Thread: Is there anyway to read signal from wheel speed sensors?

Advanced Tuner

Is there anyway to read signal from wheel speed sensors?

exactly what it says. is there anyway to log info off the rear wheel speed sensors? i want to log wheel spin for the sake of tuning the traction control.

also, if its known... are they a 0-5v reference or a 0-1 volt reference?

Advanced Tuner
    anyone?

Advanced Tuner
    bueller?

Potential Tuner
    i don't know about the rear wheel sensors, but there is one guy I know that did a 84 monte ss with blazer front hubs and read the speed from there.

Advanced Tuner
    that does me no good with what i have. the idea is to log accel with normal traction and without. plus some other stuff
    Last edited by Wnts2Go10O; 04-05-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Wheel speed sensors are hooked directly to ABS system, not to the PCM.
    If any wheel speed difference is detected under acceleration, the ABS module sends a traction control request to the PCM (spark retard signal).
    Under normal driving any wheel speed difference will trip a ABS MIL

You can create a PID to know rear wheels speed using the trans Vss. Even under severe wheel spin there is no slip between trans and wheel, so using the Vss you can do a little math to know wheel speed in any form you want it.

I think what you need to know is front wheel speed to compare it vs rear wheels, but as I said the PCM can't see any wheel speed directly.

Maybe with a Tech2 you can tap into the serial bus to see wheel speed from ABS module

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    Wheel speed sensors are hooked directly to ABS system, not to the PCM.
    If any wheel speed difference is detected under acceleration, the ABS module sends a traction control request to the PCM (spark retard signal).
    Under normal driving any wheel speed difference will trip a ABS MIL

You can create a PID to know rear wheels speed using the trans Vss. Even under severe wheel spin there is no slip between trans and wheel, so using the Vss you can do a little math to know wheel speed in any form you want it.

I think what you need to know is front wheel speed to compare it vs rear wheels, but as I said the PCM can't see any wheel speed directly.

Maybe with a Tech2 you can tap into the serial bus to see wheel speed from ABS module
    theres gotta be some way to read them. i saw "wheel accel/decel" but have no clue if its anything useful at the moment.

what i want to do is come up with a way to compare the rear wheel speed and the engine rpm and maybe vss output to the front wheel speed and somehow calculate slip.

Tuner in Training
    With different software I've logged acceleration in mph/second. After a few logs you'll see a pattern in how many mph you gain per second and if it jumps higher than normal, your spinning your tires.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansas T View Post
    With different software I've logged acceleration in mph/second. After a few logs you'll see a pattern in how many mph you gain per second and if it jumps higher than normal, your spinning your tires.
    could also do that by comparing wheel speeds and rpm, which i would like to do

Advanced Tuner
    bump

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O View Post
    bump
    REAR WSS is controlled by ABS
    ABS sends request data to PCM via dataline

Just not available via Pcm