Thread: 2001 Yukon Denali thinks it's a 2002 Silverado with a 5.3

Tuner in Training

Exclamation 2001 Yukon Denali thinks it's a 2002 Silverado with a 5.3

I'm trying to figure this one out, so please bear with me. I've never ran into a situation like this. I'm hoping that somebody here has dealt with this, and can give me some good advice so I don't chase my own tail for weeks.

The truck is a 2001 Yukon Denali, 6.0 with a DBW throttle body. 100% stock, with the exception of a Magnacharger MP112. This is where things get stupid.

The truck owner bought the Maggie kit new/unused from a local guy who had it on a shelf for years. The kit was originally ordered for a 2002 Silverado 1500, 5.3 liter, with a DBC throttle body. And it came with a Superchips canned tune.... Maybe you can already see where I'm going with this.

He installed the Maggie, then loaded the tune file. The throttle body no longer works. On the scanner, TPS reads 0% all the time, and while idling I get a P0122. After scratching my head for a while, I was looking at the DTC list in the tune file and compared it to a 2001 GMC C3 file that I have.

I see that the 2 trucks have different settings for the Throttle Position Sensor 1 circuit, and the Throttle Position Sensor 2 circuit. It looks like they are opposite of each other. I searched, but I couldn't find any info on this. My hunch is that TPS 1 is for DBC and TPS 2 is for DBW? Or am I way off base?

Or.....should I just do a write entire starting with the C3 file, and then modify that tune for the MP112?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you have written a DBC calibration into the PCM - it won't work with DBW equipment (APP / TAC / TB).

You need to do a write entire with the original 2001 Escalade calibration (tune) - you saved it before over writing the PCM with the Superchips handheld correct ?

Before rewriting the Escalade tune - read the Superchips tune - then use it as a general guide for the intial setup of the forced induction Escalade tune.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    Sounds like you have written a DBC calibration into the PCM - it won't work with DBW equipment (APP / TAC / TB).

You need to do a write entire with the original 2001 Escalade calibration (tune) - you saved it before over writing the PCM with the Superchips handheld correct ?

Before rewriting the Escalade tune - read the Superchips tune - then use it as a general guide for the intial setup of the forced induction Escalade tune.
    This vehicle was towed to me, already in this condition. So unfortunately I do not have the original stock tune file.

I've tuned quite a few supercharged trucks, so I have a pretty good idea of what to do with that. I just have this one hurdle to overcome. (at least I hope this is the only hurdle...)

Thanks for the post. I'll try a write entire for a DBW, and see what happens.

Tuner in Training
    The write entire worked, I have a working throttle body now. Thanks for the help, I can take it from here.