Thread: Tuning VE Table with Fuel Trims

Tuning VE Table with Fuel Trims

Alright I dialed in my buddies trans am using fuel trims. So naturally MAF and PE are disabled when I did this. Then I dialed in the MAF and PE table.

Once I polished the tune and turned everything back on the MAF and PE table the AFR were still right were I wanted them.

The fuel trims however were not and I was curious if that is normal? I am newer to tuning and have done my GTO,SSS, and HHR SS and always got the AFRs were I wanted and never really paid attention to the fuel trims after I set the VE table and finished the rest of the tune.

Should the trims still be +- 0-5 once everything is back on? If so is it the MAF making the trims go wonky or am I missing something entirely...

Disabled PE?!?! Hope you didn't run it too hard that way.

How did you know where the AFR was if you were using fuel trims to dial it in? If you had a WB to know the AFR you should have tuned with that and disabled the fuel trims. Tune with the WB then verify/adjust the o2 settings.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Sorry I didnt mean PE what I should have said is DFCO, COT and copy high octane table to low octane table. Yes I did have a wideband hooked up and it was working. However when I shut things down after a logging session the AFR Error failed to work even after 2 hours of trying every dang thing I could think of. Yes I was logging AFR Error, AFR, and AFR commanded but the end result in that table I did not trust at all. I was getting wacky numbers that would have corrected way further then they needed to... At that point I switched to using just STFT Trims since my LTFT were less then 10. At this point I disabled PE and was able to get trims between 0-4 or 5... Should PE have stayed on when tuning with just STFT's? There was zero kr the entire time.

So once I tuned the MAF I then renabled the MAF, DFCO, COT, and I noticed my trims go double what I had them at. Is that normal? When entering PE the AFR fell right into place so I had no issues there.

I am new to tuning so if anything seems amiss please let me know.
    Last edited by cruiser787904; 05-23-2012 at 08:46 AM.

Disable your LTFT, reset, then try again.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    Reset fuel traims after every flash before logging/scanning.