Thread: Changing to a Jeep VIN on GM Computer

Changing to a Jeep VIN on GM Computer

Hey I'm in the middle of performing a 2006 5.3 Vortec and 4l60E tranmission swamp into a customers 2003 Jeep TJ Rubicon. I'm using the factory GM computer and wiring harness that came out of the 1500 truck the engine and trans came out of. I have been using the HPTuners software to get the motor fired up and happy in the chasis and it is running great. The only issue I have left is our county's emissions is going to want to see the Jeep VIN on the computer on scan. I have read that the software gets un happy with an incorrect VIN. I assume that the Jeep VIN will be seen as incorrect since it is not even a GM VIN. Any guidance would be appriciated. Thanks.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Correct, you cannot pair a GM operating system with a ford or dodge vin(or any vin other than a compatible one with that operating system for that matter).
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Bill is correct. I find it funny that they are fine with putting a completely different manufacturer's engine into the vehicle but draw the line at the VIN which has absolutely nothing to do with emmisions.
    I count sheep in hex...

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    Bill is correct. I find it funny that they are fine with putting a completely different manufacturer's engine into the vehicle but draw the line at the VIN which has absolutely nothing to do with emmisions.
    More and more are going this way though unfortunately.

Think it is not a case of "they" are fine with it, it is more of a case of just making it as "simple" as possible for the testers and the ones running program.

A tester does not need to know a thing about a vehicle, plug in unit, pass or fail, thats it.

This is now being realized more and more in Canada as well.

The new system in Ontario will just be;
    plugging in tester,
    check for correct Vin
    All tests run
    All test Passed.

This is why I did not use HPT to tune my Cavalier,
    I have a 3500 running an LA1 Imp Pcm but with my original Vin for car.

Prob need a whole rewrite, but licencing off Osid and VCMID and giving the option to put what ever Vin the user wanted would be a HUGE help.

Not sure if many other Manuf.s have this option, if not it would be a great Advantage for HPT IMHO.

The county and state have no issue with the motor swap as long as the motor comes out of a simular class vehicle. The Jeep is classified as a light duty truck/suv and the motor/computer is from a 1500 truck which falls into the same catagory. But for the guys at the test center, they do not know the rules or really care it is not their job. As long as the computer says it is the same VIN and it passes all the self checks they are fine with it on their end.
    Jeremy Bryant
    Devaint Designs and Fabrication, LLC

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Unfortunately for us its a double edged sword, if we were to add the ability to change vin's to one that was never a valid one for an operating system it would break our year/model licensing as well as our unlimited vehicle group licensing so unfortunately we won't be able to accommodate this.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"