Thread: Cable to Drive by Wire (DBW) Conversion...

Cable to Drive by Wire (DBW) Conversion...

I've done some searches and can find some generic information on going from DBW to cable, but not the other way around...

If I want to convert a 2001 LS1 F-body swap to DBW what would I need to buy for HPT vehicle credits? Do I just buy credits to cover the 2001 F-body and would that allow me to program a 2001 Vette OS onto the F-body PCM, or do I need a 2001 Vette vehicle license as well? Or, can I just get a 2001 Vette vehicle license and directly get the OS changed from F-body to Vette?

Also, to go one step further, assuming I already have credits to cover the full year of 1998 Vettes, is there any way I can use that to my advantage on a 2001 F-body PCM? i.e. could I directly program the '01 F-body PCM to a '98 OS? This may open a can of worms with PCM year incompatibilities and harness wiring too, I assume - any input appreciated on all aspects of going DBW from cable.

Thanks in advance

Advanced Tuner
    You need to license the pcm and the file you want to use. 98 pcms are totaly different and you can not write them to 99+ pcms.
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

Quote Originally Posted by Backside180 View Post
    I've done some searches and can find some generic information on going from DBW to cable, but not the other way around...

If I want to convert a 2001 LS1 F-body swap to DBW what would I need to buy for HPT vehicle credits? Do I just buy credits to cover the 2001 F-body and would that allow me to program a 2001 Vette OS onto the F-body PCM, or do I need a 2001 Vette vehicle license as well? Or, can I just get a 2001 Vette vehicle license and directly get the OS changed from F-body to Vette?

Also, to go one step further, assuming I already have credits to cover the full year of 1998 Vettes, is there any way I can use that to my advantage on a 2001 F-body PCM? i.e. could I directly program the '01 F-body PCM to a '98 OS? This may open a can of worms with PCM year incompatibilities and harness wiring too, I assume - any input appreciated on all aspects of going DBW from cable.

Thanks in advance
    The 2001 F-Body and Vettes have the same OS

Quote Originally Posted by CalEditor@pcmcalibrators View Post
    The 2001 F-Body and Vettes have the same OS
    Flame says I need to license the file and PCM.
    CalEditor says they have the same OS.

If they are the same OS does that mean I can just modify the 2001 F-body file to turn on the ETC? Please elaborate.

Thanks

The 2001 OS = 12202088 or 12208322. The 12202088 will be found most of the time on the cars and the 12208322 will be found most of the time on Truck, but you will find 12208322 on some Vettes and the 12202088 on a few trucks and or 5.7L Vans

12202088 is the one you should have. You need a OE calibration from a Vette and tune that calibration and perform a write entire.

Quote Originally Posted by CalEditor@pcmcalibrators View Post
    The 2001 OS = 12202088 or 12208322. The 12202088 will be found most of the time on the cars and the 12208322 will be found most of the time on Truck, but you will find 12208322 on some Vettes and the 12202088 on a few trucks and or 5.7L Vans

12202088 is the one you should have. You need a OE calibration from a Vette and tune that calibration and perform a write entire.
    OK, so then just to clarify... (Lets assume we are dealing with only the 12202088 OS):
    Basically there is no on/off switch or table for the ETC to enable/disable it. The ETC is enabled/disabled "deeper" in the OS, which is why you would have to write with the Vette OS, even if both of the OSs are 12202088. Correct?

This would also explain why when I do a compare on a 2001 Vette vs. F-body tune it only gives me a few table differences for the ETC, but no clear on/off. Correct?

Advanced Tuner
    There are many tables that we do not see or have access to. That is why you must perform a write entire and work from that.

Quote Originally Posted by flame View Post
    There are many tables that we do not see or have access to. That is why you must perform a write entire and work from that.
    OK. Thanks for the help and clarification on this, guys.

Semi-related, but you guys might know...
    When taking a F-body car PCM, wire harness, and engine, and converting to DBW, what is the extent of rewiring necessary? Are the harnesses completely different (I assume not if OS and PCMs are the same), is there additional wires that must be run to the PCM plugs (necessitated by the DBW), or is it fairly simple in that there are unused breakouts/wires in the harness that you mate up to? (I'm trying to understand if I would need both wire harness schematics or if I could just get the 2001 Vette schematics and modify the F-body harness appropriately for the DBW circuits)

Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    You will have to rewire to the TAC module. The dbc will have 7 wires 4 IAC and 3 TPS. You will need 6 TPS and 2 TB motor. The TAC module will have to be wired to the pcm as well. Grab both diagrams and start wiring! The main question is why do you want do this?

Quote Originally Posted by flame View Post
    You will have to rewire to the TAC module. The dbc will have 7 wires 4 IAC and 3 TPS. You will need 6 TPS and 2 TB motor. The TAC module will have to be wired to the pcm as well. Grab both diagrams and start wiring! The main question is why do you want do this?
    Thanks!
    This is a swap into a project car. I like the cleanliness of the dbw install.

I'm thinking of doing it on my Formula because I like the way the larger ETC TB car's drive and progress the throttle over the quick mechanical TB. On larger stall and cam car's the ETC TB just makes driveability so much better. My main concern is trying to get the cruise control to work. I've seen people just enable ETC in the "system options" then populate the ETC tables similar to a C5 of the same OS and use a matching TAC and work fine. However I'm not certain the cruise works with it or not.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Tuner
    I have an LS1, engine harness, and ECU from a 99 F-body. I want to convert it to DBW.

Question/Clatification:

As far as the ECU is concerned, F-body and C5 both use the identical ECU just flashed with different BIN files?

Can I just repin the harness, connect/wire up the TAC module, flash the F-body ECU to C5 BIN, and everything work fine?
    2004 C5 Coupe - MM6