Thread: Has anyone tuned a LNF for Nitrous?

Has anyone tuned a LNF for Nitrous?

Im just curious if anyone has ever tuned a LNF for nitrous?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    i think silver might have done it....iirc the ones that have tried found the cars very tempermental?
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Nitrous is a standalone do not need a tune

yea well thats not true for the LNF sorry bud......the lnf runs specific afr for nitrous app and getting a jet close will help but tuning on top of it makes it reliable. nitrous is standalone for carburetor apps where you jet it and go.

Ive ran many different size shots injecting it before and after the turbo wet and dry. My favorite way of running it on the stock turbo was straight into the filter before the turbo. It was actually almost a self tuned set up that way but still needed tweaking up top. Doing a wet shot right before the throttle body did require quite a bit of tuning and was not very consistant since you had to adjust boost and make fueling adjustments for the time that it hit. I only used it when I needed it so sometimes I would spray it at the top of second, or lower 3rd gear "say 4000rpms" or higher third after I cought traction at say 5500 rpms. This made it hard to get correct fueling on a wet shot since the rpms always varied.
    My final set up had a micro wot switch under the pedal with a manuel on/off switch on the console running a dry 75 shot into the tip of the spectra filter "the one with the inverted cone tip" I had a suck through MAF at this time with a air straightener just before it on E47. Running it this way allowed the maf to make any instant corrections that it needed so by the time it went through the turbo, charge pipes, intercooler, and hit the motor the fuel was there. This set up is actually like bolting on a bigger turbo in a way or like running the car in negative ambient tempatures so only minor timing changes had to be done on 93octane, I ran the same timing table in my nitrous tune that I ran on just E47. Your just allowing the intake wheel to compress a lot more air than it normally would since the air is so dense. Most people will argue this saying that your overspooling the turbo yada yada but if you tune it correctly you wont. The cool thing was the higher the shot you sprayed the higher boost spike you would get which allowed you to open the wastegate up top some where it was at 100%DC. Running your wastegate at 100% up top is fine if your trying to get every little bit of boost out as possible but it restricts the airflow. Opening up the wastegate not only kept the turbo from overspooling but opens up some more airflow up top. Boost air temps typically wouldnt drop from a 75 shot but they wouldnt rise either during a whole 3rd gear pull on my iat2 sensor. I ran around 10 full 12lb bottles through my car on the stock motor and it still runs great with equal 155-160psi compression on each cylinder at 60k miles. Only reason I dont spray it any more is because I bought a bigger turbo. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Last edited by silverbullet08; 09-17-2012 at 10:49 PM.
    HP-Unlimited Tuning and Custom Fabrication
    Houston area performance parts dealer
    MD800 Mustang Dyno 713-560-3889 Taylor
    2016 Camaro A8 "shop car" FIRST 6th GEN CAMARO OVER 200mph IN THE MILE 203.5mph

Quote Originally Posted by 1100250747 View Post
    Nitrous is a standalone do not need a tune
    IMO I would NEVER bolt on a nitrous kit and not worry about the tune. You may get away with it on some vehicles depending on thier ECU, but these cars are a different story. The LNFs are very touchy with thier fueling. My car was dialed to a T when I would spray nitrous. If the fuel trims get too far out of check or you get a high Airload spike you no longer have anything adjusting fuel instantly. So think about what happens when your spraying a large shot into this motor with say a mild tune allowing for higher boost. Your load will increase dramatically if you dont spin and will bring you close to the cap where your trims go static 0, depending on the size of the shot and how close the fuel trims are before the shot "only +-29% can be changed" you will have correction for fuel error until you exceed this 29% then your computer removes all fuel corrections until your AFR comes back into around a 15% range. So you will run leaner and leaner though the pull until you let out. If your not datalogging the car and cant adjust for it in the tune you will have a melted piston in no time.
    HP-Unlimited Tuning and Custom Fabrication
    Houston area performance parts dealer
    MD800 Mustang Dyno 713-560-3889 Taylor
    2016 Camaro A8 "shop car" FIRST 6th GEN CAMARO OVER 200mph IN THE MILE 203.5mph

Nitroooooooooo

If I ever build my engine, im gonna get a 50 shot, just in case im gonna lose a race lol. The problem is where do you mount the bottle. I don't want any cops to see it.

You can bolt the bottle anywhere's depending on the size. Mine is in the trunk I got a 2.2 eco tech cavalier with 75 shot. No tuning needed besides adjusting the fuel jet depending on your fuel pressure. On carb. does require timing change

lnf- require change everything LOL

I got my jeep to run a 13.9 1/4th mile on a 150 shot lol. Im sure i could tune my car for nitrous but, its kinda a hassle filling the bottle and then taking it out of the car if its too hot outside and lots of other bs that goes with nitrous

Potential Tuner

what size jet were u using?

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet08 View Post
    Ive ran many different size shots injecting it before and after the turbo wet and dry. My favorite way of running it on the stock turbo was straight into the filter before the turbo. It was actually almost a self tuned set up that way but still needed tweaking up top. Doing a wet shot right before the throttle body did require quite a bit of tuning and was not very consistant since you had to adjust boost and make fueling adjustments for the time that it hit. I only used it when I needed it so sometimes I would spray it at the top of second, or lower 3rd gear "say 4000rpms" or higher third after I cought traction at say 5500 rpms. This made it hard to get correct fueling on a wet shot since the rpms always varied.
    My final set up had a micro wot switch under the pedal with a manuel on/off switch on the console running a dry 75 shot into the tip of the spectra filter "the one with the inverted cone tip" I had a suck through MAF at this time with a air straightener just before it on E47. Running it this way allowed the maf to make any instant corrections that it needed so by the time it went through the turbo, charge pipes, intercooler, and hit the motor the fuel was there. This set up is actually like bolting on a bigger turbo in a way or like running the car in negative ambient tempatures so only minor timing changes had to be done on 93octane, I ran the same timing table in my nitrous tune that I ran on just E47. Your just allowing the intake wheel to compress a lot more air than it normally would since the air is so dense. Most people will argue this saying that your overspooling the turbo yada yada but if you tune it correctly you wont. The cool thing was the higher the shot you sprayed the higher boost spike you would get which allowed you to open the wastegate up top some where it was at 100%DC. Running your wastegate at 100% up top is fine if your trying to get every little bit of boost out as possible but it restricts the airflow. Opening up the wastegate not only kept the turbo from overspooling but opens up some more airflow up top. Boost air temps typically wouldnt drop from a 75 shot but they wouldnt rise either during a whole 3rd gear pull on my iat2 sensor. I ran around 10 full 12lb bottles through my car on the stock motor and it still runs great with equal 155-160psi compression on each cylinder at 60k miles. Only reason I dont spray it any more is because I bought a bigger turbo. Let me know if you have any questions.

what size jet were you using while using the nozzle in the box? if you ever did 50 or 100 ?