Thread: 228R in a 98

Tuner in Training

228R in a 98

I have been having trouble trying to dial in a 228r cam in my 1998 Trans Am. It seems like I can't get the LTFTs and the VE table even close. I even went as far as to reinstall a 100% stock tune and follow the basic steps for installing a cam and I cannot get the LTFT's to settle down (below -15 or so). Is there anyone that has a rough 228 tune that I could look at? I guess I'm probably making an adjustment incorrectly or I am missing something. I know the 98 computer is somewhat limited, but I'm just trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I have a log somewhere that I can post from the scanner. It's of the bone stock tune with the idle raised to 900 RPM to help keep it running.

Last edited by printmanjackson; 03-16-2012 at 02:27 PM.
    '02 Corvette
    LS6, MN6, LT's/X pipe and TI's, Honker CAI, AI 243 heads, PatG Custom Cam, FAST 102, LS2 TB, Red Top inj, HPTuners & NGK/AFX

Tuner in Training
    I think I figured out some of my issues. My car has a secondary VE table and I need to make sure that both the primary and secondary VE is the same. I didn't touch the secondary VE. Car is down right now with clutch issues so not much I can do... I figured out a Heads/MS3 Corvette last weekend so I'll get this one sorted out.

Yes I have a wideband in the car. With a stock tune in the car, it was like 13.1-13.2:1 AFR but with only 25 degrees of WOT timing.

Tuner in Training
    LOL................I was about to ask if you changed the secondary ve? Glad you found that.
    1999 Camaro SS #1601

1998 Z28 M6 cam/heads/bolt ons/9"