Thread: Tuning School ?

Potential Tuner

Tuning School ?

The Tuning School Tuning the Right Way Manual and CD??? has any one bought this kit an used it ? if so is it worth the money?

Tuner in Training
    I have the beginner course. As a beginner i find it very helpful. It provides a step by step process and explains what you need to do any why you need to do it based upon what what modifications you have made. Its worth it if you do not have access to people or a expert tuning service near you.

I say save your money. I went to the class 3 years ago. It was ok. They teach you how to use the program more than they teach you to tune. First day was how to use the program and a few tricks. Second day as a class we put cars up on the dyno and tuned them. Very little one on one training.
    As for the manuals, I think they are outdated. Their are many ways to tune. They teach you one way.
    I look back and think what a waste of money. I should have found a local tuning shop and paid an actual tuning professional the $850 to train me for one on one tuning of MY car.
    I think that would be the best route. Find a local tuning shop with a great reputation, ask if they would be willing to teach you how to accurately tune your car using your software. Some will some won't. Don't waste your money on the seminar or the manual and cd.

Tuner

Goals?

I have been to the Tuning School and would not discount any source of information for learning how to tune. Obviously though it depends on your tuning goals. Learning how to tune can be a very steep learning curve. It requires real understanding of four different areas.

1. a working knowledge of laptop computing
    2. a good understanding of your cars PCM/ECM and what tables have what affect on the engine/tranmission, etc.
    3. a good understanding of how your tuning software works; scanning, altering tunes, creating histograms, etc.
    4. and lastly a good understanding of tuning dynamics; the various effects of timing, fuel, air etc. changes and which will have what affect on the result.

How much and what kind of training you need will depend on your knowledge of the above. Will an afternoon at a local dyno shop do it?

Quote Originally Posted by jim2092 View Post
    Will an afternoon at a local dyno shop do it?
    If the shop is reputable with a knowledgeable tuner, damn straight it will. Plus you develop a relationship with the shop and the tuner. A win-win.

I went to the school last year for the advanced class. I would say you can get all the information you need here in the forums, plenty of start up guides available that get you in the right direction.

I really like Ian as he is always helpful and Bob is a nice guy but very busy.

Ian is your support but sometimes you will have trouble getting a hold of them. You will get a much quicker response from this forum.

There were quite a few mistakes in both books (I bought the basic and advanced books taking the advanced class). I contacted Bob about the errors in email but didn't get a response from them about an updated version that included the right material.

Ian will get you through those issues but they are very busy once you have completed the class.

The unfortunate part about a group class is that if it is not organized well you will get 1 person doing all the tuning and others just standing around watching getting no real time on the dyno.

Great group of guys and they have decent tuning methods but I would recommend to save your money and practice on a car that works just fine.

When it comes time to do something more advanced (like nitrous and supercharged systems) the advanced guide is real handy. But as most guys have stated already in these forums its really just showing you how to use the software and changing values +/- 5-10% until it matches your hardware.

Don't take this as a negative on their course but realize that all the information you need is here in the forums.

Hope this helps!
    2020 Camaro ZL1 1LE - M6