Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LNF Issues

LNF Issues

Ok, so new to this LNF engine, and I read through all the how to blogs...still having issues, just wondering if anyone else has seen this stuff.

1st, the car is an Auto, and it seems no way to keep it in any set gear. I can't control it like some through the logger on/off functions, and inside the tuner the trans tab is completely blank. So about the only way I'm really able to make some comparisons is by doing a full WOT pull through all the gears then graphing it vs speed? Not sure if this is going to give me the comparison I want, it seems to be a bit all over the place.

2. This thing knocks like none other! Even with the completely stock tune on it, it's pulling 3-6* pretty much through the whole power band. I can't tell if this is phantom knock or if the car was for some reason tuned by Chevy this way? Anything I do tuning wise, seems to make it worse though. I've tried pulling a bit of timing, didn't help. I added fuel, didn't help. I copy/pasted the GMPP map, made it worse! From what the dyno is reading (not that I'm doing a very accurate comparison) the boost is going up, and the power is going down!

I'll jump to my other computers and upload the Logs/Dyno.

CK

Dyno Graph

Pink is with the tune, blue/green is stock. Top graph is power/tq, bottom is AFR and Boost. Seems like the pink has MUCH more boost @60mph + but not so much on power.

Also the shift points don't line up well since the we bumped the stock from 6300 to 6500.

Two logs, one stock, one with the GMPP tune (most of it, not the MAP recal).

i dont know how much of it would work, if at all but i would try logging with more parameters... try my config and see how much works. Its really hard to tell since i dont see anything for actual fueling, i see commanded lambda but not actual, boost got to 20psi and nothing crazy in timing. My config has knock retard monitored for all cylinders so that may help

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    for starters based off of the dyno graph i notice the afr is extemely rich....the lnf runs an afr of 12.6-12.9 at wot under full boost up to 24 psi. i believe larger turbo applications with high boost may be slightly rich to keep cylinders cool but factory turbo thats what she diggs.

i will give you a bumpstart since i dont know what your current tune looks like i will make mine safe as possible. it will be a gmpp stage kit for a cobalt ss but the tables are the same and you can see what we are doing.
    tune file has:
    -factory gmpp cam tables for cobalt ss(soltice charts have a different axis scale iirc)
    -factory ignition tables
    -modified pe tables for the generous fueling of .86 from 3k to max rpm
    -modified cat overtemp to match commanded pe
    -factory maf calibration gmpp kit (i would use the vales that came with the stock soltice for airflow vs freq)
    -neutralized maf base table for fuel trim and maf calibrating
    -torque management dissabled
    -rpmxgear torque 100% max torque allowed for all gears if you wantdifferent thats all you
    -boost raised and wg duty cycle corrected to help prevent overboosting and surge on initial run
    -the map and boost sensor values in the engine diagnostics section are for 3bar sensors..if you dont have them only use the overboost enable rpm modified value and modified values for the maximum range high on the map sensors.

the attached tune is a GUIDE....it is very basic tune no special powers or harry potter shit done to it. you will have to open as compare and copy and paste if you wish to use its values...

keep us informed as we are still in a way reverse engineering all the lnf ecu control patterns and everything new helps.
    for future reference when asking for help always post you current tune with issues if you have issues.....and the logs catching your concerns or issues. we can get answers to you much faster.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 03-28-2012 at 10:43 PM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

But what I don't get is the knock? Why so much knock on stock tune? Is this normal or acceptable? It's not with any other car I tune on HPT. And I'm pretty sure at this point it is true knock, because if I rape the timing tables -3* it all goes away, but then I'm running so little timing I'm not even at factory HP levels.

CK

the knock sensors on the lnf are sensitive but i get rid of it so i know i wont have a chance at pre-det destroying the ring lands. it is very common for the factory stock tunes to have kr* and even the gmpp 3bar conversion kits all stock have some as well.

At this point the only thing that seems reasonable is that the customer accidentally put 85 octane in it. I'm pretty sure it's true knock since it goes away with almost no timing, but even when I'm running richer (or leaner cause I tried), with way less timing than stock (-4*) and WAY less timing than what you guys on here or the GMPP tune seem to be running (I'm talking 7* or less at redline in the 140% column), I still get knock. It's really the only thing at this point that makes sense to me. That and possibly the plugs. I noticed they're a 5 for heat range (ngk), which is way hotter than any other car I've ever run. Do you guys recommend switching them for a couple steps colder? I know this thing is a different beast than the LSx platforms I'm used to tuning.

CK

NGK 3787 are 1 step colder than stock, 5476 are the stock heat range iirc.

Worth trying the 3787's but I doubt it'll cure it.

If you can see the knock sensors, the leads should be at 9 o'clock. Didn't make much difference on my LNF though.

Log individual KR, #4 is the most prone to it. Like was posted above don't run the PE any richer than .88 lambda. Limit midrange boost to 24 psi to preserve the ringlands.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

I also have an Auto trans and you Trans tab should not be blank. If it is then you have the wrong version of the software. Also there should be a Trans Diagnostic tab. There are many things you can change in the trans such as strength of shift and shift points. During the week I leave the GMPP shift points there for better mpg (28 mpg average) but on the weekends I have them stay much longer in each gear. I have noticed when looking at tunes with standard transmissions when I click the tab it is just a blank box.
    Old Car 2008 HHR SS Auto
    GMTU, TTR Solid Engine Mount and 1" Sway Bar.

Now 2013 Sonic RS Turbo
    DDMWorks Intake, ZZP Rear Sway Bar.

1972 Chevy Pickup
    L48 350 Holley 650, Weiand Alum Intake Manifold Water Pump and Pulley, Hot cam, 12 Bolt, Headers, Hurst Shifter.

I've been told they unlocked the HHR's and possibly the cobalts, but not the redlines.

Odd. Not the same ECU?
    Old Car 2008 HHR SS Auto
    GMTU, TTR Solid Engine Mount and 1" Sway Bar.

Now 2013 Sonic RS Turbo
    DDMWorks Intake, ZZP Rear Sway Bar.

1972 Chevy Pickup
    L48 350 Holley 650, Weiand Alum Intake Manifold Water Pump and Pulley, Hot cam, 12 Bolt, Headers, Hurst Shifter.

No Sky Redlines and Solstice GXP's do not have the tranny tabs unlocked all blanky for us.

my car is running .86 and i just left the biggest soot cloud ever today.....and i was in front of a diesel f250 all bro'd out so justice was served

I run a .82 PE.....
    Total Masshole.
    2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost - STOCK
    2013 Mustang GT Premium - Lots of Mods, 424 RWHP SOLD
    2009 Cobalt SS/TC Black Sedan
    227whp/224wtq Stock. Dejon CP, K&N SRI, Forge BPV, Catless, BadMab Catless DP, MPx 3" Catback, HPT Tuned 328whp/425wtq. SOLD
    2004 GTO Pulse Red 1 of 512 - R.I.P. 5/31/09

^^^ Whatever floats your boat, I run leaner than that on my LS1. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    ^^^ Whatever floats your boat, I run leaner than that on my LS1. lol.

I'm not on the stock turbo anymore but I had to run a .82lambda to clear up the knock I was seeing.

On the ls1 I would say around .88 yea?
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 04-21-2012 at 08:41 PM.

No, not on E85, closer to .85 @ 33*.

I forgot u ran E fuels