Thread: Disable STFT for OL MAF Tuning?

Tuner in Training

Disable STFT for OL MAF Tuning?

I have dialed in my VE table using a wideband and OL. I'm ready to move to MAF tuning but I don't see any way of disabling OL STFT? I am on the right tab "Open and Closed Loop" but there are no options for STFT. I am using the 2.23.474 Beta software. Is it possible that I am missing a table because of the Beta software or is there a way to unhide tables? I remember seeing something about choosing a level of tuning experience but I didn't see it on the Beta software. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using the SD VE and MAF Tuning instructions rev2 and am also curious if I need to disable the LTFTs when tuning the MAF using a wideband? It doesn't specify this in the guide and the Histogram shown for tuning the MAF has the Fuel Trims included. I am confused obviously!
    Thanks
    Matt
    Last edited by NBMLS2TA; 03-26-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    When using a wideband you want the fuel trims off so the pcm doesn't have any fueling correction otherwise you will just keep going in circles. Post the file if you want help
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

Tuner in Training
    I understand that the trims should be off, I only have the option to disable LTFT there is no option for STFT that is what is causing me issues. Just curious if the Beta version has that option or maybe I can enable hidden tables somehow? I know I have seen the choices for Beginner Intermediate and Expert or something along those lines to enable and disable certain features in the VCM Suite.

Tuner in Training
    I attached a screenshot from the editor. If I understand correctly there should be a STFT Tab just like the one for LTFT that would allow me to disable them. From what I hav seen it is supposed to be right under the EQ Ratio Button. Hopefully this helps point out my problem!
    Thanks again for your help!

Yea I have a drop box under the open loop eq button that lets me disable stft in OL.
    2003 Chevy Silverado Daily Driver, 408 Iron Block,
    LS3 Heads/Intake, 231/239 114, 4L80e, Yank SST 3200.

Tuner in Training
    Do you disable the fuel trims when you are doing MAF only Tuning? How about DFCO? I am tuning with a wideband, I have the VE table done.
    Thanks for the reply

There are a few tuning guides floating around here. They give you step by step instructions for setting the tune up for VE, MAF, and PE tuning.
    2003 Chevy Silverado Daily Driver, 408 Iron Block,
    LS3 Heads/Intake, 231/239 114, 4L80e, Yank SST 3200.

Advanced Tuner
    When using a wideband whether you are tuning the VE or MAF you need to disable and clear the fuel trims, turn off DFCO, turn off COT. If you had fuel trims on and not cleared out when you tuned the VE then you need to start over.

Advanced Tuner
    Make sure under Edit -> View -> it is set to Advanced to see all the tables and post the tune if you want help

Tuner in Training
    Thank you very much for the responses. I checked and it was set to Standard. I set it to Advanced and got a few more tables but not ones that I would use or need for my tune. I spoke to support@hptuners and received a little help. Apparently there is no "Disable" option for STFT in the 98 LS1 Operating System. I am hoping that forcing open loop on these older PCMs also forces STFT to be disabled. I think that the OL STFT is something added to later operating systems. I definitely had all the Fuel Trims I could get to disabled. I did VE and MAF seperately. Turned everything back on and I was between 0 and -2 LTFTs and 12.9 to 12.7 in PE which is what I commanded. LTFT go to zero at PE so no fuel is being added or taken away due to Fuel Trims. So tune seems really good, I had 1 degree of knock at 4,000 rpm .8 g/cyl at 27* timing so backed off 1 degree. Only thing is now I can't seem to get DFCO to come back on. I set all tables for DFCO back to stock and it doesn't seem to kick in. I remember the LTFTs would peg in the negatives when it would kick in but it isn't doing it now. One more thing from my own tuning experience, the car seemed extremely responsive, and really smooth in OL both MAF and VE tuning. When I re-enabled everything together it seems to have lost a little of its responsiveness (snap), but is running spot on to what I tuned in. I guess I will deal with a little less responsiveness to gain the Closed Loop control. By the way, the tune was needed because I replaced my seized LS1 with an LS2 from an 06 Trailblazer SS. I put Pacesetter Longtubes, and a EPS 226/230 .598"/.600" 111 LSA Cam, and LS6 intake on it. It runs great, the power band is very broad, I like it much better than the G5x2 I had in the LS1. It feels "seat of the pants" WAY stronger than the old set up. Can't wait to get it to a track. Thanks for the help guys, if you have any suggestions for the DFCO issue i would really appreciate it!:

Advanced Tuner
    Your MAP kpa reading will be higher with the cam so you may need to raise the settings for DFCO to function

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Flame, I just looked at the Entry MAP and it was at 18! My logs never showed below a 20 except for a split second when I let off the gas, it was back up to 28-30 by the next frames.
    I adjusted and will give it a try after work! Thanks again