Thread: Doing a swap and need help

Tuner in Training

Doing a swap and need help

Ok, heres the deal, i have a 1992 GMC Sonoma GT, similar to the Syclone just no turbo and 2WD instead of AWD, and they only made 806 of them.

Im rebuilding the whole truck from the ground up, and was orginally going to build a 5.0L Turbo V6 Monster, but have decided that the reliability i want can tbe had in such a radical motor.

So i have ditched the V6 and gotten an LQ9 6.0L block, that i plan to put in a eagle forged bottem end in it, 4in stroke crank, 6.100 rods and JE flat tops, ported LS6 heads, 11.1 or so CR and the LS1 Hot Cam and full Comp valvetrain with 1.85 rockers. FAST Composite Intake and 90MM TB.

Anyways, my questions is what is the best engine harness and PCM to use in my truck with said engine, camaro, or vette or a truck harness and computer, also should i get the speed denisty option, i plan to spray the engine with a 200 shot of gas also.

I would also like to be able to hook up my stock chassis and cab harness so that al my guages still work and the like, and have the OBD-2 connector in my stock location under the column.

Im thinking the VCM Suite 1.7 with the 1 bar speed density option and the enhanced cable.

Oh, and im planning on reusing my stock(althouht fully built) 700R4 trans and 3500 stall lock up converter, will this be possible?

Sorry this is kinda long, just need some answers, im getting parts together now, to get the engine built and then its on to the computer and wiring.

Mike
    1992 GMC Sonoma GT #0003

2002 Blazer ZR2
    401ci gen5 LTx
    AWD/T56

1998 Olds Bravada
    Turbo 4.3 AWD
    "Winter Beater"

2008 Avalanche
    Daily Driver

Advanced Tuner

Re: Doing a swap and need help

Mike,
    Call John Spears at Speartech (http://www.speartech.com/). I had him modify an F-body harness for my car. If you already have a computer and harness from the LQ9 he can modify that to work or he can do a completely custom harness so that you can put the PCM wherever you want. 1999 and up, the PCM is the same (hardware wise) so it doesn't matter which one you get. Anyone with the proper software can put whatever calibration you need on it.

In case you haven't see it, LS1Tech has a great Conversions & Hybrids section. I'm sure that there are at least a few 90s S-trucks with Gen3 engines running around, so the information is out there.

Good luck with your truck.

-Matt
    1970 Corvette LS1/T56
    2001 Corvette Z06

Tuner in Training

Thanks for the great info, and no i dont have the harness and computer and it would be nice to put the comoputer inside the cab like my stocker to keep things clean under the hood.

Thanks again.
    Mike
    1992 GMC Sonoma GT #0003

2002 Blazer ZR2
    401ci gen5 LTx
    AWD/T56

1998 Olds Bravada
    Turbo 4.3 AWD
    "Winter Beater"

2008 Avalanche
    Daily Driver

Advanced Tuner

You will need the complete wiring harness to go with the motor. Instead of the LS1 hotcam have you looked at other options from comp cams or ligenfelter or even an LS6 cam to go with the heads and maybe pick up an LS6 intake manifold? The motor sounds like its going to be a monster. I have a Nelson Performance tune and Allen has done many a tunes for swaps just like yours. www.ls1truck.com has lots of answers and people who have done the swaps also.

Chris
    2009 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L, stock.