Thread: Idle Question (Timing)h

Tuner in Training

Idle Question (Timing)h

Ok, I have read alot of posts about tuning idle. I have come to the conclusion from multiple posts that the best way to find best timing for idle is to look at MAP and find the timing that gives the best MAP....well I played with the timing and watched the MAP. I have it set to 18* right now. I used the scanner controls and went up to 38* at idle and confirmed it was running 38* timing through the scanner. No change in MAP it actually went down but the lope or choppy sound was almost non existent. So, I went the other way, starting at 18* and actually subtracted the maximum 20* of timing, the MAP went up the entire time! The more I took out the more it went up. Running 0* of timing at idle the car definitely had a choppy sounding idle and the MAP increased from about 48 to almost 60 at 0* timing. Any suggestions? Kinda confused how pulling 20* timing and running at 0* is raising the MAP. The cam is a 226/230 on a 111 LSA. Thanks for any advice. The idle sounds much better with lower timing!

You want the MAP reading to be lower, not higher.
    One of the oldest idle tuning methods is to find the most vacuum you can. More vacuum means the engine is running stronger.
    The MAP is an absolute sensor, so you need to give it more timing until MAP Kpa are the lowest.

You need to find the right combination of timing, fuel and RPM to get that awesome chopping idle.

The lower the MAP the better. Low MAP means more vacuum for power brakes.

Tuner in Training
    Wow, I was bas ackwards! Thanks alot! I thought I was trying to get the highest MAP! Ok that makes sense, it idles much smoother the lower the MAP is, but it definitely chops more the higher the MAP is (less timing). I will just start adjusting the timing up and play with rpm through the controls in the scanner trying to find that sweet chop! Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.
    Last edited by NBMLS2TA; 03-31-2012 at 12:33 AM.