Thread: Was this done right...?

Potential Tuner

Was this done right...?

So a friend of mine bought an 06 LBZ and since I have HP we decided to try and put a tune on it. I used the write up that seems to float around on here without a problem and I used the correct timing table sheet for the truck. The issue is that we noticed absolutly no difference except that the shifting was very sloppy. Would like if someone could look over the tune and see if it was done correctly or if I possibly misentered a value or put it in the wrong area. Thanks. He also wants to know if there will be smoke. If not how can we get a reasonable amount.

Senior Tuner
    You skipped the part for adding boost. Why 45% on the calculator? redo to 50% or step it. The transmission will always shift weird after a flash, have to drive it and let computer relearn. You may have to go in and edit torque management.

Potential Tuner
    ok. I will go in and do the boost part. I was unsure because it says not to do that with stock fueling. Ill let you know how it goes later on tonight

Potential Tuner
    Well it seems to run good. He said he notices some power increase down low but is very im pressed with the fuel economy(20MPG last night). I guess I should start playing with the timing tables on excel to add some power up top so it keeps pulling. Im a little confused as to what the 50/50, 55/45, 40/60... all mean. I know the 55/45 down low or in the cruise range is going to get better mpg and the 40/60 will get more power but what are those percentages actually representing. (Before TDC)/(then after TDC)?

He still is saying he wants some smoke. I read on some other sites that you just modify the pulse width tables for that but then read on here that anything above 20% more PW becomes dangerous for the trans. Is this correct or is there a better/safer way to go about getting a little black fog.

Potential Tuner
    He is also still complaining that the trans feels like it is slipping at WOT.

Senior Tuner
    The search function is your friend

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34453

Smoke is wasted fuel, does nothing for power. I dont do it, and Im not going to instruct on how too.

Torgue management is kicking, pulling out large amounts of fuel to allow transmission to shift. Modify your peak torque table in engine torque management 50 at a time from 1800 to 3400 all the way accross until you are happy with the feel
    OR
    Reduce trans torque request percentage maximum under Transmission torque management. Only change until you are happy with feel of shift, if you take it out all together its very hard on transmission. And with either mod you have to drive for 15 mins or so running up and down through the gears so the timing can be learned(in town stop and go driving works nicely).

Potential Tuner
    thanks.