Thread: Do I need to pull timing?

Do I need to pull timing?

Please have a look at my log and tell me if I need to pull timing or not. I am just getting my tune dialed in and am noticing a slight KR. The histogram only shows 1's showing up in a few cells. When I look at the chart display where it is pulling timing (frames 2986 through 3012) KR stays under 2 but I see total timing drop as much as 4 degrees. Does that have to deal with burst KR? Do I need to back some timing out? If so just 1 degree where it shows up in the hystogram?

If anyone has any overall opinions or advice on the tune I am willing to listen to that too. This is my first time tuning. 06 GTO single T70 turbo at 6psi. Still in open loop (no O2's active) mode and VE tuning.

Thanks!
    Last edited by mefreema; 04-12-2012 at 02:19 PM.
    2006 GTO M6 T76 Turbo Intercooled

That's a chin scratcher. Try disabling the BKR totally, then checking. Couldn't hurt anything.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

if may i ask
    what does the BKR stand for ?

specialize in: V8 Tuning (Kuwait)
    Abdullah Al-najdi
    00965 99369929
    www.youtube.com/alnajdi83
    Tuners ! Quit Raping your PE TABLE !
    instagram : alnajdi83
    best number in 1/8 mile 4.54 ( My Driving + My Tune ) !

boost knock retard and from what I have read is this....

Burst knock is anticipated knock retard. Burst knock is just a system to pull timing during a large transition of air movement/sudden change in acceleration.

So I am seeing 1 to 1.5 degrees of actual knock retard and the burst knock is anticipating the condition to get worse so it as a couple more degrees. I am still learing this stuff so I was thinking that is what was going on.

Senior Tuner
    At frame 2983 I see an 11.88 AFR on your WB just before KR occurs. Seems a little lean for a turbo motor.

Quote Originally Posted by 8850 View Post
    At frame 2983 I see an 11.88 AFR on your WB just before KR occurs. Seems a little lean for a turbo motor.
    I am still trying to get the boost VE nailed down. I am commanding 11.75 AFR i think. Maybe I should lower it to 11.5 and keep working VE to get as close as I can to that. I still see it doing it later though with a much lower afr like high 10's.

I am looking over my log from my drive home where I tweaked my tune a litte and do not see any KR in that log. Funny thing is that log was leaner in the boost regions. I looks like it should be able to be tuned out. I will keep playing with it.

^^^Burst Knock Retard. Knock prediction is all it is.

The 11.8 AFR is nothing to be concerned about with low boost.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap