Thread: stalling caused by wideband...

Potential Tuner

stalling caused by wideband...

im having an issue running my wide band through the egr when doing a ve tune. basically, the wide band is wired up through the egr position signal wire. the engine stalls immediately if the wide band is on. if i switch of the wide band the engine runs great.

note:maf is unplugged during ve tune, if i plug it in and leave the wide band on it will run fine as well. so stalling only occurs with maf unplugged and wide band on.

also if i hold the gas pedal down (2% throttle) to keep the engine from stalling, it runs poorly and i can watch fuel trims climb to positive 26% or more. wide band reads 16-18. again is i switch off the wide band everything goes back to normal and idles/runs fine...

anybody encounter this before?

btw this is an 03 grand am 3400
    Last edited by KrazyGT-03; 04-16-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Senior Tuner
    You are unpluging the the connector at the EGR when you do this right? So the only signal the PCM gets is from the WB
    Whats the mod list?
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Potential Tuner
    no its not plugged in, egr has been deleted. only other mods are cold air, and cat-back exhaust with no cat at the moment and the wide band. other electrical mods are an alarm and push button start but neither interfere with the egr wiring. sucks because it works fine and i can log the wide band as long as the maf is plugged in. unplg the maf and the car stalls, unplug the maf and the wide band and the car runs great.

Senior Tuner
    Whats your % error hitting just before it stalls, when you unplug the MAF? Try to adjust your VE table in that direction down low to get it to run.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Potential Tuner
    dont think thats it. ve table is already tuned, its runs perfect on the ve table. only time it stalls is when i power up the wide band while its connected to the egr. unplug wide band from egr and the car runs fine.

basically it seem like the engine stalls anytime the pcm sees voltage at the egr pintle position wire but only stalls if the if the maf is unplugged. i can log the wide band through the egr if the maf is plugged in with out any problems. so again engine runs good on the ve table with the maf unplugged but will stall as soon as the wide band starts to feed its signal through the egr. if i plug the maf in, engine runs fine and i can log the wide band through the egr or i can go about it the opposite way, i can disconnect the wide band from the egr and leave it powered on and the engine runs fine. so problem happens when pcm see voltage at the egr and the maf unplugged.

maybe the pcm sees this as the egr valve open (even though the valve isnt there) and changes the fueling. egr operation is disabled on the tune by setting operating temp to max. does this need to be different? dtc's are disabled as well, not sure if that will affect this or not. just throwing out some ideas.

Senior Tuner
    Check your DTC's and set them to no error reported for EGR PO's, that might be it
    Last edited by MMGT1; 04-29-2012 at 09:26 AM.
    2000 Trans Am WS6