Thread: 3800 Series II Supercharged in Fiero - HELP Tune

Tuner in Training

3800 Series II Supercharged in Fiero - HELP Tune

Hi all:

I've got an 2003 Grand Prix SC engine in an 88 Fiero with a 2003 4T65E (GP GT tranny) with a 2003 PCM. Unfortunately, I had someone else tune it before deciding to buy my own HP tuner package. So now we are stuck trying to figure out what exactly we should and should not change or work with. Engine mods include Diamondco Pistons, Stage II Intense Blower X Cam, Heads ported, blower ported, 3.4 pulley, Northstar throttle body with a SLP MAF sensor from Intense. Headers with a 3 inch exhaust as well and a delphi fuel pump DLP FE0113.

Tranny has Thrasher Accumulator shift kit.

Tires are 245/45 18.

Just to help get me started, please look at the config file and let me know any thoughts on what I should do or change....or if I should just start over with a factory tune from someone.

Also, as a side note, my boost control solenoid keeps changing from off to on in the PCM side when the car is idling in park. Basically goes from 99 to 0 on the scanner constantly. I have switched out the boost control solenoid and the vacuum diaphram and it still reads it so I'm thinking it's in the PCM.

Thank you!

Tuner in Training
    Anyone? I would really like some input on this. Please!

Senior Tuner
    EGR to max value for tuning, put it back after if you want. Compare it to a stock file. I think you'll find that it has been changed to a value that is too low in yours.
    I am not familiar with your cam, but does it idle smoothly aiming for those RPM values? If not, raise those up a bit till it smooths out.
    On start up, is it pig-rich? Those values seem very high to me and you should be able to lower the start up AFR values quite a bit. *Lowering will lean start up in that table
    That car has to flow a lot of air. That said, I would also raise the delta airflows in it, a lot!... lol
    What injectors are you using in this thing?
    I'd like to see a scan of it, your timing seems way low there even with your build. Also, set both High and Low spark tables to the same value to tune it, then take 3-4* from your entire Low spark table when you are done.
    In torque management, don't just max the tables, set them to a value that closely represents the actual torque the car is handling. Use the delivered trans torque function in your scanner, it is very accurate and then it will actually do what it is intended to do, deal with a spike properly!
    In abuse, the tables have been dissabled through tps and speed, but I like to hit all values in there to ensure it never kicks in... just a thought
    Closed loop enable in yours is set to 76*, I lower that to 56*
    In your power enrichment tables, enrichment vs. rpm and tps, 0 those out. That is going to have your head going through loops as to why it will not deliver what you are telling it too!
    I max out the cat overtemp protection as well. I dont want it messing with me at all, but that is your call if you want to or not.
    Looks like you guys are taking out all torque management. If so you will also want to set all values in torque management, general, spark retard vs torque reduction to 0. That is the table that actually removes torque management from your tune
    Now for a couple of trans things... Shift tables actually look good, they have matched the shift tables and I would go with whats there for now
    Is it slow to shift though? Looks like it would be man
    I would cut those shift times in at least half, if not a bit more than half. The pressure table is seriously low as well to me. Here's a noce easy way to set that pressure table up. 0 it out, then place a value of 0 in the first column down the left side, then a value of 60 down the right side. Interpolate selection. You'll see your 0 value on the right and a progressive increase through the table to 60 on the right. Highlight and copy the values. Then undo changes so your origional table is there. Highlight it, then paste special add. The interpolated table you made should now be added to the table you had, give that a try and see how it feels!
    TCC Duty cycle, set your max value to 100 and your min value to 50 or 55. Then raise the apply and release speeds a little in there so the car doesn't feel like it's got an extra gear. You'll know what I mean if you dont...lol This is where you can pick up a couple miles per galon if done right... wink, wink...
    Thats wht I got in a quick skim over your tune man. Ill try and help as you go even if you like. Im on vacation this week so I'll probably be popping in here and there and Ill look out for your posts if you get into it
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner in Training
    Thanks a ton. The EGR has been removed completely, does that make a difference? Also, the injectors are currently stock, I believe they are 34 or 36 Pounds.

I'm going to be reviewing your information over the next week and will let you know if I have any other questions, etc. I'm completely new to tuning so it may take me a while to catch on. Thanks again!

Senior Tuner
    You have 36lb then I believe. EGR removed is good then so there is no way the signal is crossed.
    Go through the little write up there line by line. Once you have all of that done, get a good 25 min log and post it up with along your tune. Toss the config you are using up as well so we can go over it to make sure it's set up right.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
    On start up, is it pig-rich? Those values seem very high to me and you should be able to lower the start up AFR values quite a bit. *Lowering will lean start up in that table

That car has to flow a lot of air. That said, I would also raise the delta airflows in it, a lot!... lol
    What do you think I should lower my start up values to at the beginning?

And how much do you think I should raise the delta airflows in it?

I have changed the shift tables and raised the idle so far with decent results. Once I get the AFR start up changed and the delta changed I will log it and post for you. Thanks!

Senior Tuner
    Really, to set up your start up, you'll want the WB on it. Have it fire up around 13-13.4 or so to 1 and it will be good. Cut the countdown timer in half as well. The 38's heat up quick and no need to flood it with fuel at start up. Just be careful not to go too lean, hence the WB should be used for this. Ive seen a lot of guys just max that table out. Thats what I did with mine, again your call. If the the car is not studdering on accel then just leave it alone, but I think you should raise it because of the flow you have now.
    Ill keep an eye for your log there bud...
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner in Training
    Does anyone have a good basic config file for the 3800 SC with automatic trans that I can start out with to get a decent log?

Also, have an electric autometer fuel pump gauge. With key on/engine off pressure is 42 lbs. Engine running is about 40 pounds. When I mash the gas it spikes to about 50 and slowly drops to around 38-40. Pump is a delphi fuel pump DLP FE0113.

Senior Tuner
    Repository from Customer Page, try to search there?
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner in Training
    i have a 2 codes poping up p0480 , and p0481 I have a 3800 sc in a fiero i am use the pcm low speed comand only high speed is not used so i think i can turn it to no error reported any thoughts would help thanks brett

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by fiero88pro View Post
    i have a 2 codes poping up p0480 , and p0481 I have a 3800 sc in a fiero i am use the pcm low speed comand only high speed is not used so i think i can turn it to no error reported any thoughts would help thanks brett
    you can disable those codes in the engine diagnostics tab then click dtc's and uncheck the ses enable box and change the next box to 3 "no error reported"

those codes are cooling fan relay 1 and relay 2 control circuit

Since the engine is in a fiero i'm guessing you have an aftermarket fan setup to cool the engine down? since those are what the codes are for is the pcm commanded the fans on and go no response so it shut them off and set the ses light

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for providing information on 3800 Series II Supercharged in Fiero as I am also looking for the 3800 series 2 engine. I am interested to know the different parts of such engine with its complete description.

3800 series 2 engine

Tuner in Training
    i am getting a lean code bank 1 i had intence tune my pcm a while back i have a 3800sc auto with a northstar throttle body intence tuned as if had a ls1 tb on it they said it would be close enuf Is my mass air off that is what is causing my lean code i have a hp tunner so i can change it does any one have any ideas
    i have a friend who had there car tuned for the north star tb theres seems to be fine no lean code i have his tune stored should i copy his mass air chart and put into mine if so please tell me the step to do that to make sure i dont leave some thing out
    is there any one in iowa who can help me with this i want to change shift points my car shifts slow
    thanks brett