Thread: Idle problem when braking

Idle problem when braking

HI everyone.I always enjoy this forum. So much info. I have a problem that I caannot seem to find. When I start up the engine, it idles pretty descent. When I put it in gear 1st,2nd,3rd with the brake pressed the idle drops down from 900rpm to about 500-600rpm. Only happens when I am in the forward gears. In nuetral,park or reverse no problem. I just rebuilt the engine so it is still not completly tuned. The only physical connection is the hose that comes from the intake manifold to the brake booster. If I hold the brake for a period of time the widebands goes rich. I will post my tune and config file. Any help will be appreciated. I am running SD 2 bar open loop with my HP Tuners. Thanks in advance for any help or advice. Please remeber that I am just starting this tune. It is used for street and drag racing.

Here is the engine specs:
    Stroked 393ci,Callies crank & rods, JE pistons,Total Seal rings FAST 90mm throttle body & intake manifold w/60# injectors on their fuel rail. ProCharger D1SC running 8 rib. AFR Heads 2.02/1.6. CompCams 624/624 with 116LSA. All parts torque to specs with ARP Fastners. Melling High Volume oil pump, with SLP dual chain timing. Installed and not active yet is snow performance meth injection and 125 shot Zex nitrous direct port injection. SLP Sub Frames,UMI rear location brackes,adjustable torque arm and stabalizer and other goodies.
    2000 CamaroSS, ProCharger P1SC 8lbs boost,SLP Maf,Subframe,Adjustable torque Arm,MSD wires, ignition and coils,3.73 gears,eibach lowering springs, SLP Linelock, Hooker Headers, Flowmasters, Strange Shocks with Coilovers front Strange Shocks back, BMR front and rear swaybars with rear adjustable location brackets

Tuner
    First, your IFR table needs adjusted. After 0 KPa vacuum it's all wrong.

Secondly, scan your IAC counts at idle in Park and in Gear.

Thanks for the fast reply. What is the IFR table and where is it located in the HP Tuners. Don't mean to sound ignorant but I looked at the tables and did not know what IFR is and where is it located. Also how do you scan the IAC counts. I know you have to set it up in the histogram but what parameters do you use. I am using the Beta 2.23 version. Thanks again cause I really need to get this corrected.
    2000 CamaroSS, ProCharger P1SC 8lbs boost,SLP Maf,Subframe,Adjustable torque Arm,MSD wires, ignition and coils,3.73 gears,eibach lowering springs, SLP Linelock, Hooker Headers, Flowmasters, Strange Shocks with Coilovers front Strange Shocks back, BMR front and rear swaybars with rear adjustable location brackets

Tuner
    Injector Flow Rate vs. KPa under the Fuel tab.

IAC counts is a PID. Insert it into your primary logging table.

do a search for russ k's idle config, it will explain how to use it. BUT.... fix your IFR before messing with IAC.
    Last edited by HO4THSS; 05-09-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Thanks Nodnarb.Ok got it! I often wondered how the injector flow was determined. I had seen other tunes with higher numbers from 0kpa on. I have the tuning school book and all it said was to subtract the new injectors number from what was in the IFR tables and the sum was added. Is this how it is done or is there a different way? I also included in my scanner tables IAC Position and IAC Desired Position. Is this the information that you are talking about? Please let me know. Thanks
    And thanks HO4THSS. I did follow Russ k's idle tune but did not realize that I had the wrong numbers in the IFR table. I will correct this then redo the tuning. I will post the results and tune after I correct the issues.

Hey Nodnarb. I have a question for you. I adjusted the flow rate vs KPA and the best setting that I could get for the best idle and the most consistent. Do I need to adjust the other tables in the Injector Control also and if so where would the most important one be first. The IAC count at park in idle was arount 160. When in 1st gear it would go up to about 395-400. When the brake was pressed while in gear the idle would still stall but would stay up in the 700-800 rpm range while steady 400 count. I did up the IAC Stepsvs Effective area to the max 400.Thanks in advance and please let me know.

Tuner
    Use the attached IFR table for those 60's. Leave the steps vs. effective area stock.

Sounds like you need to open the throttle blade a little. IAC counts are too high.

Once this is done, run Russ's idle config again.

Thanks for the information. The information is pretty close to where I have it right now so you are spot on. How to I open up the throttle blade. Is there a mechanical screw like the stop screw adjustment. Is this what you are referring to. I will put the efective area back to stock like you suggested. Thanks again and please let me know about the throttle blade. Thanks!

I forgot to mention if I open the throttle blade up a little do I need to readjust mt TPS setting? Because I do have it in % setup in my scanner or do I just leave it?

Please disregard the last 2 questions. I found the answer. amazing what you can find when you need to.

OK. I got the IAC count down by adjsting the throttle. I had to go down to 0 at idle and then it fluctuates from 0 to 1 and back at .74v. It sure made a big difference in the idle and a lot more manageable. I then adjusted the airflow in both gear and park and then I adjusted the VE. I guess because I am running a blower, it does change things alot. I am asking if adjusting to 0 in park is good. When I put it in gear it goes up to about 200 and when I press the brake it climbs up to about 300 and sometimes it goes to 310 but the idle will fluctuate between 750 to 850 RPM and the commanded that I have now is at 900 in gear. Does this sound like I am on the right track. Please let me know. Thanks!