. Cars without a WB can be tuned by tying in the WB to a A/C pressure sensor or EGR input in a pinch but it takes a lot of learning also.

Best way is to get a mentor, buy an e-tune and have them teach you along the way. That's how I learned from Terminator2 a few years ago. Read BYT's and CobaltOverboosters guides and ask questions. The LNF is different to tune than LS1's, LSJ's ect. It's a Bosch ECU & system.

Last I knew the Pro BlackBox logging function was MIA on the LNF. I know a few autox'rs here that wish it worked. Can't have the lappy in the car when at the track or course.
    Pro not needed on LNF, how about the Cruze? Does it have a factory wideband?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner132 View Post
    Whats the best way to really learn how to tune well? Just read on here?
    read every thread available to the platform you wish to learn about.
    and as said before the most important is ask questions no matter how dumb they are. a dumb question is always cheaper than a broken motor.

iambroke: what happened to the blackbox feature? mine still standalones on all the lnf's ive plugged it into.... i hope recent updates havent hindered its standalone feature innop
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    iambroke: what happened to the blackbox feature?........
    I think there was mention that the latest interfaces have a different chip or firmware not allowing it to run, though I am not 100% sure on this.

IDK either, I just remember a few disappointed AutoX'rs posting 'bout it.

Read BYT's and CobaltOverboosters guides and ask questions.
    this. the perfect way to start and how im doing it right now.
    2008 Sky RL