Thread: Some changes I'm making don't seem to do anything? LNF...

Potential Tuner

Some changes I'm making don't seem to do anything? LNF...

I got my HPT flash tool for my '07 Solstice GXP recently and I've gotten my boost, timing, and AFR dialed in, but some of the other tables I'm modifying don't seem to be doing anything.

For instance, I'm modifying the RPM vs. Gear table, and as I understand it that limits torque in a specific gear. I neutered my 5th gear in the table but it didn't limit torque in that gear for some reason. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Also, I'm noticing that I don't make full boost until after 3000rpm in fourth gear even though my MALT is all 99% everywhere. When I look at my MAX Torque vs RPM table it's all 100% everywhere. So what other table could be limiting boost below 3000rpm?

Are there some tables that are shown for all platforms but not supported on the Sol or something? Any guidance would be very greatly appreciated! I can post the tune if that's helpful too.

...and if I could get greedy with the questions, how much boost/timing are you guys managing on 91-octane?

Tuner in Training
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38357

That thread has a link for every question in your post. It has a ton of info on just how far every can or has be/en pushed. Nick's tuning guide is a great starting point and often times is all you'll need to get going, the link has his post in it. The other posts in that thread are loaded with info good and bad. I recommend giving them all a read or at least a good glance. Good luck the sky/sol has a ton of potential just takes a ton of learning and a bit of trial and error. Posts by (in no particular order) gmtech, backyardturbo (BYT), terminator2 (term2), and iam broke (IMB) are always worth a read. They all seem to lack the fear of blowing something up to learn and share, and all have posted info they could have easily sold for nice profits, so don't abuse their willingness to share please. Colbaltssoverbooster, has spent plenty of his time consolidating info and adding guides as well, which is why I linked his post.

Good luck
    Last edited by COSky; 04-04-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Potential Tuner
    COSky, thank you so much for the reply! And I'm sorry for coming back to this thread so long after the fact

I've actually been through all of those threads at one time or another and I don't recall seeing an answer to my particular question (regarding the torque tables anyway). But I'll keep digging and see if the answer is in there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Potential Tuner
    I'm not having any luck finding an answer to my question. I've looked through all of the linked threads (that would have any relevance, anyway) without any luck. I'm trying to understand why the "RPM vs Gear" table doesn't seem to affect anything, and why my boost seems like it's neutered below 3000rpm...

If the tables simply don't work on my platform, could someone just let me know so I don't waste more time trying to figure out why they aren't doing anything? Thank you!

Edit: Okay, I may have found an answer to the RPM vs Gear question. Gonna go out and see if my latest change did anything...
    Last edited by Click Here; 04-21-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Mine works just fine
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    U have a tune you can post
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    Absolutely, thanks for taking a look

I did discover what my issue was with limiting torque in a particular gear. So that works.

I still don't understand why I can't get like 17psi at ~2500rpm though. Best I can tell the throttle is kind of like rolling open instead of going right to 100%, which sucks. Is that meant to limit boost spikes or something?

Of course, if you see anything else I'm doing that's dumb please call me out on it. Thank you so much for your help...

Edit: Added a log file that sort of illustrates what I'm talking about. This was above 3000rpm but you can see when I mat it the ECU kind of rolls into the throttle instead of opening it right up. I feel like this is worse at lower RPM and makes the car feel gutless. I wasn't sure if I could, or should change this, but I'd like to if I can.
    Last edited by Click Here; 04-22-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Ugh...so I guess I can't limit boost in /just/ 5th gear? I tried making adjustments so fifth gear ran lower boost and it seemed to affect 4th gear as well. That sucks

In any event, I took another log last night that I think better illustrates what I'm talking about regarding boost at lower RPM. In looking at this log it just looks to me like the throttle is rolling open, which prevents boost from coming on quickly. I'm still not sure if this is to prevent overboosting, or is just to keep the car from feeling 'twitchy' down-low. Either way, I want that gone, haha. New screenshot of the log attached...

Thanks for the help!

Sorry, no can do with the tables we can access. If you log the throttle response key on, engine not running you will see how fast the throttle can open, but the ESC nanny never sleeps.

Even with ESC OFF after holding the button 15 sec, if you spin in third she will close the throttle. I've always suspected they are connected in some of the 400-500 tables we cannot see. The Nanny is never truly asleep.

You should be able to limit boost differently in 5th than 4th, more load on the engine in 5th requires a bigger reduction in your torque limit to limit the boost.

I typ set up third then chop 4th & 5th another 10-15%. Hard to get to 4k in 5th though to test it.

Trifecta was working on the 1:1 throttle over a year ago but I think to do it he had to disable ABS, ESC & some other functions. Never heard of a final outcome though. I doubt the clutch & drivetrain could handle it very long with sticky tires.
    Last edited by Iam Broke; 04-23-2012 at 03:24 PM.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Potential Tuner
    Iam Broke, man, thank you so much for the response. Even if it's not the answer I wanted to hear, I appreciate the information greatly. Now I can stop worrying about it since there's nothing I can do!

I am probably doing something dumb in the rpm vs gear table. I'll go back and double check it. I thought since the axes for the table were screwed that maybe it was applying my torque limitations to more than one gear...

Thanks man!

I thought they fixed that in the betas. 7 appears to be reverse and 0 is clutch depressed or neutral IIRC. It's been a while since I visited it though.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel