Thread: Dyno tuning with Lambda (drivability & wot)

Dyno tuning with Lambda (drivability & wot)

With a big cam change, and tuning for VE. I understand that tuning for drivability we can set the ECM to Open Loop, and zero out all variables until we have a commanded lambda of 1.0 and with a calibrated wideband, do a constant speed test to see where we are at with out actual readings throughout the map range on a constant speed dyno by setting a lambda error.

If we plot this data against our VE table, we can get a pretty good idea of what our CAM is doing in the engine and adjust the VE accordingly.

My question is, its all fine and dandy doing it to 2500rpm or so, but how does everyone do it for RPMs all the way up to 6000?

For example, if I'm commanding lambda of 1.0, am I not commanding 14.63 +/- AFR?

If that the case, what are the drawbacks of tuning this way. Are we not going too lean using this method?

I understand that on a boosted car, 13:1 is dangerous, and most likely 14.7 is not because its too lean to cause any damage (out of that threshold), but are the engine temps not going to go up?

My question being, we can tune to 2500-3000 maybe using lambda 1.

But for anything over that, what would someone be commanding? I'd say over 3000rpm, I start commanding 12.8 AFR or lambda .85, and plot my lambda error against 0.85?

Thanks if your still following me.

Just try to make actual lambda agree with commanded. You don't have to set it to 1 everywhere.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Makes perfect sense thank you

Advanced Tuner
    What matters is that your fueling follows commanded in all possible scenarios. WOT or cruising, doesn't matter. Don't stress over every thing being perfect either because it will never happen.
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 1LT RS

Formerly - 2004 GTO, 2002 Z28, 2007 Colorado, 2008 Silverado

Stupid question but I am having issues tuning for e70 on a supercharged vehicle and want to switch to lambda tuning. I already built a lambda error pid, commanded lambda pid and created a custom pid for my wideband that converts to lambda. So I am hoping that it all works when I set it up.

My question is do I put 1 for stoich in the tune then? and what else do I need to change?

You need to put what the stoich value actually is in the tune, e70 is approximately 11.70 AFR, but its always better to test your fuel to get a real number instead of an estimate.

On your comment about 14.7 being out of range to be dangerous, that is totally false. The highest combustion temperature occurs at lambda=1, for gasoline, 14.7. Either direction you move away from lambda 1 the cooler it gets (but for different reasons).

Tested my fuel and it is in deed e70 but I thought for e70 it was 11.162? I know there is alot of misinformation out there on ethanol based fuels but I have seen people use different stoich for the same fuels.

Yea, my bad, its closer to that.