Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: random flashing SES light :(

random flashing SES light :(

I have been working on tuning the VE table on my H/C Transam. The car has been driving great for about 4 weeks over 1K miles now. I went on a long 4+ hour trip the other day and car ran at 14.57 in 6th for hours. The next day on my way to work my car started driving a little funny than i got a flashin SES light. When i got to work i scaned the car with a cose reader. No codes On the way home i got the same thing Flashing ses lights but no codes.................Is there a way i can use my Hp Tuners to see what is making the SES light flash and my ruff driving... Thank for the help i am going to data log my drive to work in the AM and post a LOG file.

Advanced Tuner
    I had a flashing SES light that drove me crazy for a few weeks. Turned out to be a plug wire that wasnt on all the way and at certain rpms would flash the light but leave no code. I finally ran a log for misfires and saw what it was.
    16 psi on E85

birthplace of GM- Flint, MI where the water is heavy
    ^^^^Happened to me also

It makes no sense that there are no codes but a flashing ses is always a misfire detected...Cam? Disabled p0300 codes?

i changed my plugs after i had the SES light problem. I did a dats log on the way to work. My bank one O2 pulse is sky high compared to my bank 2. I just bought new O2 sensors i am out to go put them in now. I will also recheck all my plug wires.

What is the best way to set the Vcm scanner up to monitor misfires?? I am trying to figure out it I have a bad coil or bad wires.

ok so i put in new O2 sensore new TR6 plugs and new taylor 8.2 wires....i still have the same problem. I would think if it was on the pass side my wideband would be off but its not. Whats a good way to log misfires so i can try and narrow it down to a cylender or two. This is starting to drive me NUTTS!!! it has been good for so long.

Add the misfire pid's for all cyls to the table & log it. An exhaust leak on one side before or close to the front 02's will drive the fuel trims very positive on the leaky side trying to make up for excess air and you may be flooding one or more cyls out. If it's on the opposite bank from your wb it won't see it.
    Last edited by Iam Broke; 05-23-2012 at 05:24 PM.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

i did go and try to retightn my header bolts. I also have a band clamp after my o2 sensor. I did a misfire log and a normal driveing log. I am working on trying to fix a tune someone did for me a few years ago. So far all i have done is the VE table and a little in the MAF table.. Here is my Misfire log my Normal driving log and my tune. Please go easy on me as i am learning and trying to fix someone else not good tune that i payed for..

You're misfires are all over but worse on #3 & #6 but I suppose you knew that.

Your STFT's are adding ~50% fuel to bank 2 and the 02 sensor is still never switching & you are pulling ~25% from bank 1. Look for leaks on the passenger side (Bank 2). The fuel trims are so far off I suspect it's causing your misfire issues.

If the header flange was leaking in the past the gasket prob burned out and needs to be replaced.

Any chance of piston damage? You might want to run a compression test also.

Hard to get a handle on it over the interwebz.

Advanced Tuner
    Maybe the o2 sensors are hook up with bank one on two and bank two on one. I did this once the trims went negative on one bank and positive on the other and started running like shit
    My setup is a 356ci with a 260/268 (212/218 at .050 lift) duration cam with aluminium corvette heads and flat top pistons running 11.3 comp. ratio. with tuned port injection and vortec crank pick up and dizzy running a 411 pcm and 60lb bosch injectors, 1.6 ratio roller rockers. For transmission its a 4l65e built with the monster in a box mega ss kit. All in a 92 chevy ext cab 4x4 pickup with a 98 cab now installed with a third door! running only e85

Every time I had a flashing SES it was severe misfire.

Your problem gets worse because the trims are all over the place, the misfires cause false lean readings making the engine run poorly.

If you tuned VE and MAF set you tune in open loop and do a datalog, make sure you get an AFR of 14.2-14.8 then find the misfires and fix them
    Next, return to closed loop and test

mil flashing is cause it is reading raw fuel being dumped into mother earth!lol
    tsp LQ9 408, wiesco -10cc, ls7s cam,tsp 5.3Lheads ,stock rockers with upgraded trunions,BBK intake manifold;ported polished intake runners,80MM Tb,haltech CAI,Longtubes,RPM full drivetrain,3:15 gears.

Senior Tuner
    You also have P0300 set to 3 No Report and No Ses

Quote Originally Posted by wyochimneysweep View Post
    Maybe the o2 sensors are hook up with bank one on two and bank two on one. I did this once the trims went negative on one bank and positive on the other and started running like shit
    Can you explain? I think yo mean i have the in the wrong location. I have NGK 21537 02 CORVETTE SENSORS. I was told that those have a better heater and a longer cable.
    I have never notced the p300 code disabled. I am working on trying to get my car to run better. i had someone else tune it and it has never run right.

I have the percy's seals for good aluminum gasket. I hope i did not blow it out LOL

Something is wrong with the B2 O2 sensor, as it isn't switching till after frame 1300. Check for fouled spark plugs on the pass side of the engine.

Russ Kemp

i put brand new plugs and wires on about an hour B4 i did those 2 logs.

Quote Originally Posted by afasttransam View Post
    Can you explain? I think yo mean i have the in the wrong location. I have NGK 21537 02 CORVETTE SENSORS. I was told that those have a better heater and a longer cable.
    I have never notced the p300 code disabled. I am working on trying to get my car to run better. i had someone else tune it and it has never run right.

I have the percy's seals for good aluminum gasket. I hope i did not blow it out LOL
    He means you may have inadvertently connected the 02 sensors to the opposite pigtails. Disconnect the left side 02 (as sitting in the car) and see if bank one fails. Driver's side is bank one in the US, IDK your location or setup.

The car has ran pretty good for the last 3 months or so. When all this misfireing started last week that is when i put the 02 vette sensors in. I did that based on what i have heard from a few(want to be) tuners in my area. I am going to go back to the standard NGK sensors for the 99 car on saturday. After i get a DATA log i will post that. THANKS for all the help so far.

I am in the US the car has 215cc trickflow heads comp .581/.588 244/230 cam harland sharp rockers fast92/92 LS2 injectors 255 pump few other bolt ons. QTP headers 2 magnaflow cats ( i have e-check) and a magnaflow catback. REAR O2s should be off.