Thread: Why is my car knocking at randomly rpms?

Potential Tuner

Why is my car knocking at randomly rpms?

Well guys, I logged my car numerous times today and found out that I have knock. The knock isn't consistent, it appears at random rpms and random gears. Sometimes it will show up in 2nd and 4th and sometimes it won't show up at all in both gears. But its pretty consistent in 3rd gear. When it shows up in 3rd, the rpms it shows up in isn't consistent. I'm starting to think my exhaust could be too loud because i have dual cutouts on my ory or my y pipe is hitting the floor board. what do you guys think? check out my logs and let me know what you think

thanks, Toua

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by pahlai View Post
    Well guys, I logged my car numerous times today and found out that I have knock. The knock isn't consistent, it appears at random rpms and random gears. Sometimes it will show up in 2nd and 4th and sometimes it won't show up at all in both gears. But its pretty consistent in 3rd gear. When it shows up in 3rd, the rpms it shows up in isn't consistent. I'm starting to think my exhaust could be too loud because i have dual cutouts on my ory or my y pipe is hitting the floor board. what do you guys think? check out my logs and let me know what you think

thanks, Toua
    Yes i think it's false knock. Make some adjustments to your knock sensitivty table. Raise the number up.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx203 View Post
    Yes i think it's false knock. Make some adjustments to your knock sensitivty table. Raise the number up.
    ok thanks for the reply but i'm a newby with hp tuners so i don't exactly know how to do that... lol can some one elaborate, please?

Tuner in Training
    spark/knock sensors/knock sensor level

then initial level and min level. Do a % change. Example (x 1.30) for 30%. higher number, less sensitive..

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by evotune5 View Post

then initial level and min level. Do a % change. Example (x 1.30) for 30%. higher number, less sensitive..
    thanks, any other suggestions?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx203 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by evotune5 View Post

Under "knock sensor tip in" I see a min tps, is that where I raise the number to decrease sensitivity? I don't see a initial level, I'm assuming it's the same as the min tps?

Potential Tuner
    Bump for answer

Potential Tuner
    To the top

Not knowing if you have dialed in your VE table and MAF (if you are using one) first before adjusting timing, I will assume you did.

Looking at the data in your scans shows knock at the higher RPMS, and then looking at the timing histograms the timing is pretty high. I'm guessing the timing tables are stock (which tend to be a bit on the high side anyway).

Since your knock retard is only a few degrees at most and occurring in about the same cells, if it were my car, I would copy the knock retard data and then subtract it from my timing table. Then I would rescan under the same conditions and review the results to see if the knock is still there or not. I would also try to do a scan with more data (try to populate as many cells as possible) to ascertain if knock is showing up anywhere else.