Thread: Anyone Using A Gold Blade 09 And Up 90mm GM TB On A C5 Vette?

Anyone Using A Gold Blade 09 And Up 90mm GM TB On A C5 Vette?

Like the title says, looking to see if anyone is using a 2009 and up 90mm GM TB with the gold blade. I have tuned several with the 2008 and older silver blade 90mm TB's and had no issues.

I have been fighting this car for a while on and off (car is in FL) and the owner built it based on others suggestions. It is a 2004 C5 with an auto trans, 3200 converter, G5X3, FAST 102 intake, resized injectors and a Vararam.

The car previously had a TPIS modified LS6 intake and TPIS 90mm TB and ran great according to the owner and this was before the cam swap. I just had "my son" at another FL shop doing some diagnostics and we went back to the TPIS LS6 intake & TB as well as stock injectors and with a base tune it ran great.

I wanted to swap the FAST 102 back on and keep the TPIS TB but the bolt pattern was different, so we kept the GM 90mm unit as well as swapped in a set of 36-38lb GM white injectors. Will not start and stay running. Added a ton (doubled) of base airflow and will barely catch and then run, but will stall easily.

I made all of the typical changes for the older 90mm TB I usually do and it just seem to be WAY off. Now I have never seen this car apart and trusted the owner/builder to give me proper info, so I never saw the color of the blade to even make me challenge this.

So I am hunting a silver blade TB locally in FL to test, but I was wondering if anyone had used the newer gold blade TB on a C5 with success. If so, were there any specific TB setting changes?

Thanks All.

Mike Norris
    Mike Norris Motorsports
    660 Andico Road
    Unit D
    Plainfield, IN 46168
    407-616-2518
    www.mikenorrismotorsports.com
    [email protected]

The 2004 Corvette will use a 1 Mb P59 PCM. These PCMs can control the 2005-2008 Corvette TB with the silver blade (sometimes referred to as an LS2 TB) - typical scenario is an LS2 (with 24x CKP) retro fit.

I don't believe the 2009+ TB with the brass blade will work with your 2004 Corvette PCM.

The 2005-2008 Corvette TB is GM part # 12570790, or ACDelco part # 217-1617. These are somewhat expensive from GM, but a little more reasonable from ACDelco.

it works! I've done it.

Thanks for the info Shrek and I have used and tuned a bunch of the 05-08 units on C5's for sure.

Yellz06, would you care to share your file so I can see what you did differently? You can e-mail it to [email protected] if you prefer.

Mike Norris
    Mike Norris Motorsports
    660 Andico Road
    Unit D
    Plainfield, IN 46168
    407-616-2518
    [email protected]

Come to find out the issue was with the "professionally" ported FAST 102 intake.

Mike Norris
    Mike Norris Motorsports
    660 Andico Road
    Unit D
    Plainfield, IN 46168
    407-616-2518
    [email protected]