Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jet Boat Tune, again.

Tuner
    What's wild is this motor came out of a Z vin Tahoe. Wonder what those injectors were doing on it. The Z vin is also what has the DBW, the T vin doesn't.

There's a couple of good tunes in there to start with, thanks for all the help man.

What tables and what not should I look at copying besides the VE table? The injector pulse stuff too?
    Last edited by blazeracer; 05-10-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Tuner
    A buddy of mine told be to check the fuel composition is disabled. Anyone know where that is? Maybe in DTC's?

Tuner
    Wow, got to look at a non flex fuel VE table. Significantly different.

Quote Originally Posted by blazeracer View Post
    Wow, got to look at a non flex fuel VE table. Significantly different.
    Insignificant difference, and the VE isn't used when the Maf is functioning. Note that the Maf tables are the same.

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    Insignificant difference, and the VE isn't used when the Maf is functioning. Note that the Maf tables are the same.

Russ Kemp
    The MAF table was about .05 higher across the board, but there were a lot of injector tables that were very different. I think I hit em all. We'll find out tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by blazeracer View Post
    The MAF table was about .05 higher across the board, but there were a lot of injector tables that were very different. I think I hit em all. We'll find out tomorrow.
    I know the injector tables are different, I was referring to the VE table, and your Maf table is the same as a 2002 5.3 Silverado none flex fuel tune that I have.

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    I'm gonna load this tune into it tomorrow and see what happens. If from a non flex fuel cammed 5.3 GMC Sierra with DBW. About 30 different fuel tables are changed on this one. It was also wideband tuned to a cam very close to mine.
    Last edited by blazeracer; 05-10-2012 at 10:59 PM.

That VE table won't help if your over 97.5 Kpa, as the values are lower at 100 Kpa than 95 Kpa. Not sure about the Maf, as it should be smoother in 2D view.

I wouldn't run that much WOT spark timing, I never go over 24* on the Gen III engines. And the spark map is very rough at the lower Rpm in 2D or 3D view.

Also set the entire Stoich table to 14.68 for gasoline. And disable the CAT over temp.

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    Better? Did the spark tables (I think), turned off CAT overtemp, reset the stoich and am working on the VE table. Not sure which of the MAF tables isn't smooth.

EDIT: Smoothed the MAF also.
    Last edited by blazeracer; 05-11-2012 at 08:45 AM.

Tuner
    DANG! Loaded that file and the throttle response is extremely crisp, idles sits smooth at 900. I won't get it on the water till after 4 probably. We got rain here today.

Tuner
    Same thing. Runs for a minute then goes to crap. Laptop went dead so I didn't get a scan. I'll go do that in the morning.

Tuner
    Looking through my DTC's, number P1635 is a 5 volt reference that is disabled. What does it go to on a 5.3? Found a thread on an 03 Trailblazer that had reduced power with P1635 going off. Found a Pontiac V6 thread where it's for TB, MAP, EGR and fuel tank pressure.

I might try turning this on and see what happens. On the 5.3 tune I'm emulating for this latest attempt that code turned on.
    Last edited by blazeracer; 05-11-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Tuner
    Ok, ran a scan. You're right Russ. When the MAP kPa reaches 100 or more it goes totally lean and the STFT can't keep up enough. I'm gonna play with the VE table tonight and see how it does on the water tomorrow.

Tuner
    Still runs like doo doo. After the initial start up condition stops operating it's going big time lean. The STFT's are pegged and showing numbers around 45 to 50%. The O2's are leaned out big time.

I may have to revisit an intake leak maybe? Although carb cleaner never made the rpm change. Plus, it runs really good on initial start up with whatever enrichment is going on there.

To revisit, I put both the MAP and the MAF on my pickup and it ran great. I can see the O2's working on the scan with the STFT's doing their thing meaning closed loop is trying to work, right? It doesn't seem anything done to the VE table makes a difference at all, just like Russ said. There just has to be something that needs to be clicked in the software to make this thing sing like it does for that first half a minute on initial start up.

How do I fatten up the fuel in MAF? It seems like the motor is asking for a lot with the STFT shooting for +50% and the O2's still lean. I know on carb'd jet boat motor, they love a lot carb with heavy jetting.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post a pick of your airfilter & Maf set up. I know that a lot of aftermarket cold air intakes cause positive fuel trims. The Maf has to be tuned for that reason.

You need to log Maf Hz in order for the fuel trim vs Maf Hz histogram to work, as you using the default scanner .cfg

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    Here's some pics of the intake with the filter and MAF. Not sure how to look at what you are talking about with the fuel trim vs MAF hz.

Advanced Tuner
    You need more distance between the maf and the filter.

Tuner
    Added MAF Hz to the config but when I open it up it says "unsupported parameter" in the table display.

EDIT: Figured it out. That's pretty cool. It's added to the histogram, the chart display and since a boat has no speedo, the TPS is now where the speedo gauge used to be and the MAF Hz is where the TPS was. Now I have to run a new scan under this config, correct?
    Last edited by blazeracer; 05-14-2012 at 07:00 PM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HoP View Post
    You need more distance between the maf and the filter.
    I'm pretty limited on space. How much distance should there be? If just a couple of inches will work I can figure something out.

Tuner
    Specifically, to create a MAF frequency histogram, I set the plot value for Mass Air Flow Freq and leave the Row & Col Axis on Primary VE vs. RPM vs. MAP or change it to MAF Airflow vs. Output Frequency? OR, do I make TWO histogram tables and do both?
    Last edited by blazeracer; 05-14-2012 at 09:06 PM.