Thread: Where is best place to put Wideband???

Where is best place to put Wideband???

I'm very early in my tuning knowledge but I know using a Wideband to see what is really happening is highly recommended. I've searched and see several references inside of other threads somewhat related to the issue but what I'm looking for is people's opinions based on their experiences with their choice.

My intention is to use the wideband for tuning and scanning only. I'm not planning to hook up an active display that is always running.

I guess my choices are:
    1.) remove one of the NB sensors and put the WB in its place for my scanning/tuning runs
    2.) have a new bung welded in and I guess install the WB when I want to scan/tune and remove it and plug the bung otherwise.

Is there a 3rd choice? Like do #2 but leave the WB in?? I wouldn't think so, but this is why I'm asking.

Are there advantages to installing a separate WB bung as opposed to removing one of the NB for scanning and tuning purposes.

Also, if I remove a NB, does it disconnect so I can physically remove it from the car and leave it in the garage until I'm ready to reinstall? Or do I have to protect it and tie it up somewhere out of the way under the car while the WB is installed.

I have LG LT headers with hi flo cats and when I get under the car there doesn't look like there is a lot of room for another O2 sensor.

Plus, if the stock NB is removed and replaced with the WB, then don't I need to turn certain things off in the PCM?

FWIW - I have a 2001 A4
    Mods
    Vararam, ported C6 90mm TB, Fast 92, custom PBJ cam & tune, LG LT headers, Corsa Pace Car, 2800 yank, 3.42, elite insulated tunnel plate, Hardened A4, B&M tranny cooler, C6 split spoke 18x9.5f 19X11r, w/Nitto Invos

Thanks,
    -Rick
    2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG, 2001 A4 3.42 Vert Vette

Advanced Tuner
    Weld the bung in to the header collector. Whatever wideband you get will usually have guidelines in the manual on where to put the bung.
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 1LT RS

Formerly - 2004 GTO, 2002 Z28, 2007 Colorado, 2008 Silverado

I always install the WB in place of the NB. No need to weld a bung into a nice set of headers.

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    I always install the WB in place of the NB. No need to weld a bung into a nice set of headers.

Russ Kemp
    I realize these are the 2 options. Other than not welding a bung into a nice set of headers is there any other advantages of using one of the existing spots?

What do you need to do ECM-wise if you remove one of the narrow band O2s?

Turn off the AIR pump, set your Open Loop table to 1.00 at all operating temps. The car will be in open loop just by having either front O2 removed.

I always use the RF location of the WB. Just don't install it after the Cat.

Russ Kemp

I put mine in the rear spot where the rear o2 was. That way you get a reading from both banks
    '02 Corvette
    LS6, MN6, LT's/X pipe and TI's, Honker CAI, AI 243 heads, PatG Custom Cam, FAST 102, LS2 TB, Red Top inj, HPTuners & NGK/AFX

Quote Originally Posted by printmanjackson View Post
    I put mine in the rear spot where the rear o2 was. That way you get a reading from both banks
    I was thinking there was room to put a new bung directly after (down stream) one of the rear O2s.

Quote Originally Posted by TooMch View Post
    I was thinking there was room to put a new bung directly after (down stream) one of the rear O2s.
    with headers I would not use the rear o2's.

plug one and use the other for your wb sensor
    '02 Corvette
    LS6, MN6, LT's/X pipe and TI's, Honker CAI, AI 243 heads, PatG Custom Cam, FAST 102, LS2 TB, Red Top inj, HPTuners & NGK/AFX

Tuner in Training
    when you install a wide band in your stock narrowband location do you have to do each side? or will each side be the same afr

one side is fine
    '02 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyZ View Post
    when you install a wide band in your stock narrowband location do you have to do each side? or will each side be the same afr
    I'd recommend checking both. I like to do this to ensure there isn't anything odd bank to bank. Normally it is not an issue unless you have a problem. Unfortunately there will be some variability that you can't compensate. I just want to make sure I am getting the leanest.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training

wideband placement each cyl

Quote Originally Posted by TooMch View Post
    I'm very early in my tuning knowledge but I know using a Wideband to see what is really happening is highly recommended. I've searched and see several references inside of other threads somewhat related to the issue but what I'm looking for is people's opinions based on their experiences with their choice.

My intention is to use the wideband for tuning and scanning only. I'm not planning to hook up an active display that is always running.

I guess my choices are:
    1.) remove one of the NB sensors and put the WB in its place for my scanning/tuning runs
    2.) have a new bung welded in and I guess install the WB when I want to scan/tune and remove it and plug the bung otherwise.

Is there a 3rd choice? Like do #2 but leave the WB in?? I wouldn't think so, but this is why I'm asking.

Are there advantages to installing a separate WB bung as opposed to removing one of the NB for scanning and tuning purposes.

Also, if I remove a NB, does it disconnect so I can physically remove it from the car and leave it in the garage until I'm ready to reinstall? Or do I have to protect it and tie it up somewhere out of the way under the car while the WB is installed.

I have LG LT headers with hi flo cats and when I get under the car there doesn't look like there is a lot of room for another O2 sensor.

Plus, if the stock NB is removed and replaced with the WB, then don't I need to turn certain things off in the PCM?

FWIW - I have a 2001 A4
    Mods
    Vararam, ported C6 90mm TB, Fast 92, custom PBJ cam & tune, LG LT headers, Corsa Pace Car, 2800 yank, 3.42, elite insulated tunnel plate, Hardened A4, B&M tranny cooler, C6 split spoke 18x9.5f 19X11r, w/Nitto Invos

Thanks,
    -Rick
    There's always the option of placing a WB on each of the cylinders primaries, get a very good tune! I beleive nascar does this on the regular.