Thread: 6L80E Aftermarket Converter Slip... Tell me I'm not Crazy

Tuner in Training

6L80E Aftermarket Converter Slip... Tell me I'm not Crazy

First off, I have some logs but I can tell you whats happening. It is a FTI 2800 stall in a 08 G8 GT.

I stuck a solenoid up in my TCM. I replaced the module and when I was in there there was some black material in the oil and on the mag. I flushed everything and reflashed the TCM and trans worked great.

I started logging it and notice the trans was slipping with the converter locked. You could tell it was locking slip rpms went from around ~1100 rpm to 100 rpm. I went back and looked at the shops tune and the TCC apply rates, offset and slip tables were stock.

I changed the apply rates, the slip tables and offset. I then went out and relogged the car would slam the converter on (not what I want but trying things out.) Slip would go to 0 but around 40% throttle slip comes back 100 rpm's or so and the trans learns and applies max pressure 109.9 psi. Slip backs down but under anymore throttle it jumps up to 400 rpms.

I believe its the converter clutch due to the incorrect tune in the aftermarket converter but has anyone seen similair issues??

To be clear, I am running a stock trans tune with a 460 whp car. I have changed shift points and pressures a little bit but I have not changed torque management. I have upped the torque capability "" to allow the trans to do its thing but I am here for longevity of the unit not firm shifts.

Does the slip happen upon movement of the accerator pedal? Then level out? if so, take a look at my thread:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37626
    2017 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
    Forged 6.2L Flex Fuel Tuned
    Twin Turbo 13 PSI
    8L90E Transmission
    3.23 Gears

Yes, it runs on E85 too and LOVES it! ;D

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by radcannon View Post
    First off, I have some logs but I can tell you whats happening. It is a FTI 2800 stall in a 08 G8 GT.

I stuck a solenoid up in my TCM. I replaced the module and when I was in there there was some black material in the oil and on the mag. I flushed everything and reflashed the TCM and trans worked great.

I started logging it and notice the trans was slipping with the converter locked. You could tell it was locking slip rpms went from around ~1100 rpm to 100 rpm. I went back and looked at the shops tune and the TCC apply rates, offset and slip tables were stock.

I changed the apply rates, the slip tables and offset. I then went out and relogged the car would slam the converter on (not what I want but trying things out.) Slip would go to 0 but around 40% throttle slip comes back 100 rpm's or so and the trans learns and applies max pressure 109.9 psi. Slip backs down but under anymore throttle it jumps up to 400 rpms.

I believe its the converter clutch due to the incorrect tune in the aftermarket converter but has anyone seen similair issues??

To be clear, I am running a stock trans tune with a 460 whp car. I have changed shift points and pressures a little bit but I have not changed torque management. I have upped the torque capability "" to allow the trans to do its thing but I am here for longevity of the unit not firm shifts.
    Not enough clutch material/burnt material...If your logging slip with the TCC line pressure reading 109.9, nothing will help. The TCM is doing everything it can to fully lock. I'm guessing its a 245 or 258 single disk?
    11.49 @ 118 1.49 60' Bolt on 2010 IOM Camaro

www.6l80etuning.com 6L80/90 Tuning

Tuner in Training
    Not sure its a single disk though. I'm sending it back and having them rebuild it. Im worried though that it will do the same thing. They say they have it in cars double my power without problems..... so I'm hoping with the adjustements its fixed.

Tuner in Training
    how did you change your solenoid?

Tuner in Training
    You have to change the full solenoid pack you cannot change a single solenoid. The solenoids and TCM is one unit that sits on the bottom of the valvebody under the pan.