Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob question about KR

Noob question about KR

Hi all, This is my first thread here and I have a question.

What is too much KR? I know 0 is perfect and I wouldnt want anything above 0 but I am getting tuned via email from a performance shop and We have been back and forth with logs and flashes.

This is the highest KR I have seen and am very worried about it... I think I will flash the stock rom till they send me an update but would like some advice.

I have attached a log from 3rd gear WOT pull.

Thanks in advance!!!

I also did a 4th gear pull but forgot to save the log but I saw up to 7.4 KR

Car Info might be important:

2007 Sky Redline LNF

CAI and everything else STOCK.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    something isnt right......
    9.5* advance -low
    6* kr -dangerous like very dangerous
    .86 lambda - great
    boost lo res by itself is reading an flastline of 296kpa
    now subtract the idle kpa of 102 and you have 194kpa at wot which converts to 28.1 psi
    which is a definate no no......your max kpa with idle subtracted should be 165kpa which is 24.
    i will also show the backup info from custom pid boost lo res - baro sensor which you failed to log but thats ok ill get close by subtracting 14.7 psi for atmospheric value which oh look is 101kpa so 1 kpa difference would put you with this:
    2800rpm-26.3psi\
    3500rpm-29.7psi \
    4000rpm-27.4psi \ bad
    4500rpm-28.3psi /
    5000rpm-27.4psi /
    5000rpm-25.4psi/
    6000rpm-23.9psi good
    6320rpm-24.2psi good

these values are proof of you overboosting the the crap out of that factory turbo thus overheating the cylinder temps causeing unneccessary kr. you are also risking piston ring land failure. if you get the boost down to a steady 23.8-24 psi you will not only see the kr go away but 1) it will allow more timing to be added 2) feel alot smoother and stronger garunteed

i suggest finding my lnf config it will log everything you need to see for intake temps, camshaft phasing, fuel ratio, boost, and ignition advance and retard. that way when we look at a specific problem all we have to do is make the custom histograms that us people looking at it have for our personal use.

good luck man lowering boost should solve your problems
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 03-30-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Just found it after I pm'ed you. So whats the best way to lower boost? I am new to this and dont fully understand what was being talked about in the turbo settings thread in your Help thread. I was reading there are different methods from my understanding. Which do you use?

go into the torque management tab/turbocharger tab/ bottom left should be a wg duty cycle maximum cell raise to 100
    then in the chart for wg duty cycle right above it use that chart to controll boost and boost spikes. the values represent the actual wgduty cycle sent to the control solenoid by the ecu. raise the value to increase boost and lower it to decrease boost.

remember watch the custom hist of pid.2338-pid.51 which is boost lo res-baro sensor
    if you tell it to read psi in the histogram configuration page instead of kpa it will auto convert for you.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 03-30-2012 at 02:15 PM.

Still have knock and I lowered boost. I am at 23PSI... My timing is fairly conservative IMO.... cobaltssoverbooster... what do you think this knock is from?

The damage might already be done.
    Total Masshole.
    2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost - STOCK
    2013 Mustang GT Premium - Lots of Mods, 424 RWHP SOLD
    2009 Cobalt SS/TC Black Sedan
    227whp/224wtq Stock. Dejon CP, K&N SRI, Forge BPV, Catless, BadMab Catless DP, MPx 3" Catback, HPT Tuned 328whp/425wtq. SOLD
    2004 GTO Pulse Red 1 of 512 - R.I.P. 5/31/09

Im no expert but has anyone looked at the Tables in the General tab under Torque Management? To me some do not look like they are set correctly and can that cause his issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin85 View Post
    The damage might already be done.
    Compression test is in order... Suspecting a popped ringland or two. Are you losing much oil?
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Will get that checked out this week. I just installed the stock tune and did some wot pulls and zero knock. even when I stab the accelerator, let off and get back on... on the previous tune I had knock at these times....

God I hope I didnt chip the piston....

Normal Comp on the LNF is 155-160 ish, all 4 plugs out, pull the fuel pump and injector fuses so it isn't spraying. Crank it through 4-5 comp strokes of the cyl you are testing.

You may have crummy fuel in your region like I do. Blend in a few gals of E85 and see if the KR stops. Better yet tune it for a 1:1 mix of premium and E85. 24 psi & 24* advance with no KR is easy then.

I have flashed stock tune with stock timing re calibrated for the 3 bar map sensor and raised the boost to 22psi and zero knock.... Must have been the tune I received. going to rent a dyno next week and going to start raising timing a degree at a time... Any recommendations? I am first going to do a compression test this weekend but the car is running GREAT and no oil consumption to my knowledge. No smoke in exhaust car is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by ericemir View Post
    I have flashed stock tune with stock timing re calibrated for the 3 bar map sensor and raised the boost to 22psi and zero knock.... Must have been the tune I received. going to rent a dyno next week and going to start raising timing a degree at a time... Any recommendations? I am first going to do a compression test this weekend but the car is running GREAT and no oil consumption to my knowledge. No smoke in exhaust car is perfect.
    Sounds like somewhere along the line your file got corrupted. Start over with your modified tune and perform a save as. You should be fine

I have reflashed the original HIGH knock tune and it still does it... I am not understanding what you mean by do a save as....

Quote Originally Posted by ericemir View Post
    Better to street tune the LNF IMO, 3rd gear 60-100 is the sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    Better to street tune the LNF IMO, 3rd gear 60-100 is the sweet spot.
    My 3rd gear takes me to 88mph LOL but a dyno is less expensive then a speeding ticket worse arrested

Interstate ramps FTW. Whatever works for you though.

Post your most recent tune and I'll peek in there

from the posted tune i see(hptuner tune4):
    -dals adjusted under 80%load, i dont think its necessary but if your increase is causing it to make boost you asked for timing. i adjust my 100% load and smooth carefully to 80%
    -you ar commanding 13.9 afr at wot from 1000rom to damn near 4500 what are you trying to do melt your pistons.....you need to be at in the range of .86-.88
    -your catalyst over temp protection will cause you to run 14.7 commanded afr if the ecu decides the cat is getting to hot. setting that table to all 1.00 will command afr of 14.7 if that mode is triggered....again dangerous at wot.
    -spark correction afr base needs to be zero'd out to 1.00 so from the far left al the way to 1.00 make it all 0.00 this table is adding or subtracting timing as afr changes instead of running what you command.
    -tourque management cylinder disable the far right side under the value 3 need to be 15 all the way down to allow for proper defco operation.
    -disable load dampening
    -max torque should be all 100 and max airload torque or MALT should be factory values till 3000rpm at whitch it should be 99.99 and every cell after that is 100
    -brake torque limit and egt limit need to be 100 as well
    now lets go to the engine map sensor section to see if something is going on there.....
    -enable overbost/underboost raise to 10,500rom both cells to brevent boost nanny
    -map sensor p0106 range high needs to be raised to the 511.99218750 value
    which should prevent boost nanny past 23.5 psi
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 04-06-2012 at 05:31 PM.